Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Internet Censorship.

Disney canceled Song of the South decades ago...but kept Splash Mountain for some reason. Now that is being rethemed to Princess and the Frog, which itself has drawn complaints and I imagine one day will be canceled. There was also some pushback against Mulan Live Action because of where it was filmed, but I believe the animated film will be canceled due to that song "A girl worth fighting for"... then you have nearly every princess movie where there is a sexist jerk in it. Hunchback has Frollo, Beauty/Beast has Gaston...oh, and absolutely Pocahontas is already canceled.

Disney is heading for its own day of reckoning just with its movies. It's classic characters will not be immune either. Donald Duck calling Daisy "Toots", Mickey always chasing Minnie but still has yet to marry her!

To quote Tim Allen, "Men are pigs, aren't they ladies???...Yeah, too bad we own everything!"...well that was then, now women have earned their voice and along with other subsets in society, everyone is guilty of somehow, someway offending others and MUST BE CANCELED! And if YOU think YOU are not deserving, that just by itself proves YOU deserve to be canceled too.

I'm gonna go Cancel myself now...

Last edited:
generic "we" - the cancel culture mob which seeks to ruin the lives of anyone who offends them.

Ok. Got it. I see them as two different things. Dropping Mr. from potato head, or not publishing 6 out of hundreds of books, or taking away Sam's guns and tweaking characters, but still making new Looney Tunes and another movie. They're not people, there's no punishment for anyone...they're just updating old kids stuff.

This isn't the same thing as when accusations against real people go viral and they are judged in the court of public opinion. That's more in line with ruining people lives.

To quote Tim Allen, "Men are pigs, aren't they ladies???...Yeah, too bad we own everything!"...well that was then, now women have earned their voice and along with other subsets in society, everyone is guilty of somehow, someway offending others and MUST BE CANCELED! And if YOU think YOU are not deserving, that just by itself proves YOU deserve to be canceled too.

I'm gonna go Cancel myself now...

I don't think it's going to go that way. You can find people calling for it same as you can find people calling to smash every monument associated with the Confederate States of America. But I think leveler heads will prevail and most things will go on being evaluated on a case by case basis (with exceptions when certain things go viral). This evolution is fine. If someone thinks they can make money updating Pepe LePew fine, if not, fine. People not wanting to raise their kids watching him, good.

Does that establish a rule for every cartoon character that ever acted that way in any cartoon? No. Just with Pepe LePew, that was the entire joke: relentlessly pursuing a cat with a mistaken species identity that did nothing but try to get away and couldn't.

A lot of early-to-mid 20th century cartoons have been censored in the US for decades now. That's nothing new.

You guys honestly didn't know that?

Cancel Culture will eventual come for the flag itself and all founding fathers. It's a color revolutionary chicom take over. go back to playing with yourself in the corner.

You should have your house checked for lead pipes...

Ok. Got it. I see them as two different things. Dropping Mr. from potato head, or not publishing 6 out of hundreds of books, or taking away Sam's guns and tweaking characters, but still making new Looney Tunes and another movie. They're not people, there's no punishment for anyone...they're just updating old kids stuff.

This isn't the same thing as when accusations against real people go viral and they are judged in the court of public opinion. That's more in line with ruining people lives.

I don't think they're two different things, just maybe different degrees of the same thing. Words are violence to the cancel culture mob - it's not just accusations of actual assaults or inappropriate behavior that will get someone fired, you have to think the right way, say the right things, vote a certain way, or you're committing violence against oppressed people of one stripe or another. Dropping "Mr." from Potatao Head, taking away Sam's guns, etc is not merely updating older kids stuff. It's kowtowing to the woke mob to avoid being the target of the next cancelling.

I don't think it's going to go that way. You can find people calling for it same as you can find people calling to smash every monument associated with the Confederate States of America. But I think leveler heads will prevail and most things will go on being evaluated on a case by case basis (with exceptions when certain things go viral). This evolution is fine. If someone thinks they can make money updating Pepe LePew fine, if not, fine. People not wanting to raise their kids watching him, good.

the things that are being cancelled and "updated" provide abundant and strong evidence that this is not the case.

Does that establish a rule for every cartoon character that ever acted that way in any cartoon? No. Just with Pepe LePew, that was the entire joke: relentlessly pursuing a cat with a mistaken species identity that did nothing but try to get away and couldn't.

But Pepe LePew is not just promoting rape culture - he's also quite possibly transphobic, which is a form of violence. We don't know how he would react if he ever found out he was actually making passes at a cat presenting (accidentally in this case) as something other than her biological classification - but it's probably safe to assume it would not go well for the cat. This is actual real criticism and leveler headed people aren't just dismissing it for the garbage that it is. I don't know a single person who didn't think the joke was on Pepe. There are millions (I'm exaggerating here) of examples of far more egregious misogyny in pop culture than a skunk who is really the butt of the joke.

Last edited:
I don't think they're two different things, just maybe different degrees of the same thing. Words are violence to the cancel culture mob - it's not just accusations of actual assaults or inappropriate behavior that will get someone fired, you have to think the right way, say the right things, vote a certain way, or you're committing violence against oppressed people of one stripe or another. Dropping "Mr." from Potatao Head, taking away Sam's guns, etc is not merely updating older kids stuff. It's kowtowing to the woke mob to avoid being the target of the next cancelling.

There's my out then. If I don't think word literally equal violence, but I do think old Pepe LePew was inappropriate, it must not be cancel culture.

the things that are being cancelled and "updated" provide abundant and strong evidence that this is not the case.

But Pepe LePew is not just promoting rape culture - he's also quite possibly transphobic, which is a form of violence. We don't know how he would react if he ever found out he was actually making passes at a cat presenting (accidentally in this case) as something other than her biological classification - but it's probably safe to assume it would not go well for the cat. This is actual real criticism and leveler headed people aren't just dismissing it for the garbage that it is. I don't know a single person who didn't think the joke was on Pepe. There are millions (I'm exaggerating here) of examples of far more egregious misogyny in pop culture than a skunk who is really the butt of the joke.

Now you're just making stuff up. We know the people that made Pepe LePew loved to dress Bugs up like a woman and have him flirt with Elmer.

What great thing has been lost to cancel culture that's so important for us to preserve? What's the go to example of cancel culture running amok?

People being tried in the court of public opinion is a problem, but with this Dr. Suess and Pepe LePew stuff, what have we lost?

What great thing has been lost to cancel culture that's so important for us to preserve? What's the go to example of cancel culture running amok?

People being tried in the court of public opinion is a problem, but with this Dr. Suess and Pepe LePew stuff, what have we lost?

In before "it's a slippery slope". First, it's a cartoon skunk, next it's your religion.

Back