Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Internet Censorship.

another neo-con, probably a religious zealot too, piling on the right wing freak out over cancel culture that doesn't exist...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmXTUSP9a9M

I think this coming Halloween, I?m gonna go as Scarlet O?Hara, and just for the hell of it, I?m gonna carry around a soccer ball or a lacrosse stick, or both.

That?s really gonna fuck with peoples? heads.

Cancel culture ain't that bad yet.

Someday, somebody's going to figure out how to combine AI data mining and cancel culture. It won't be a government social score like China, it will be some app from some private company. The first one will be left and woke and then the right, recognizing the evil in this, will get one that's the same, but polarized oppositely. With facial recognition we might be able to walk around knowing which half of the population we're cool with and which half are bad. But I'm sure this house divided against itself will be fine.

Cancel culture ain't that bad yet.

Someday, somebody's going to figure out how to combine AI data mining and cancel culture. It won't be a government social score like China, it will be some app from some private company. The first one will be left and woke and then the right, recognizing the evil in this, will get one that's the same, but polarized oppositely. With facial recognition we might be able to walk around knowing which half of the population we're cool with and which half are bad. But I'm sure this house divided against itself will be fine.

We know it ain't that bad yet - you've said so many times. Besides, it's just the first amendment - we got plenty more where that came from.

Anyway, given that that's definitely true, as you've said many times - enuf times to prove it's definitely true, when should we start to care about this thing that seems an awful lot like a disturbing trend but isn't, yet?

Last edited:
We know it ain't that bad yet - you've said so many times. Besides, it's just the first amendment - we got plenty more where that came from.

Anyway, given that that's definitely true, as you've said many times - enuf times to prove it's definitely true, when should we start to care about this thing that seems an awful lot like a disturbing trend but isn't, yet?

You should care as little as possible as long as possible. All the chickenlittle hypersensitivity draws more undeserved attention to extremes and pushes the divide.

You should care as little as possible as long as possible. All the chickenlittle hypersensitivity draws more undeserved attention to extremes and pushes the divide.

Hmmmmm...here?s the thing.

I like to listen to Ben Shapiro. He?s funny and smart and interesting. Sometimes he carries on and on about shit that I think that?s not too important and it becomes annoying, and I turn on something retarded like sports talk.

So Ben has been going on and on about the bachelor ?scandal,? and then the Piers Morgan and suddenly Sharon Osbourne ?scandal? - but when I turn it to sports talk or other retarded media - they?re talking about it, too.

Now - maybe it?s a good thing. Maybe Maher - my main man, or one of them - who has been warning of ?cancel culture? himself for some time - is calling a tipping point.

Maybe it?s time for traditional liberals - I think I?m kind of a cross between traditional liberal and moderate conservative - to stop and think ?hey - maybe this ?wokescold power? shit ain?t exactly the America we?ve always thought we should be embracing - we have freedom of speech somewhere, right, maybe the Constitution, something like that??

Hmmmmm...here?s the thing.

I like to listen to Ben Shapiro. He?s funny and smart and interesting. Sometimes he carries on and on about shit that I think that?s not too important and it becomes annoying, and I turn on something retarded like sports talk.

So Ben has been going on and on about the bachelor ?scandal,? and then the Piers Morgan and suddenly Sharon Osbourne ?scandal? - but when I turn it to sports talk or other retarded media - they?re talking about it, too.

Now - maybe it?s a good thing. Maybe Maher - my main man, or one of them - who has been warning of ?cancel culture? himself for some time - is calling a tipping point.

Maybe it?s time for traditional liberals - I think I?m kind of a cross between traditional liberal and moderate conservative - to stop and think ?hey - maybe this ?wokescold power? shit ain?t exactly the America we?ve always thought we should be embracing - we have freedom of speech somewhere, right, maybe the Constitution, something like that??

I only kinda of know about the Piers Morgan scandal. I know it involves the ex-royal interview. I'm assuming he's getting cancelled for something? I don't even know what he said. But I don't follow him anyway. Don't know what the other two are.

His fans, I assume, don't want to cancel him. And that's what matters to his ratings. And if he loses ratings, he'll lose advertiser money. That's all fine.

I don't think all this woke scolding would matter nearly as much if people just ignored it. If somebody that never watches Piers Morgan complains about him, why does anyone care? But a lot this cancel culture talk seems to me to be people that just want to be upset about stuff. It seems like for every people that actually has their career impacted in some way, there are 20 stories about someone that got cancelled where nothing actually happened to them outside of social media. A story flairs up, everybody takes a side, then it's over. Waste of time. Nothing but polarization.

I rarely hear the original thing. I hear the bitching about the thing, and then I have to decide if I care enough to go find out about the thing. I care enough less and less as time goes on. If that's typical, maybe some of this crap will die out.

I only kinda of know about the Piers Morgan scandal. I know it involves the ex-royal interview. I'm assuming he's getting cancelled for something? I don't even know what he said. But I don't follow him anyway. Don't know what the other two are.

His fans, I assume, don't want to cancel him. And that's what matters to his ratings. And if he loses ratings, he'll lose advertiser money. That's all fine.

I don't think all this woke scolding would matter nearly as much if people just ignored it. If somebody that never watches Piers Morgan complains about him, why does anyone care? But a lot this cancel culture talk seems to me to be people that just want to be upset about stuff. It seems like for every people that actually has their career impacted in some way, there are 20 stories about someone that got cancelled where nothing actually happened to them outside of social media. A story flairs up, everybody takes a side, then it's over. Waste of time. Nothing but polarization.

In this situation it?s UK television - I think it?s the BBC - does anyone know for sure?

Market forces and free speech laws are a little different.

In this situation it?s UK television - I think it?s the BBC - does anyone know for sure?

Market forces and free speech laws are a little different.

It's probably a great example for discussion because it's not left or right American politics as far as I know. I don't love or hate the British Royal Family. And yet there's enough upset people for this thing to be on our radar to various degrees.

I wonder what percentage of the people outraged by 'cancel culture' today thought banning metal in 80's, rap in the 90s, and video games in the 2000s was a good idea?

I wonder what percentage of the people outraged by 'cancel culture' today thought banning metal in 80's, rap in the 90s, and video games in the 2000s was a good idea?

Actually, I wonder why the present Cancel Culture hasn?t selectively cancelled all three.

Actually, I wonder why the present Cancel Culture hasn?t selectively cancelled all three.

It's not hard to see why when you realize these people consider Dr. Seuss to be a societal threat while a pop star giving an R rated performance while singing the X rated lyrics of her latest hit and bragging about drugging and robbing men when she was a stripper are held out to be examples of female empowerment.

Last edited:

Would those be some cancellations you'd be happy with?

It's not hard to see why when you realize these people consider Dr. Seuss to be a societal threat while a pop star giving an R rated performance while singing the X rated lyrics of her latest hit and bragging about drugging and robbing men when she was a stripper are held out to be examples of female empowerment.

That was suspiciously specific lol. Is there something in current events that I missed?

That was suspiciously specific lol. Is there something in current events that I missed?

Joe Biden gave a speech where he said: "Dr. Seuss is bad, and so I am holding out Cardi B and her song WAP - which stands for WET ASS PUSSY - as examples of female empowerment, and I call on all kindergarten teachers in America to begin teaching this to 5 year olds" ... and that's happening now.

Joe Biden gave a speech where he said: "Dr. Seuss is bad, and so I am holding out Cardi B and her song WAP - which stands for WET ASS PUSSY - as examples of female empowerment, and I call on all kindergarten teachers in America to begin teaching this to 5 year olds" ... and that's happening now.

I heard the Squad is pushing him to drop all reading from grade school curricula and replace it with rapping.

It was Maxine Waters that praised the song, not Joe Biden. Although Joe Biden did do an interview with Cardi B during his campaign to show how relatable he was - and what an intellectual powerhouse Cardi B is in general, but also in particular on the issues that matter to the American voters.

It’s more about the force(s) that influence(d) metal, rap, and video games, than the people who enable it and participate. So I’d count on the judgement of the individual to withdraw from them, rather than “cancel” these and other “entities.”

Last edited:
Back