Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 77 Tigers @ Astros Sat Jun 28th

To the point on Avila....he's going to get thrown out anyways. Either the pitcher or the catcher will get the ball and throw him out before he can lumber down to first.

To the point on Avila....he's going to get thrown out anyways. Either the pitcher or the catcher will get the ball and throw him out before he can lumber down to first.

Sometimes he would, sometimes he wouldn't (look at some of the GIFs in the article which talks about bunting against the shift). If you can lay down a bunt like that, even Avila will reach first base. He's not Paul freakin' Konerko. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/more-about-bunting-and-beating-the-shift/

We're getting off track with focusing on just Avila anyway. I just threw his name out there as an example. The main point is I think there ARE times when bunting is useful. That's all.

Sometimes he would, sometimes he wouldn't (look at some of the GIFs in the article which talks about bunting against the shift). If you can lay down a bunt like that, even Avila will reach first base. He's not Paul freakin' Konerko. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/more-about-bunting-and-beating-the-shift/

We're getting off track with focusing on just Avila anyway. I just threw his name out there as an example. The main point is I think there ARE times when bunting is useful. That's all.

So a little extra practice will help him how to bunt..something he never does? Instead of batting practice he'll practice butting instead on the rare chance one in a billion he'll get one down and best it out..

Last edited:
So a little extra base will help him how to bunt..something he never does? Instead of batting practice he'll practice butting instead on the rare chance one in a billion he'll get one down and best it out..

More hyperbole. Who said replacing batting practice? I find it hard to believe that to practice bunting for 10-15 minutes you'd have to completely eliminate all other pre-existing practice techniques. Who knows though?

One in a billion? Look at the article. A guy fell flat on his ass and still made it to first base on a bunt against the shift.

You guys are making a mountain out a molehill here. All I'm saying is there are times when bunting is useful. It's not ALWAYS DUMB to do it. That's it. Lol.

Last edited:

I'm not gonna rule out that the LF'er might have a chance to throw him out at first if he gets the ball to the grass.

More hyperbole. Who said replacing batting practice? I find it hard to believe that to practice bunting for 10-15 minutes you'd have to completely eliminate all other pre-existing practice techniques. Who knows though?

One in a billion? Look at the article. A guy fell flat on his ass and still made it to first base on a bunt against the shift.

You guys are making a mountain out a molehill here. All I'm saying is there are times when bunting is useful. It's not ALWAYS DUMB to do it. That's it. Lol.

They barely practice bunting in the minors yet you want our cement foot C to bunt..

Edit: ..at the ML level.

Last edited:
They barely practice bunting in the minors yet you want our cement foot C to bunt..

Why is this so egregious to you? I don't want him bunting all the time, or even every time the shift is put on him. Once in a while though it can be an effective way to reach 1st base, even for slow runners. It also forces the defense to adjust to the bunt possibility, which can open up holes for you to swing away. Did you read the article?

The undisputed king of bunting to beat the shift is Carlos Pena. Since 2008, with nobody on, Pena has attempted a bunt 65 times. He?s bunted the ball fair 33 times, and he?s reached base 23 times. Even with practice, Pena?s right around a 50/50 fair/not-fair rate, but he?s turned better than a third of his attempts into bases. We find Jay Bruce at 30 attempts, with nine fair and five successful. Brian McCann also has 30 attempts, with eight fair and six successful. What?s clear is that bunting against the shift isn?t automatic. What?s also clear is that it?s worked often, and that these hitters could do better if they just practiced their bunting more.

Which one of those guys are speedsters? Again, I'm not saying MANDATORY BUNT PRACTICE FOR ALL TIGERS HITTERS STARTING TOMORROW!!! I'm simply saying there are times when bunting can work, and what's wrong with having it in your back pocket? If it's something that can be worked on in spring training, then why not do it?

Holy shit this discussion has gone on for a long freakin' time...meanwhile, today's game is now slight 'citin...

Back