Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Internet Censorship.

I see.

What about... the prohibition of alcoholic beverages? Do you have any feelings either way about that?

It didn?t work the first time, and many historians believe that it helped lead to the development of the organized crime syndicates in this country.

So I don?t know what would be the sense in trying it again.

It didn?t work the first time, and many historians believe that it helped lead to the development of the organized crime syndicates in this country.

So I don?t know what would be the sense in trying it again.

I agree with you on this 100%, but given that your opinions (or lack thereof) regarding facebook and charter schools are based solely on your personal relationship to each, I kinda thought your position on alcohol prohibition would be "as someone who consumes alcohol, I am against it."

I agree with you on this 100%, but given that your opinions (or lack thereof) regarding facebook and charter schools are based solely on your personal relationship to each, I kinda thought your position on alcohol prohibition would be "as someone who consumes alcohol, I am against it."

There?s that too.

I was trying to be more high minded.

prohibition of recreational substances - to the point that even mere possession subjects one to prison (short of death, the most extreme loss of personal freedom there is) and civil forfeiture of one's assets - has to be one of the most extreme examples of "big government" that exists.

Yes, they should be enforcing anti-trust laws against these platforms; amazon as well.

And don't stop there: also Walmart, Exxon-Mobil, Chevron, BP-Amoco, Koch Industries, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Citigroup, The Big Four, and Clear Channel, Gannett, Disney, Time warner, and restrict media ownership to specific markets. Break them all up.

Monopolies are bad for competition!

I'm sympathetic to the instinct to break up powerful entities, but here's a catch. When it comes to data, there are 7 really big companies: Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Tencent, Alibaba, and Baidu. When it comes to AI, whoever has the most data, has the best AI. Notice I didn't mention Apple. They have great engineers and programmers. Brilliant. But they don't have the same amount of data and it shows in their AI products.

I think AI is going to be a massive force in the concentration of power in the hands of relatively few people. Sometimes it feels like a winner takes all game. If that's the case, there's a risk associated with handcuffing or breaking up the potential winners that are on 'your side'. It might be better to go after them after the dust has settled in the AI war rather than to let someone win who we can't regulate at all.

I'm sympathetic to the instinct to break up powerful entities, but here's a catch. When it comes to data, there are 7 really big companies: Amazon, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Tencent, Alibaba, and Baidu. When it comes to AI, whoever has the most data, has the best AI. Notice I didn't mention Apple. They have great engineers and programmers. Brilliant. But they don't have the same amount of data and it shows in their AI products.

I think AI is going to be a massive force in the concentration of power in the hands of relatively few people. Sometimes it feels like a winner takes all game. If that's the case, there's a risk associated with handcuffing or breaking up the potential winners that are on 'your side'. It might be better to go after them after the dust has settled in the AI war rather than to let someone win who we can't regulate at all.

the simple answer here is to nationalize it and put the government in control of big data and AI. duh!

no one should have too much power in one place, regardless of whether it makes their AI "better" or "allows economies of scale" or "makes the trains run on time."

For one thing, those statements are never true. For another thing, this is just common sense, and it's why The Founding Fathers designed government with a separation of powers.

no one should have too much power in one place unless it's the government because what could go wrong there?, regardless of whether it makes their ai "better" or "allows economies of scale" or "makes the trains run on time."

for one thing, those statements are never true. For another thing, this is just common sense, and it's why the founding fathers designed government with a separation of powers.

fify

Nothing that involves InfoWars or Joe Rogan can ever be described as "must see".

That's like calling a lobotomy a "must have", or Chernobyl "must visit".

Nothing that involves InfoWars or Joe Rogan can ever be described as "must see".

That's like calling a lobotomy a "must have", or Chernobyl "must visit".

of course not, the people with the credibility are the ones who tell you not to fall for conspiracy theories from Rogan and Jones while they literally spend 2 years abandoning any semblance of actual journalism to push conspiracy theories that divided the country. The funniest part of all of this is even after the whole charade is exposed, the left will still consider MSNBC, CNN and the major networks to be credible new outlets.

Last edited:
Back