Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 4: Lions @ Seahawks *Monday Night* Thread

I'm actually getting tired of Matt getting a pass because of coaching. Put the blame where it's suppose to go, on the QB and the other players.

But they have tried both style of coaching. He failed at both, we hate/hated both OC. So what's the answer?

I don't think any of us can argue that Mattw as not a superstar under Linehan. But by the same token, I don't think any of us can argue that he has regressed under Lombardi.

So, clearly we may have tried both, but one is worse than the other.

I broke my femur once. Hurt like hell. When I laid flat, my leg hurt like hell. When I elevated my leg, it hurt worse.

I'm not saying either pain was fun... but I didn't keep my leg elevated because it was worse.

We've tried conservative... it's failed way worse. Let the man do his thing. Take shots down field. Let him gamble.

No matter what, you can't be happy with an offense that won't allow Matt to throw deep to a target like Megatron, who should be deep all the time.

why isnt Caldwell/Lombardi gone yet? Our 2nd string back up TE coach can win 0 games....I guarantee it.

Last edited:
I don't think any of us can argue that Mattw as not a superstar under Linehan. But by the same token, I don't think any of us can argue that he has regressed under Lombardi.

So, clearly we may have tried both, but one is worse than the other.

I broke my femur once. Hurt like hell. When I laid flat, my leg hurt like hell. When I elevated my leg, it hurt worse.

I'm not saying either pain was fun... but I didn't keep my leg elevated because it was worse.

We've tried conservative... it's failed way worse. Let the man do his thing. Take shots down field. Let him gamble.

No matter what, you can't be happy with an offense that won't allow Matt to throw deep to a target like Megatron, who should be deep all the time.

Like the Calvin throw where he was wide open or the one where it was closer to getting intercepted than caught for a reception. Matt doesn't have a good deep ball, never had. Even in his best year it was just throw it up and hope Calvin catches it.

I don't think I've ever argued he had the talent of Favre. I'm saying they drafted a guy who's style is like Favre's and they want him to not be Favre at all.

That never works.

I think the current coaches thinking is: let the defense win games for us.

They have seen Stafford is not Favre, Stafford is Cutler, Anderson etc...You can't win very well with Cuter or Anderson being your most important player. Financially they are tied to him, They are saying ok Stafford you can't win us games, just don't lose us games. It worked in 2014 with an elite defense, basically made Stafford get out of the team's way. It almost worked yesterday.

There were 3 years of Stafford playing the "gunslinger" style and they made the playoffs 1 year. There was 1 year with Stafford being the game manager and they made the playoffs 1 year.

He is a liability, I can't say it is wrong to limit his involvement. However this year he had 5 ints in his first 3 games. He is failing in his second year of being a game manager.

It's tough to win with him as a gun slinger, and now it is becoming tough to win with him as a game manager, he just is not an asset at this time. Without the defense being where it was last year it doesn't matter what Stafford is allowed to play, we are screwed no matter what.

Interesting stat I saw posted elsewhere:

Lombardi's Offense against SEA yesterday.

On first down:

We passed 10 times and averaged 4.7 yards per attempt. We gained positive yards in 5 out if the 10 and had negatives yards in just one attempt for -1 yard. I biggest gain was 17 yards.

We ran 12 times on first down and averaged 2.75 yards per attempt. We had negative yards on 3 attempts and positive yards on 9 attempts. Our largest carry was 9 yards.

Interesting stat I saw posted elsewhere:

Lombardi's Offense against SEA yesterday.

On first down:

We passed 10 times and averaged 4.7 yards per attempt. We gained positive yards in 5 out if the 10 and had negatives yards in just one attempt for -1 yard. I biggest gain was 17 yards.

We ran 12 times on first down and averaged 2.75 yards per attempt. We had negative yards on 3 attempts and positive yards on 9 attempts. Our largest carry was 9 yards.

What's so interesting?

I think he was trying to say we got more yards passing then running on 1st down. I guess that's why WR average 10 yards or more why RB averages 4-5 yards.

I get the blame toward Stafford, but the OL isn't exactly helping him much. Until that unit is fixed, I don't expect Matt to perform better. The difference between Matt and Favre is mobility. Wilson would have been carted off if he wasn't so mobile. Manning is Manning, his knowledge and preparation are unsurpassed. Stafford doesn't have the brains to do what Manning does, which Manning is forced to do because he isn't mobile...so he studies instead in order to survive and succeed.

What's so interesting?

The stat I posted confused me haha (like I said I saw it posted elsewhere), so I checked the game log and here are all 22 first downs in order and the result.

1. Rush for -3 yards
2. Rush for 2 yards
3. Pass for 12 yards
4. Pass for 3 yards
5. Pass for -1 yards
6. Pass for 2 yards
7. Pass for 6 yards
8. Pass for 3 yards
9. Rush for 5 yards
10. Pass for 17 yards
11. Rush for 4 yards
12. Pass for 13 yards
13. Pass incomplete
14. Pass incomplete
15. Pass for 6 yards
16. Pass for 3 yards
17. Rush for 3 yards
18. Rush for 1 yard
19. Rush for -1 yard
20. Pass for 4 yards
21. Rush for 9 yards
22. Rush for 6 yards

13 passing plays on first down
9 rushing plays on first down

Avg yards per pass play: 6.1 (1 negative play, 2 inc passes)
Avg yards per rush play: 2.9 (2 negative plays)

Just seems like they should be throwing the ball more on first down until they can get the running game going...30% of the passing plays gained less than 3 yards, whereas 44% of the rushing plays gained less than 3 yards. If you take away the two incompletions (which were deep throws) the passing game gained 3 or more yards on all but one attempt (93%). Rushing the ball on 1st down isnt working, passing gets positive yards most of the time, and then forces the D to think a bit on second down, even if its just a 4 yard screen pass..

Last edited:
And out of the 2009 QB class, Stafford has proven the Lions chose correctly. It isn't like they had the opportunity to get Andrew Luck that year.

Granted I preferred building the trenches and going OL that year, but what do I know.

And out of the 2009 QB class, Stafford has proven the Lions chose correctly. It isn't like they had the opportunity to get Andrew Luck that year.

Granted I preferred building the trenches and going OL that year, but what do I know.

The bottom half of that 1st round was sooooo much better than the top half. What an awful year to be a top 10 pick.

I get the blame toward Stafford, but the OL isn't exactly helping him much. Until that unit is fixed, I don't expect Matt to perform better. The difference between Matt and Favre is mobility. Wilson would have been carted off if he wasn't so mobile. Manning is Manning, his knowledge and preparation are unsurpassed. Stafford doesn't have the brains to do what Manning does, which Manning is forced to do because he isn't mobile...so he studies instead in order to survive and succeed.

What happened last year, or 2013 or 2012? The OL isn't good but all the excuses Matt does have this or that. So Matt is immobile dumb guy?

There shouldn't be anymore talk about how bad our OL is. Seattle might have a worse OL. And Denver has a pretty bad OL as well. It's not just Detroit.

We can't talk about how bad our OL is because Seattle and Denver have a shit OL as well?? Wtf does that even mean??

We can't talk about how bad our OL is because Seattle and Denver have a shit OL as well?? Wtf does that even mean??

Because it keeps on being said, Matt can't do well because of the OL. Yet other QB's can. That's wtf it means.

Because it keeps on being said, Matt can't do well because of the OL. Yet other QB's can. That's wtf it means.

Well, it is a major concern for all 3 teams. Wilson is getting killed, Manning is getting hit more than ever and Stafford is getting crucified. So YES, you can talk about it. Personally, i think it's the offensive scheme holding back the entire offense. Lombardi is a joke. At least with Linehan, the offense was putting up points. They can't in this offense...Joe is holding them back and its clear as day.

Back