Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mario Williams?

Whoever gets Williams will probably have to pay $18-$20 million per year. It sounds crazy, but I've seen reports that the Bears, Seahawks, Bills, Falcons, Bucs, Chargers, Titans, Jags, and Patriots are interested. This is gonna be an epic bidding war. If he takes a discount, it'd be to stay with Houston.

lp4ever41 said:
Whoever gets Williams will probably have to pay $18-$20 million per year. It sounds crazy, but I've seen reports that the Bears, Seahawks, Bills, Falcons, Bucs, Chargers, Titans, Jags, and Patriots are interested. This is gonna be an epic bidding war. If he takes a discount, it'd be to stay with Houston.

sorry, he isnt worth it, nor do I believe he actually gets it.

SLICK said:
tsmith7559 said:
we have no money :-[

not until Calvin restructures....and even then it's Tulloch or a mid level CB

I can see the Lions saving $10 Mill with CJ and another $5 with Avril...but when does it happen.

tsmith7559 said:
lp4ever41 said:

sorry, he isnt worth it, nor do I believe he actually gets it.
Teams have tons of cap. He could easily get that. He isn't worth it, but I could see it.

He'll easily get $16 mil per year. Peppers was older two years ago and got $14 annually, and that was without a massive bidding war. Williams will probably be the highest paid defense player in NFL history by next week.

as a 4 - 3 DE he is worth every penny.

and if as was reported the Lions would have went out and got him and gave it to him every slapnut on here would be jaw wagging about it.

and if the Bears get him.....it's going to be a game changer in the NFC North.

like Sapp just said on NFL Network , it takes your 5 - 7 step passing game almost right outta your playbook when you have to gameplan for them.

SLICK said:

and if as was reported the Lions would have went out and got him and gave it to him every slapnut on here would be jaw wagging about it.
Probably. Doesn't matter, it can't happen.

lp4ever41 said:
SLICK said:

no kidding....but like most Lions fans they'll sht on whatever deal he gets and say he is overpaid.....but if it was the lions who did it...he'd be worth every penny.

SLICK said:
lp4ever41 said:

no kidding....but like most Lions fans they'll sht on whatever deal he gets and say he is overpaid.....but if it was the lions who did it...he'd be worth every penny.

2 double digits sack years in 6 yrs of playing. If he wasn't the #1 overall pick I doubt anyone talks about $18/yr

SLICK said:
lp4ever41 said:

Especially if its the Bears.

I still think he gets to $18 million annually. We'll see.

tsmith7559 said:
SLICK said:

2 double digits sack years in 6 yrs of playing. If he wasn't the #1 overall pick I doubt anyone talks about $18/yr

What's first impressive about Williams is how successful he has been without the presence of a second significant pass-rusher to play alongside him. Other pass-rushers who have hit free agency in recent years have had dynamic rushers on the other side of the field to take the heat away. Ray Edwards had Jared Allen, and Allen had Tamba Hali. Robert Mathis had Dwight Freeney. There was not a player of any note to operate across from Williams before 2011, and teams keyed on that fact by doubling Williams on virtually every single play.

Despite those double-teams, though, Williams was still able to sack the quarterback at a truly impressive rate. From 2006 through 2010, the Texans sacked opposing passers 143 times. Williams had 48 of those sacks, accounting for more than one of every three Texans sacks by himself. Over that time frame, only two players produced a higher percentage of their team's sacks than Williams did...Robert Mathis and DeMarcus Ware.

What's even more incredible is that Williams was doing all this at a remarkably young age. For a 25-year-old to average nearly 10 sacks per season over a five-year stretch is nearly unprecedented. In fact, since the NFL started tracking sacks in 1983, only two players have accrued more sacks by the time they turned 26 than Mario Williams: Derrick Thomas and Dwight Freeney.

compared to our De who has 1 double digit sack year and that was against no double teams and makes close to 11 million. I said it in january....shoulda let him walk, restructure calvin and have the room to pay mario 15-17 million which is what hes going to get. Not restructuring calvin by now kills our FA chances to do much of anything.

He's getting paid and probably should. If the Bears get him I'll be bummed. Him and Peppers with Backus and Chelius blocking their asses, ut oh.

Like its been said above if they Bears get him its gonna suck, but honestly they will be going nowhere. Makes no sense for them to go all out on Mario when they would still need a DT, OLB, two safeties, CB, almost an entire O-Line, a TE and a true #1 WR. Not to mention they need to re-sign Forte and I'm sure Jay Cutler wants an extension with only two years left. They will have 30+mil per year tied up in DE's, I just don't think its practically with where there roster stands.

detroit1811 said:
Like its been said above if they Bears get him its gonna suck, but honestly they will be going nowhere. Makes no sense for them to go all out on Mario when they would still need a DT, OLB, two safeties, CB, almost an entire O-Line, a TE and a true #1 WR. Not to mention they need to re-sign Forte and I'm sure Jay Cutler wants an extension with only two years left. They will have 30+mil per year tied up in DE's, I just don't think its practically with where there roster stands.

Then trade them for draft picks.

Back