Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

LOL @ Inge

kingofdetroit57 said:
jdeb said:
A couple of weeks with Miggy at 3B will be enough to wish we would have hung on to Inge (assuming he is gone). People forget how well he did in the playoffs.

Personally, I have always liked Inge for his defense but I can do without the drama. If they are gonna go with Miggy, than just do it and get what you can for Inge and call it a day. The guy is the subject for a great deal of content on message boards.... enough already.
I think we can get the same level of defense and more positional versatility out of Danny Worth. Henning has an article on this subject in today's paper, and for once I tend to agree (although I'm not really sure he takes a position).

I'd guess that Inge is here in some capacity this season though. He's owed something like $5.5mil and is a 10/5 player who can't hit, so it's highly unlikely he'd get traded. I think his $500K option will get bought out and he'll ride off into the sunset next season.

If he bitches too much or becomes a disruption, the Tigers may give him another DFA though.

I respect your opinion but Worth could not hold Inge's jock strap when it come to defense at 3B. Inge is above average defensively and he was pressing last year because he totally sucked at the plate. He was stellar defensively in the playoffs because in my opinion, he was seeing the ball at the plate. Look, I am somewhat of an Inge homer because I am an older guy who appreciates the finer aspects of the game. As a former pitcher, I always coveted fine defensive players and could care less what they did at the plate.

With that being said, if they are going to go with Miggy at 3B, just do it and don't put Inge through a bunch of crap. DD has laid his bed, now he needs to sleep in it. Leyland might as well climb in there and give Dave a reach around while he is at it.

I am also sure there are plenty of teams that would want Inge and DD might do pretty good if he puts him out there. Look at last year, teams were calling but the Tigers held on because Leyland could not deal with Betemit defensively. Miggy is not much better than Betemit is really the point in all this useless post.

MI_Thumb said:
jdeb said:
A couple of weeks with Miggy at 3B will be enough to wish we would have hung on to Inge (assuming he is gone). People forget how well he did in the playoffs.

Personally, I have always liked Inge for his defense but I can do without the drama. If they are gonna go with Miggy, than just do it and get what you can for Inge and call it a day. The guy is the subject for a great deal of content on message boards.... enough already.

Who cares how well he did in the playoffs.

How about how bad he did in the regular season, and as far ad getting what you can for Inge, it's 0, in fact it would be a negative number. Nobody put a claim on Inge when he was DFA'd, and nobody would touch him now, unless we paid all his salary and threw in a couple prospects, then another team might take him.

His defense is going downhill fast BTW.

The only reason no one claimed him was the salary. Remember, it is a business. There was plenty of interest but the Tigers did not want to dish out cash coupled with the fact Leyland hated the defense of Betemit (rightfully so). Leyland probably through a fit when they got him or were thinking of it.

His defense is above average. If he is making contact, he is gold glove material plain and simple. Inge is a guy that lives and breaths the game. He has never been stellar at the plate. When he is making contact and contributing, his defense is stellar.

jdeb said:
MI_Thumb said:
Who cares how well he did in the playoffs.

How about how bad he did in the regular season, and as far ad getting what you can for Inge, it's 0, in fact it would be a negative number. Nobody put a claim on Inge when he was DFA'd, and nobody would touch him now, unless we paid all his salary and threw in a couple prospects, then another team might take him.

His defense is going downhill fast BTW.

The only reason no one claimed him was the salary. Remember, it is a business. There was plenty of interest but the Tigers did not want to dish out cash coupled with the fact Leyland hated the defense of Betemit (rightfully so). Leyland probably through a fit when they got him or were thinking of it.

His defense is above average. If he is making contact, he is gold glove material plain and simple. Inge is a guy that lives and breaths the game. He has never been stellar at the plate. When he is making contact and contributing, his defense is stellar.

What are you talking about?

Salary? WE DFA'd INGE! Any team could have picked him up and we would be paying almost all his salary. He had 0 value.

His defense has been slipping, a result of his 2 shot knees, and he's nowhere close to Gold Glove defense, and his arm is not what it once was either.

And I can't think of the last time Inge was "making contact and contributing".

I get it, people like Inge.....that's fine, but take off the rose colored glasses when it comes to his ability, has has none.

Last time I looked he was still getting paid...

jdeb said:

No kidding....you brought that up as a reason he was not picked up when he was waived, I just stated correctly that his new team would not be the ones paying him, the Tigers would be.

I'm guessing by the way you explain the interest in him and how the Tigers did not want to do something with him that you are not exactly sure what DFA means.

When a player is DFA'd (designated for assignment) the ballclub is severing it's ties with said player, who then after clearing waivers, is free to sign with any team he wants, still drawing his current contracts salary from his last team.

If ANY team had been interested, they would have jumped at him, because they would have gotten him for almost free, assuming he did not refuse to play for that team.

We're going to pay Inge 5.5 million this year no matter what, unless he accepts a trade to another team which is unlikely since nobody wants him, and he wont approve any trades being a 5/10 player.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I thought he had a buyout of 500k or is that next season?

Whenever it is, Mr I has the check written and post dated I'm sure.

UZR/150 last 4 years

Beltre (GG in 08 & 11)

2008 - 13.4
2009 - 21.2
2010 - 12.7
2011 - 17.0

AVG = 16.1

Longoria (GG in 09 & 10)

2008 - 20.9
2009 - 18.0
2010 - 12.4
2011 - 14.2

AVG = 16.4

Inge

2008 = 6.2
2009 = 6.9
2010 = 3.5
2011 = 3.3

AVG = 5.0

Don Kelly career at 3B = 7.0

For the life of me, except for 2006, I could never see how anyone would claim Inge as a Gold Glove 3B. The number just don't support such a claim. Is he above average? Yes. Is he an elite defensive 3B? Not in the last 4 years. He was in 2006 and 2007.

Couple that with his offensive wows and you find a player that costs his team on average 3 wins a season. When you have a player like Kelly that can provide you the same defense at 3B, then why do you need Inge?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I thought he had a buyout of 500k or is that next season?

No buyout this year.. He is scheduled to make 6 million in 2013 but the team has that 500k buyout next year... Holy crap Inge has been stealing money practically his whole career. After this year he has made over 30 million playing checkswing-baseball...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/i/ingebr01.shtml#trans

rebbiv said:
UZR/150 last 4 years

Beltre (GG in 08 & 11)

2008 - 13.4
2009 - 21.2
2010 - 12.7
2011 - 17.0

AVG = 16.1

Longoria (GG in 09 & 10)

2008 - 20.9
2009 - 18.0
2010 - 12.4
2011 - 14.2

AVG = 16.4

Inge

2008 = 6.2
2009 = 6.9
2010 = 3.5
2011 = 3.3

AVG = 5.0

For the life of me, except for 2006, I could never see how anyone would claim Inge as a Gold Glove 3B. The number just don't support such a claim. Is he above average? Yes. Is he an elite defensive 3B? Not in the last 4 years. He was in 2006 and 2007.

Couple that with his offensive wows and you find a player that costs his team on average 3 wins a season. When you have a player like Kelly that can provide you the same defense at 3B, then why do you need Inge?

It's range right then.. He gets to so many more balls then say the guys not in the top five...I am not defending him but I guess that is what most guys say about his defense..

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]
rebbiv said:
UZR/150 last 4 years

Beltre (GG in 08 & 11)

2008 - 13.4
2009 - 21.2
2010 - 12.7
2011 - 17.0

AVG = 16.1

Longoria (GG in 09 & 10)

2008 - 20.9
2009 - 18.0
2010 - 12.4
2011 - 14.2

AVG = 16.4

Inge

2008 = 6.2
2009 = 6.9
2010 = 3.5
2011 = 3.3

AVG = 5.0

It's range right then.. He gets to so many more balls then say the guys not in the top five...I am not defending him but I guess that is what most guys say about his defense..

I always thought he was quick and had good range. Most 3B have a good arm and Inge was never very accurate.

But the past 3 years or so, he doesn't have the same glove. It was always funny when Mario and the other dude would talk about Inge and say "there's a future GG in him". He was never that good.

Inge has no value left. He offers nothing that we can't get from kelly.

jdeb said:
kingofdetroit57 said:
I think we can get the same level of defense and more positional versatility out of Danny Worth. Henning has an article on this subject in today's paper, and for once I tend to agree (although I'm not really sure he takes a position).

I'd guess that Inge is here in some capacity this season though. He's owed something like $5.5mil and is a 10/5 player who can't hit, so it's highly unlikely he'd get traded. I think his $500K option will get bought out and he'll ride off into the sunset next season.

If he bitches too much or becomes a disruption, the Tigers may give him another DFA though.

I respect your opinion but Worth could not hold Inge's jock strap when it come to defense at 3B. Inge is above average defensively and he was pressing last year because he totally sucked at the plate. He was stellar defensively in the playoffs because in my opinion, he was seeing the ball at the plate. Look, I am somewhat of an Inge homer because I am an older guy who appreciates the finer aspects of the game. As a former pitcher, I always coveted fine defensive players and could care less what they did at the plate.

With that being said, if they are going to go with Miggy at 3B, just do it and don't put Inge through a bunch of crap. DD has laid his bed, now he needs to sleep in it. Leyland might as well climb in there and give Dave a reach around while he is at it.

I am also sure there are plenty of teams that would want Inge and DD might do pretty good if he puts him out there. Look at last year, teams were calling but the Tigers held on because Leyland could not deal with Betemit defensively. Miggy is not much better than Betemit is really the point in all this useless post.
All things considered, I'd bet Cabrera wins you 8-12 wins a year over Inge at 3B even with his below average defense. Inge is a career .235 hitter with two bum knees and average at best defense now.

kingofdetroit57 said:
jdeb said:
Bobby Bonilla is still getting paid too. What's your point?

KAPOW!!!
cool.png

Back