Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Matthew Stafford comes in as No. 9 QB in NFL

Last edited:
On the radio, I think it was something to the effect of he will be traded. That was the prediction.

It?s unlikely.....but not impossible. It?s $30M in dead cap money if he?s traded and $50M if he?s cut. He clearly won?t be cut. But with a $29.5M cap hit trading him COULD happen this season.

However, there are a few things to consider.

1. Most importantly....who would be interested....and who replaces him. Cassell? No. Bridgewater, Winston or Fitzpatrick are the three top veterans available. (Winston would have to be a trade). TEddy B. is an interesting choice....but do you want to throw money at a guy who?s best season saw him throw for 201 yards/game and a whopping 14 TD in 16 games. He?s a stopgap right now. If he were just looking for a one year deal to prove himself as a starter it might be worth it......But it would probably take 10 million for a one year deal and that?s $40 million of cap money dedicated to the quarterback position. That?s a lot!

2. Does Quin (and/or Patricia) have the job security to go through a quarterback rebuild?

3. Is Martha Ford willing to pay Stafford $66M this year and then let him walk? That?s a pride swallowing amount of cash, even for the Fords.

4. Is there someone coming out THIS year you want to build around? Do the Lions like Herbert enough...could they get him? Haskins if he comes out? Lock?

Personally, my opinion is it?s an all in season for Stafford and the Lions in 2019. If the season isn?t a success (meaning a higher seed or a low seed WIN) it?s likely Stafford is gone and another rebuild will start with ANOTHER GM and head coach.

It?s unlikely.....but not impossible. It?s $30M in dead cap money if he?s traded and $50M if he?s cut. He clearly won?t be cut. But with a $29.5M cap hit trading him COULD happen this season.

1. Most importantly....who would be interested....and who replaces him. Cassell? No. Bridgewater, Winston or Fitzpatrick are the three top veterans available. (Winston would have to be a trade). TEddy B. is an interesting choice....but do you want to throw money at a guy who?s best season saw him throw for 201 yards/game and a whopping 14 TD in 16 games. He?s a stopgap right now. If he were just looking for a one year deal to prove himself as a starter it might be worth it......But it would probably take 10 million for a one year deal and that?s $40 million of cap money dedicated to the quarterback position. That?s a lot!

2. Does Quin (and/or Patricia) have the job security to go through a quarterback rebuild?

3. Is Martha Ford willing to pay Stafford $66M this year and then let him walk? That?s a pride swallowing amount of cash, even for the Fords.

4. Is there someone coming out THIS year you want to build around? Do the Lions like Herbert enough...could they get him? Haskins if he comes out? Lock?

Personally, my opinion is it?s an all in season for Stafford and the Lions in 2019. If the season isn?t a success (meaning a higher seed or a low seed WIN) it?s likely Stafford is gone and another rebuild will start with ANOTHER GM and head coach.

Saw this morning Hebert is returning to Oregon...which is good news for the Lions. Less top tier Qbs at the top of the draft means more opportunity to move down or have teams jump infront of you that want one.

I believe we could structure a trade to spread out the cap hit over two years. 10 million next year. 20 million the following year.

Then we trade for Nick Foles. Eagles will likely have to trade or cut him, they can't pay a backup 20 million. Especially considering they are currently scheduled to be over the cap.

We dump Stafford, get Foles for a year, for the same total price. New team gets Stafford for around 20 million a year. We get a few draft picks, Eagles are happy to get rid of foles and pick up a low round pick in the process.

Everyone wins.

It won't happen.

I believe we could structure a trade to spread out the cap hit over two years. 10 million next year. 20 million the following year.

Then we trade for Nick Foles. Eagles will likely have to trade or cut him, they can't pay a backup 20 million. Especially considering they are currently scheduled to be over the cap.

We dump Stafford, get Foles for a year, for the same total price. New team gets Stafford for around 20 million a year. We get a few draft picks, Eagles are happy to get rid of foles and pick up a low round pick in the process.

Everyone wins.

It won't happen.

So, you want to give up a high draft pick for a 30 yr old backup QB?? Or multiple picks maybe?? Lmao...great plan.

But it won't be for a low rd...

Why not? Everybody knows Philly can't afford him, so they don't hold a lot of bargaining power.

There aren't going to be tons of people after Foles on a final year of a contract. In a scenario where the Lions trade Stafford for a high pick or two, he would make sense as a 1 year player. Not sure how many other teams would be after that. After all it is Nick Foles. But I would take him for a year before playing a rookie.

So in my mind, it's a trade that would make sense.

I wouldn't want the Lions to spend a pick on a QB next draft, but in '20, yeah. Too many needs elsewhere. The do need a better backup than Cassel is next season, since their schedule should be easy enough for a .500 record or better w/o having to actually be a good team, should he miss any games due to injury.

Last edited:
Why not? Everybody knows Philly can't afford him, so they don't hold a lot of bargaining power.

There aren't going to be tons of people after Foles on a final year of a contract. In a scenario where the Lions trade Stafford for a high pick or two, he would make sense as a 1 year player. Not sure how many other teams would be after that. After all it is Nick Foles. But I would take him for a year before playing a rookie.

So in my mind, it's a trade that would make sense.

I could see Foles traded to Jags, they need to move on from Bortles, and try to improve after their surprisingly poor '18 season.

I could see Foles traded to Jags, they need to move on from Bortles, and try to improve after their surprisingly poor '18 season.

i think that takes atleast a 2nd rd pick. Even with 1 year left on a deal...candidate for extend and trade or sign and trade prior.

No they are the ones that will be trading for Stafford, my whole plan hinges on that.

I predict that if stafford is traded in the off season he’d end up having the best year of his carrer and winning a playoff game with someone else. I’m really starting to think the biggest issue with this team is the bearded guy

Last edited:
Stafford is a 9 year vet, subtracting the games that he missed during '09-'10. I would give him one more season to get his shit "back" together, but if he still stinks and/or becomes injured yet again, then make him a one-season backup/spot starter to a signed FA vet or draft pick, cut him outright, or trade him in '20. Seems like he has had some kind of issue to overcome almost every season, like the lack of a running game, not enough weapons, shitty oline, new coaches, fucked up throwing hand/finger needing a glove, or hidden injury rumored to be hampering him.

But I am sure that if the Lions fire JBC, and hire a new OC, then the new guy's system will become the next scapegoat, should he have a relatively injury free, but mediocre or worse '19 season, even despite the half-cakewalk that it could be.

I wouldn't want the Lions to spend a pick on a QB next draft, but in '20, yeah. Too many needs elsewhere. The do need a better backup than Cassels is next season, since their schedule should be easy enough for a .500 record or better w/o having to actually be a good team, should he miss any games due to injury.

I don't know what there plans are but sitting a QB for a couple years isn't that bad of an idea. Plus in case of an injury.

Last edited:
I predict that if stafford is traded in the off season he’d end up having the best year of his carrer and winning a playoff game with someone else. I’m really starting to think the biggest issue with this team is the bearded guy

I would agree with that if he had been a successful HC elsewhere, but it was his rookie season coaching for the most notorious NFL franchise for killing their careers. I am willing to give him two years to improve before dumping him for yet another who could also fall victim to the Lion curse.

I didn't find out until recently that ex-Lions HC Caldwell's DC Teryl Austin had been fired by the Bengals in mid-November, not even lasting a full season as their DC. His defense gave up 500+ yds in 3 consecutive games...now that is truly being Lionesque! He once was touted as being a shortlist HC candidate for some NFL teams, and there were some Lions fans who wanted him to become the next Lions HC as well.

Last edited:
I would agree with that if he had been a successful HC elsewhere, but it was his rookie season coaching for the most notorious NFL franchise for killing their careers. I am willing to give him two years to improve before dumping him for yet another who could also fall victim to the Lion curse.

I didn't find out until recently that ex-Lions HC Caldwell's DC Teryl Austin had been fired by the Bengals in mid-November, not even lasting a full season as their DC. His defense gave up 500+ yds in 3 consecutive games...now that is truly being Lionesque! He once was touted as being a shortlist HC candidate for some NFL teams, and there were some Lions fans who wanted him to become the next Lions HC as well.

Just more examples where good players make coordinators look smart and bad players make coordinators look bad.

Back