Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Matthew Stafford comes in as No. 9 QB in NFL

I predict that if stafford is traded in the off season he?d end up having the best year of his carrer and winning a playoff game with someone else. I?m really starting to think the biggest issue with this team is the bearded guy

Not a chance. Partly because he stinks and partly because the teams that need QB are not very good.

https://www.detroitlionspodcast.com/ash-thompson/2019/01/04/lions-trade-stafford/
The Detroit Lions Could Trade Matthew Stafford But They Won?t.
DLP

Because it's financially impossible to do it. Maybe they want to but it just won't happen. Unless the Lions are getting back 2 first rounders then Stafford is our guy for at least another yr. I think he's like a 20MIL cap hit in 2020 as well lol.
Get used to it, boys!!! #9 is our guy for at least 2 more yrs!!!
Wooooooooooooooo!!

If there's a 20m cap but don't we lose his salary if traded or doesn't it work that way?

If there's a 20m cap but don't we lose his salary if traded or doesn't it work that way?

no, it would be like they are paying him $20M to not play here. It's because they gave him money up front. They still have to account for it against the cap.

https://www.detroitlionspodcast.com/ash-thompson/2019/01/04/lions-trade-stafford/
The Detroit Lions Could Trade Matthew Stafford But They Won’t.
DLP

This article is poorly researched and written. The only way they take a 49 million cap his is if they cut him.

If they trade him prior to June 1 they take a 30 million cap hit in 2019...or 500k more than having him on the team.

If they trade him after June 1 they take a 10 million cap hit in 2019...or a 19.5 million cap savings.
Then they take a 20 million cap hit in 2020..or 11.5 million cap savings for 2020.

Basically the total cap hit is the same if they trade him ($30 million), what year it is applied to is the only difference between pre and post june 1st.

Last edited:

Yes if we trade him we are only responsible for the rest of his signing bonus ($30 million). His salary, roster bonus and workout bonus are the responsibility of the new team.

If we cut him then we are responsible for his salary, roster and workout bonus for 2019 since those became fully guaranteed last year. But like I said if we trade him, the new team is responsible for those guarantees.

Yes if we trade him we are only responsible for the rest of his signing bonus ($30 million). His salary, roster bonus and workout bonus are the responsibility of the new team.

If we cut him then we are responsible for his salary, roster and workout bonus for 2019 since those became fully guaranteed last year. But like I said if we trade him, the new team is responsible for those guarantees.

So we pay him not to play him. No team wants that.. Unless like said above he gets some first round picks. In any event the ones that could make a trade see Matt as more valuable than I do so he stays ..

So we pay him not to play him. No team wants that.. Unless like said above he gets some first round picks. In any event the ones that could make a trade see Matt as more valuable than I do so he stays ..

The Lions are stuck with Stafford for now. I don't think there is a GM in the league that would give up much for him. He has proven that he can't carry a team.

I only have one question about Stafford, how bad does he want to win? I ask because the overall vibe I get from his demeanor in press conferences as well as his field presence just doesn't come off to me as a man whom wants it bad enough, he looks defeated and having the appearance of one having the life sucked out of him. How bad to you want it Mathew Stafford? Do you want it just as badly as the fan base? Do you feel that deep burning hunger? I don't think you do.

Last edited:
I only have one question about Stafford, how bad does he want to win? I ask because the overall vibe I get from his demeanor in press conferences as well as his field presence just doesn't come off to me as a man whom wants it bad enough, he looks defeated and having the appearance of one having the life sucked out of him. How bad to you want it Mathew Stafford? Do you want it just as badly as the fan base? Do you feel that deep burning hunger? I don't think you do.

You have to understand and I'm sure you too, Coaches, GM eventually get fired. Players go to another team, get cut, or retire. End of the day the fans are the ones left.

I remember when Tate 2-3 years ago didn't understand why the fans at the game were booing.. it's because they're the ones that are here every day. You think Matt will care about the Lions when he's gone? Of course not.

Now I'm not saying he doesn't want to win but it's different between a player and a fan.

You have to understand and I'm sure you too, Coaches, GM eventually get fired. Players go to another team, get cut, or retire. End of the day the fans are the ones left.

I remember when Tate 2-3 years ago didn't understand why the fans at the game were booing.. it's because they're the ones that are here every day. You think Matt will care about the Lions when he's gone? Of course not.

Now I'm not saying he doesn't want to win but it's different between a player and a fan.

I hear ya! I think what I'm ultimately trying to say is that the Lions will probably never accomplish the ultimate goal until we have enough players and coaches that want it bad enough. I don't know what that's going to take but I did appreciate what TJ Lang said the other day. I think he gets it. I don't think everybody needs to be from around here to get it either, it's a mindset and most either have it or they don't. Some are OK with losing others are not. Some say there aren't but deep down by the end of the day while it may not be desired they decide it's OK

https://detroitsportsnation.com/t-j...ons-message-fans/mwhitaker/01/03/2019/200027/

Last edited:
That's hard. Maybe you don't see our QB get emotions after losses but maybe deep down he's pissed. But my opinion Matt doesn't have what it takes to put the team on his shoulder and win. There have been what some consider not so good QB take bad teams to the playoffs and win. When is the last time Matt won a game we had no right to win? Cleveland 2010? Even when Suh was here and the defense was good we did nothing.

Bottom line, 10 years and nothing - about time we change it up.

That's hard. Maybe you don't see our QB get emotions after losses but maybe deep down he's pissed. But my opinion Matt doesn't have what it takes to put the team on his shoulder and win. There have been what some consider not so good QB take bad teams to the playoffs and win. When is the last time Matt won a game we had no right to win? Cleveland 2010? Even when Suh was here and the defense was good we did nothing.

Bottom line, 10 years and nothing - about time we change it up.

I don't recall the specific years now as it's all just a blur but I do think he commanded a much better field presents in some previous years than what I saw in 2018 merely only brief glimpses of it in 2018, it needs to be everyday at all waking hours

Last edited:
Back