Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 104 Detroit Tigers @ Cleveland Indians July 25, 2024 10:10 a.m. MST

Why do always want guys to bunt? Bunting is mostly worthless and they're no good at it.
They're no good at hitting, either; at least the bottom of the lineup. A bunt would probably have ended up with the same result, and bunting off of sharply breaking sliders probably wouldn't get us anywhere

They're no good at hitting, either; at least the bottom of the lineup. A bunt would probably have ended up with the same result, and bunting off of sharply breaking sliders probably wouldn't get us anywhere
Need to teach players to move runners over by hitting a GB to the 2B. We know they don't know how to bunt. McKinstry would have either bunted foul, missed it completely or popped it up.

Here's my Tiger's news while perusing the usual places.

Riley Greene is in a mini slump, going 0-for-9 with six strikeouts over the past three games. He's still dealing with some fatigue in his legs, hence back to back days at DH. He's expected to DH again Friday and play OF Saturday.

Here’s how Detroit Tigers Triple-A hitters are performing this year against fastballs (94+), breaking balls, and offspeed pitches:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GTWFYwAXEAAQk-h?format=jpg&name=medium

Jung is a butcher at 3B and can’t touch velocity so I get the wait..the Jobe crap is manipulation.
Clark and McGonigle were promoted properly.
If you’re not gonna try and win.. and make no mistake Scott Harris is NOT trying to win, he may as well trade Skubal and Greene.. both giant injury risks who will have expired service time on the Harris winning timeline.

New Top 10 Pitching Prospects for #FantasyBaseball.1. Jackson Jobe 2. Noah Schultz 3. Andrew Painter
4. Cade Horton 5. Zebby Matthews 6. Chase Burns 7. Noble Meyer 8. Hurston Waldrep 9. Bubba Chandler
10. Tink Hence.
Not good enough to start yet in the show.. says the POBO.

Spencer Torkelson is hitting .217 in July. Don't think we're seeing him for a while.

Imagine trying to win games and your FO is so bereft of roster building skill you need to use your best reliever 2X in a week to open games because you don’t have SP.. Now you don’t have Holton for late inning leverage .. AJ is pissed..

A month shy of two years into the Harris regime .. I’m curious when the calculated risk and winning begin.. zero trades of substance zero FA signing to their core just lots of promises about rule 4 prospects .. heard this before .. for 7 year.. the all or nothing strategy.

After 7 years of doing absolutely nothing to modernize his org and compete with the rest of major league baseball..Christopher Illitch short of a mandate from the Commisiioners office decided to try and bring his 2B Billion dollar asset into the 2020's.

Justyn-Henry Malloy extended his on-base streak to 17 games with a single off right-hander Gavin Williams' 98.6 mph fastball in the first inning. Malloy is hitting .315 (17-for-54) with five home runs, seven walks and 17 strikeouts during the last 62 plate appearances.

The rumors about the Detroit Tigers trading Tarik Skubal continue but what may be the real reason should it happen? It has little to do with his agent Scott Boras. It's more about what is going on with the team.
Three big reasons why Skubal won't be traded this season. A decimated starting rotation, his value will further increase with a CY Award and the Tigers must jump start a roster that has more holes than solutions for 2025.

The Tigers announced that they have signed LHP Ethan Schiefelbein (No. 72 overall). Additionally, the Tigers signed 3 non-drafted free agents: catcher Hunter Dobbins, infielder Garrett Pennington and RHP Shay Timmer.
The Tigers had about $2.6m to sign Schiefelbein and 9th rounder Zach Swanson. Would assume $1.5-1.7m for Schiefelbein and $900K-1.1m for Swanson. The highest bonus ever for a 9th rounder in the bonus pool era is $800K.

Dillon Dingler slugs his third homer in the past two days.After hitting his 16th dinger, the Tigers' No. 11 prospect is batting .306 with a .924 OPS for the Triple-A MudHens.

Why do always want guys to bunt? Bunting is mostly worthless and they're no good at it.
Like putting pressure on the defense. And I don't always like to bunt but Mckinstry can handle the bat. Just want to get runner over to 3rd. A pop out is worthless at bat .

Báez jumps Guardians early, 'pen follows suit on Bullpen Day.
Tigers official site

Boxscore.

Video highlights of the Tigers win over the guardians.

Tigers 3 - Guardians 0: El Mago magnifico on getaway day.
Now let’s take a long break from the Guardians.
BYBTB

Javier Báez, bullpen help Tigers split series with shutout win over Guardians.
Detnews

Javier Báez crushes home run in Detroit Tigers' 3-0 win over Cleveland Guardians.
Freep

Like putting pressure on the defense. And I don't always like to bunt but Mckinstry can handle the bat. Just want to get runner over to 3rd. A pop out is worthless at bat .
McKinstry can handle the bat? Since when? A guy that could handle the bat should be able to pull a GB to 2nd. He's a LH afterall. A guy that can handle the bat would be a better than a .184 hitter and .540 OPS.

We spoke about this Bob. Cobb didn't want him throwing that screwball while he was managing the Tiges.
Book never mentioned it. They did say Cobb was pretty lenient in spring training . He thought early Morning training 9am starts were not good for the body. He actually had an over .500 record which surprised me. (479-444-10) (.519) Guess he whiffed on Hubbell and pitchers. He also told Harry Heilmann to ride Bobby Veach which makes zero sense because he was already an established big league by this time (1921) it caused a riff between the team and Bobby was gone by 1923.

McKinstry can handle the bat? Since when? A guy that could handle the bat should be able to pull a GB to 2nd. He's a LH afterall. A guy that can handle the bat would be a better than a .184 hitter and .540 OPS.
He can bunt. Every now and than it’s a good play. Put some pressure on the defense.
The popout sure helped moved that runner over didn’t it.

He can bunt. Every now and than it’s a good play. Put some pressure on the defense.
The popout sure helped moved that runner over didn’t it.
What are you basing "he can bunt" on? Maybe his 0 sac bunts he has this season? He hit a popup because he's terrible. I don't ever want him bunting. 1-2 out of 10 to get a hit, 0 out of 10 getting a bunt down.

Need to teach players to move runners over by hitting a GB to the 2B. We know they don't know how to bunt. McKinstry would have either bunted foul, missed it completely or popped it up.
He did pop out. Mission accomplished. Runner never moved a smidgen. At least try something to move the runner over.

He did pop out. Mission accomplished. Runner never moved a smidgen. At least try something to move the runner over.
Like hit a GB. But McKinstry cannot bunt. If he tried and failed you would have brought that up. There is a reason he's hitting .184.

Like hit a GB. But McKinstry cannot bunt. If he tried and failed you would have brought that up. There is a reason he's hitting .184.
Not true at all. . I Just wanted that extra run. Glad they didn’t need it. Yeah he can’t hit a ground ball behind the runner apparently either . So any not try something different to move the runner over.. the broadcast was mentioning his at bats earlier and saying since his triple against the dodgers his swings have been more upper cut ish. Idk force his hand. Make him at least try to get the runner over. You’re making a big deal about how I just wanted to move the runner over. Who cares how it was done. I’m all for hitting behind the runner any way possible.

Not true at all. . I Just wanted that extra run. Glad they didn’t need it. Yeah he can’t hit a ground ball behind the runner apparently either . So any not try something different to move the runner over.. the broadcast was mentioning his at bats earlier and saying since his triple against the dodgers his swings have been more upper cut ish. Idk force his hand. Make him at least try to get the runner over. You’re making a big deal about how I just wanted to move the runner over. Who cares how it was done. I’m all for hitting behind the runner any way possible.
I'm saying even with his shit BA he would have a better chance to move runner over by swinging then by bunting. HE.CANNOT.BUNT. Just can't do it..

Here's my Tiger's news while perusing the usual places.

Riley Greene is in a mini slump, going 0-for-9 with six strikeouts over the past three games. He's still dealing with some fatigue in his legs, hence back to back days at DH. He's expected to DH again Friday and play OF Saturday.

Here’s how Detroit Tigers Triple-A hitters are performing this year against fastballs (94+), breaking balls, and offspeed pitches:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GTWFYwAXEAAQk-h?format=jpg&name=medium

Jung is a butcher at 3B and can’t touch velocity so I get the wait..the Jobe crap is manipulation.
Clark and McGonigle were promoted properly.
If you’re not gonna try and win.. and make no mistake Scott Harris is NOT trying to win, he may as well trade Skubal and Greene.. both giant injury risks who will have expired service time on the Harris winning timeline.

I don't think the Jobe thing is manipulation. His clock is done for the year. If they don't call him up early next year, it will be manipulation

Back