Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jim Bowden Matt Garza trade proposal

castro and garza for peralta, casty and turner? I wouldn't have a problem with that Bob

Because we signed a guy for 9 years that means they have to go for it this year? Huh? If anything it means the opposite. We have years left with both Miggy and JV too, no need to go overpay for Garza.

Because we signed a guy for 9 years that means they have to go for it this year? Huh? If anything it means the opposite. We have years left with both Miggy and JV too, no need to go overpay for Garza.

why would it be a one year thing? and it's not like WE pay the salary so who cares.

Why do people even want Castro?

That question is a fuckin joke right??

1. .300 hitter every year of his career.
2. INSTANTLY improves a HORRIBLE defense (2nd in NL in defensive WAR this year)
3. Allows Peralta to move over to 2nd and stops the revolving door that is Worth(less), Santiago, and Mudhen (demoted)
4. Solidifies the 2nd slot in the order. Jackson, Castro, Miggy, Prince would be a damn good top of the order

What about Castro wouldn't fit with this team??

3. Allows Peralta to move over to 2nd and stops the revolving door that is Worth(less), Santiago, and Mudhen (demoted)
4. Solidifies the 2nd slot in the order. Jackson, Castro, Miggy, Prince would be a damn good top of the order

First off the Cubs are NOT going to trade Castro, a guy making no money signed through 2017.

I would not be against Castro, but this highlighted comment is debatable.

Last year Peralta made 7 errors at SS, Castro made 29, this year, Peralta 2, Castro 9.

Career fielding % at SS:

Peralta : .978
Castro: .959

2010 and 2011 combined dWAR:

Peralta: 1.1
Castro: -2.4

2010+2011+2012 dWAR:

Peralta: 1.0
Castro: -0.9

Peralta is not a great SS, mostly because of lack of range and a weak arm, but Castro is nowhere near as good (with the glove) as you think. Maybe he's getting better, but he's still error prone so I don't see how he instantly upgrades us on defense.

First off the Cubs are NOT going to trade Castro, a guy making no money signed through 2017.

I would not be against Castro, but this highlighted comment is debatable.

Last year Peralta made 7 errors at SS, Castro made 29, this year, Peralta 2, Castro 9.

Career fielding % at SS:

Peralta : .978
Castro: .959

2010 and 2011 combined dWAR:

Peralta: 1.1
Castro: -2.4

2010+2011+2012 dWAR:

Peralta: 1.0
Castro: -0.9

Peralta is not a great SS, mostly because of lack of range and a weak arm, but Castro is nowhere near as good (with the glove) as you think. Maybe he's getting better, but he's still error prone so I don't see how he instantly upgrades us on defense.

You can't honestly call yourself a baseball fan and say Peralta is anywhere close to Castro defensively. That is laughable. Lets look at some of the stats you chose to leave out.

1. Yes, Castro made a LOT of errors last year. He was also 21. He also had 134 MORE chances. You make more E's when you get to A LOT more balls. Castro is also much better at turning the double play than Peralta.....which has been a HUGE problem with the Tigers this year. And Castro is getting better.....Peralta is getting worse.
2. I see you also left out this years numbers. Why? Is that because they disprove what you are trying to say? Peralta's defensive runs saved about average......-8. Castro.....+23. That is a 31 run difference in 60ish games. Over the course of one year.....that would be a staggering 80ish run difference from ONE defensive position.
3. Defensive war THIS YEAR....Peralta....-.1. Castro......+1.5.

Listen, I get your argument and somewhat agree with you. Peralta is solid but unspectacular in the field.

Castro is better, 22, and improving.....and would be an INSTANT UPGRADE at the SS position.....at the plate and in the field.

I left out this year because the sample is small, but I conceded he is probably improving.

I'm not saying Peralta is anything spectacular, but Castro's not the upgrade you think unless you look at THIS SEASON only.

At the plate, yes, I never argued that.

Now having Castro at SS and Peralta at 2b would not improve us, because Worth and Santiago are both going to be better at 2b than Peralta.

So the fact is my argument is Castro's total 2 and 1/3 seasons are not as good as Peralta in the same time period.

Castro's only better if you only count the 60 games this year. And I'm not a fan of small sample sizes.

You don't give up two prospects like Garza and Turner for a player like Castro.

Castro is a very good player, and of course I'd want him, but he's not worth that price.

He's not a great player.

And lol batting average.

On a team looking for someone who can take a freaking walk, Castro would be one of the worst. Castro career = 1 walk in every 24.0 Plate Appearances.

UZR/150

Peralta -2.8 (career), roughly 10.2 since 2010

Castro -3.0 (2010-present)

dWAR (since 2010)

Castro 1.4

Peralta 1.0

2010-Present Away Batting

Peralta .269 BAVG .333 OBP .417 SLG .750 OPS 81.92 RC/650 11.68 PA/BB

Castro .293 BAVG .319 OBP .407 SLG .726 OPS 73.11 RC/650 32.09 PA/BB

Add in Castro's mental lapses, I am not sure I would trade Castro for Peralta. Let alone the likes of Turner or Castellanos.

Last edited:
You don't give up two prospects like Garza and Turner for a player like Castro.

Castro is a very good player, and of course I'd want him, but he's not worth that price.

He's not a great player.

And lol batting average.

Please show me where I said I would make that trade?? I wouldn't. Just responding to the guy that questioned if the Tigers would even want Castro??

If I were GM.....giving up Castellanos (not garza, he is a Cub) and Turner, I would expect a lot more in return than a 3rd or 4th starter and a good SS.

Besides that, Castro is an improvement as SS over Peralta right now.

On a team looking for someone who can take a freaking walk, Castro would be one of the worst. Castro career = 1 walk in every 24.0 Plate Appearances.

UZR/150

Peralta -2.8 (career), roughly 10.2 since 2010

Castro -3.0 (2010-present)

dWAR (since 2010)

Castro 1.4

Peralta 1.0

2010-Present Batting

Peralta .269 BAVG .333 OBP .417 SLG .750 OPS 81.92 RC/650 11.68 PA/BB

Castro .293 BAVG .319 OBP .407 SLG .726 OPS 73.11 RC/650 32.09 PA/BB

Add in Castro's mental lapses, I am not sure I would trade Castro for Peralta. Let alone the likes of Turner or Castellanos.

Thanks stats guy.....

Again, where did I say I would make that trade either??

I left out this year because the sample is small, but I conceded he is probably improving.

I'm not saying Peralta is anything spectacular, but Castro's not the upgrade you think unless you look at THIS SEASON only.

At the plate, yes, I never argued that.

Now having Castro at SS and Peralta at 2b would not improve us, because Worth and Santiago are both going to be better at 2b than Peralta.

So the fact is my argument is Castro's total 2 and 1/3 seasons are not as good as Peralta in the same time period.

Castro's only better if you only count the 60 games this year. And I'm not a fan of small sample sizes.

Here it is genius...."Castro's total 2 1/3 seasons are NOT AS GOOD AS PERALTA in the same time period".

Anything else Einstein........

Here it is genius...."Castro's total 2 1/3 seasons are NOT AS GOOD AS PERALTA in the same time period".

Anything else Einstein........

Okay Einstein's dumber second cousin, I said that, but it does not translate to Peralta is better then Castro NOW, just that you over-rate Castro, which has been proven.

Obviously Castro is younger, and faster, and right now, better than Peralta. Maybe he maintains his current defense, which is well above his career averages, or he wont, I'm not going to speculate.

You're like Fox News, take one sentence and use it out of context, why didn't you quote the original post? Oh, because it's looks better if you just use a fraction of a sentence.

Again, foot-in-mouth

Back