Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 1: Jets @ Lions *Monday Night* Thread

One of the first questions that a franchise GM would ask a prospective HCing candidate, is who he had in mind for his assistants, or one would think, anyway. It appears that since Patricia had no inkling that he was soon going to become a sought after potential HC, that he didn't have a list of prospective assistants to choose from, much less one for each position. I don't know if he would have retained Austin as his DC, but it didn't matter, since he jumped ship for the same position with the Bengals.

Then there is also the obvious issue with the desirability of joining the Lions organization in any capacity, as there are many football clubs that are preferable to Detroit's, as far as future promotions, a history of success, and lifestyle choices.

Last edited:
Defense Had a new Scheme so maybe we can give them a little pass. But really not after starting with a pick 6 . They were beyond awful after that interception.

Now the offense . No fucking excuses how a 10 vet with all his players back on offense except Ebron that they were not prepared to play. Jim Bob Cooter has to go. His in game play calling is putrid. His game plan was putrid. Man it was painful to watch.

Can't stand Cooters play calling, but this loss is all Stafford. The worst game I've seen him play.

Can't stand Cooters play calling, but this loss is all Stafford. The worst game I've seen him play.

Stafford looked disinterested to say the least like he had not prepared all off season. Even jbc admitted last year his play calling was predictable. What the fuck has changed?

Don’t forget that Stafford is probably the main reason Cooter is still here. Sure some the spineless higher ups are ultimately responsible, but Stafford made his opinion known and they wanted to keep him happy.

Don?t forget that Stafford is probably the main reason Cooter is still here. Sure some the spineless higher ups are ultimately responsible, but Stafford made his opinion known and they wanted to keep him happy.

I know . I thought it was a mistake to keep him and Patrica should not be codddling his Qb.

I don't think it is a over reaction. Bob Quinn hasn't made this team any better and he never leaves his comfort zone. He kept Caldwell and his staff for a 2 seasons, now he kept JBC, and he only does business with the Patriots. Patricia after one game looks like a terrible pick for head coach and way over his head.

Quinn also hasn't been really successful in the draft, 2 of his 2nd round picks never play, Robinson and Tabor. That is absolutely getting no vaule out of picks. This year his top 2 picks were meant to make the running game a strength and they could do nothing. So he ignored the pass rush and kept Ansah and made the running game the same. What has he done to make this team better? If they don't win at least 7 games(which looks unlikely) Martha needs to cut bait. He was brought in to get the Lions over the Caldwell hump and this team is sliding backwards.

Last, which most people probably will disagree. Stafford will never lead this team to a championship. I agree he is above average but he is like Marino. He doesn't make the team better. He is highly inconsistent, costs a ton, and never checks into positive plays. They should be bringing someone in that has the potential to be good not Cassell who can't even carry a team for a half. Bring in someone like Connor Cook or Paxton Lynch and let them at least learn and push Stafford. Then if we are in a position to draft a qb that can change the team you dump Stafford. But just keeping Stafford around and drafting offensive players is not going to do it.

I won't shit on Stafford after one game though that seems like something I would do.. But I've said it for a long time when has he won a game we had no reason to win.. Like the best of the best do (A. Rogers on Sunday). He's not this top 5 QB that everyone seems to think. Never has been.

And how many HC, GM is it going to take for them to build a defense. Tiring watching them try and fix the running game.

I won't shit on Stafford after one game though that seems like something I would do.. But I've said it for a long time when has he won a game we had no reason to win.. Like the best of the best do (A. Rogers on Sunday). He's not this top 5 QB that everyone seems to think. Never has been.

And how many HC, GM is it going to take for them to build a defense. Tiring watching them try and fix the running game.

I have defended Stafford most of the time but like you said he does not lead us to wins when something is on the line. It is hard to get the run game going when Matt can't check out of the play correctly. Plus we bring in a new OL and RB and they don't even try and establish the run. I agree build the defense, the offense has enough pieces to be good.

Stafford knows that he is being way overpaid like an elite QB who has won playoff games and played in, if not won a Superbowl. He has nothing to fear about being pushed out of his starting position, and likely won't care if he becomes a potential trade piece, b/c his hefty salary commands a starter's position for any other team.

Lions need to do what other teams are doing. Spend, spend, and spend some more on everything else and ride out your young, talented, and cheap QB until it’s contract time. The best teams have been and will continue to exploit the rookie contract caps for big money positions, the Lions need to get on board. I know it’s still years away but they need to start planning ahead now.

Lions need to do what other teams are doing. Spend, spend, and spend some more on everything else and ride out your young, talented, and cheap QB until it?s contract time. The best teams have been and will continue to exploit the rookie contract caps for big money positions, the Lions need to get on board. I know it?s still years away but they need to start planning ahead now.

I think they are stuck with Stafford for the next 4-5 years.

I know we shit on Matty S. now but a good game next week and all will be forgotten. Preseason, some of you had him in the hall of fame.

Last edited:
Back