Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Internet Censorship.

Here's a fun issue: Twitter can't ban and handle white supremacists on its site, like it did with ISIS, because there are way more white supremacists than ISIS supporters, and algorithms that flag racist, white supremacist content would end up banning actual Republican politicians like Steve King, and possibly also Trump himself... link.

couple excerpts:
?Most people can agree a beheading video or some kind of ISIS content should be proactively removed, but when we try to talk about the alt-right or white nationalism, we get into dangerous territory, where we?re talking about [Iowa Rep.] Steve King or maybe even some of Trump?s tweets, so it becomes hard for social media companies to say all of this ?this content should be removed,?? Amarasingam said.

There's going to be controversy here that we didn't see with ISIS, because there are more white nationalists than there are ISIS supporters, and white nationalists are closer to the levers of political power in the US and Europe than ISIS ever was.​

This is really surprising because I've heard that racism isn't a problem in this country anymore, since 1865.

It can ban users manually.

It can ban users manually.

They don't have the manpower; hiring moderators cuts into profit.

EDIT, and hence, the point of the article, they're stuck between a rock and a hard place because if they try to ban white supremacist content using computer models and algorithms, they'll ban actual Republican politicians! >:D

that's how Far Right our shitty country has gone... actual white supremacist views are openly spoken by members of our political establishment!

Facebook had similar problems when it fired it's human reviewers and mods that were flagging "fake news" articles from non-existent newspapers.

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't have the manpower; hiring moderators cuts into profit.

EDIT, and hence, the point of the article, they're stuck between a rock and a hard place because if they try to ban white supremacist content using computer models and algorithms, they'll ban actual Republican politicians! >:D

that's how Far Right our shitty country has gone... actual white supremacist views are openly spoken by members of our political establishment!

Facebook had similar problems when it fired it's human reviewers and mods that were flagging "fake news" articles from non-existent newspapers.

It's using moderators now. And let Twitter be Twitter. Put in the algorithims and let the politicians howl.

this is like asking where we'll get lethal diarrhea from after we eradicate cholera.

tumblr_oliwkgMdRy1rfd7lko1_400.gif

Facebook just banned a bunch of dumb racists, for being dumb and racist (link). They are: Louis Farrakhan, Alex Jones, Milo Yiannopoulos, Laura Loomer, and Paul Joseph Watson.

I wonder if they more quietly also used this as cover to ban a bunch of leftist accounts that didn't engage in hate speech or advocate violence or racism, but said things that facebook generally didn't like, such as Facebook and other corporations should pay higher taxes, or should be broken up under anti-trust laws?

they've done that before.

When the title of the article lumps Farrakhan in as one of the "far right figures" you know it's pretty much full of shit. But I read it just to be sure and yep, it's full of shit. These people are banned because their politics don't fit in neatly with FB's world view. Period.

Facebook just banned a bunch of dumb racists, for being dumb and racist (link). They are: Louis Farrakhan, Alex Jones, Milo Yiannopoulos, Laura Loomer, and Paul Joseph Watson.

I wonder if they more quietly also used this as cover to ban a bunch of leftist accounts that didn't engage in hate speech or advocate violence or racism, but said things that facebook generally didn't like, such as Facebook and other corporations should pay higher taxes, or should be broken up under anti-trust laws?

they've done that before.

Facebook isn?t as politically powerful as people make it out to be.

There is nobody they could ban that anybody who cares couldn?t find another way.

Facebook exists primarily for people who haven?t really known each other for years to blow sunshine up each other?s skirts in an attempt to make them feel as if their empty lives are relevant.

fb, twitter and like sites are publishing-entities that can control its content down to the last semi colon if it wants to. it can ban anyone it wants without cause or clarification

I hope they all ban themselves out of business and I think trump should stop using twitter he might be the only thing keeping them in business right now while they ban all his supporters. He's such a dumbass

Last edited:
When the title of the article lumps Farrakhan in as one of the "far right figures" you know it's pretty much full of shit. But I read it just to be sure and yep, it's full of shit. These people are banned because their politics don't fit in neatly with FB's world view. Period.

They all spew hate speech, whether you agree with their views or not.

they should ban CNN next for all their dangerous trump derangement syndrome hate IMO

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/02/tech...owars-alex-jones-milo-laura-loomer/index.html

They could, and it wouldn’t hurt CNN one iota, just like it hasn’t hurt any of the others.

Farrakhan was already a world-famous asswipe before Mark Zuckerberg was born. Deplatforming has only made Alex Jones more followed, and if people Want to find out what Younoupoulis is saying, they can do it without Facebook.

When I first heard of him-without the aid of Facebook-I looked up and watched one or two of his famous talks see what the fuss was about-again, without the benefit of Facebook.

Last edited:
OH yeah? Well I think they ought to ban you for not knowing how to use punctuation, and typing in run-on sentences.

"Hate speech" will eventually apply to just about anything anyone finds offensive. Such as calling people dumb and yes I know you'd like nothing more than to have me banned here. authoritarians scare me more than Alex Jones. Those annoyed by a lack of proper grammar and punctuation that feel the need to point it out all the time, I've also noticed over the years tend to be more authoritarian like. IMO of course

Last edited:
They could, and it wouldn’t hurt CNN one iota, just like it hasn’t hurt any of the others.

Farrakhan was already a world-famous asswipe before Mark Zuckerberg was born. Deplatforming has only made Alex Jones more followed, and if people Want to find out what Younoupoulis is saying, they can do it without Facebook.

When I first heard of him-without the aid of Facebook-I looked up and watched one or two of his famous talks see what the fuss was about-again, without the benefit of Facebook.

true more and more are tuning them out now which is a good thing as all they do is "hate speech" against trump

https://www.westernjournal.com/cnn-ratings-tank-26-time-last-year/

Last edited:
Back