Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 104 Detroit Tigers @ Cleveland Indians July 25, 2024 10:10 a.m. MST

FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

Just when we thought that the Detroit Tigers’ starting rotation was the most settled part of the entire roster, things have changed. Big time.
The rotation is currently in tatters. Not unexpected given the mantra that you can never have enough pitching. Most teams go through double digit starting pitchers every year.
Casey Mize and Reese Olson are both on the IL. Neither is expected back for weeks. Kenta Maeda was moved to the bullpen.
That leaves Jack Flaherty and Tarik Skubal. Ironically, both are linked to teams wanting to trade for them.
I believe Flaherty will depart via the trade deadline. I think Skubal will stay for the rest of this year and potentially be part of a blockbuster deal in the off-season.

Currently, the Tigers are using bullpen days on a regular basis. But that can’t continue. It’s too taxing on the relievers long-term.
A number of pitchers in Toledo like Sawyer Gipson-Long are on the IL. The problem really is that the Tigers have so few SPs in Toledo who are close to being ready. It really is slim pickings so the Tigers are going to have to get very creative.

So what will the rotation end up looking like for some or the rest of this season given all the IL stints and potential trade(s)?
I’ve got my 5.

FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

Just when we thought that the Detroit Tigers’ starting rotation was the most settled part of the entire roster, things have changed. Big time.
The rotation is currently in tatters. Not unexpected given the mantra that you can never have enough pitching. Most teams go through double digit starting pitchers every year.
Casey Mize and Reese Olson are both on the IL. Neither is expected back for weeks. Kenta Maeda was moved to the bullpen.
That leaves Jack Flaherty and Tarik Skubal. Ironically, both are linked to teams wanting to trade for them.
I believe Flaherty will depart via the trade deadline. I think Skubal will stay for the rest of this year and potentially be part of a blockbuster deal in the off-season.

Currently, the Tigers are using bullpen days on a regular basis. But that can’t continue. It’s too taxing on the relievers long-term.
A number of pitchers in Toledo like Sawyer Gipson-Long are on the IL. The problem really is that the Tigers have so few SPs in Toledo who are close to being ready. It really is slim pickings so the Tigers are going to have to get very creative.

So what will the rotation end up looking like for some or the rest of this season given all the IL stints and potential trade(s)?
I’ve got my 5.
I don't know why they didn't sign Trevor Bauer a month ago

The Tigers have announced the following roster moves:• Placed OF Riley Greene on the 10-day injured list with a right hamstring strain• Recalled INF/OF Ryan Vilade from Triple A Toledo.

Back