Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan BCS Scenario Thread

UM was actually a fair amount ahead of Baylor before tonight. So I'm sure they pass us either.

Anyways, I believe it to be a lock that OK State passes Alabama. Last week they split the computer polls. And the voters (SEC BIASED) had to rank OK ST. 5th in the Harris and USA Today polls just to keep them at 3 in the overall BCS standings.

They will be forced to ranked them 3 this week, meaning that they will get a push from both human polls. And BCS will certainly like that they beat #10 Oklahoma and beat them so easily. My guess BCS computers favor OK. State 4 to 2.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Anyways, I believe it to be a lock that OK State passes Alabama. Last week they split the computer polls. And the voters (SEC BIASED) had to rank OK ST. 5th in the Harris and USA Today polls just to keep them at 3 in the overall BCS standings.

They will be forced to ranked them 3 this week, meaning that they will get a push from both human polls. And BCS will certainly like that they beat #10 Oklahoma and beat them so easily. My guess BCS computers favor OK. State 4 to 2.

I think you could be right. They pass VA Tech for sure in the human polls but will they pass Stanford?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]UM was actually a fair amount ahead of Baylor before tonight. So I'm sure they pass us either.

Yea but you gotta look at the computer numbers. 3 of the 6 polls placed Baylor ahead of Michigan last week. And of the other 3 computers Michigan was 2 spots ahead in one, and another only 1 spot above. Both of those will flip after Texas win. Meaning that at least 5 of the 6 BCS computers say Baylor > Michigan. While in the Human Polls we were ranked above by two spots in both.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
[quote="Rich what? Richmond!":nvaoubyv]Anyways, I believe it to be a lock that OK State passes Alabama. Last week they split the computer polls. And the voters (SEC BIASED) had to rank OK ST. 5th in the Harris and USA Today polls just to keep them at 3 in the overall BCS standings.

I think you could be right. They pass VA Tech for sure in the human polls but will they pass Stanford? [/quote:nvaoubyv]

Probably. Everyone saw that game. Lots of the coaches who vote were idle today meaning they got to watch the games. Meaning they watched the fleecing of Oklahoma. Even just being pushed to 4th in the polls might be enough. Plus some coaches will be against rematch

I agree I think. Computer polls make no sense to me. I never understand how a team could be ranked 4 in 3 of those and above 10 in the others where one might be 18.

Oh the computers include 6 different formulas. I don't know the formulas, not privy to that. However, of the 6 computer rankings the top ranking and the lowest are discarded. Then you take the 4 remaining and get your average. Then you take the ranking of the two human polls and average those with the averaged computer ranking.

[color=#551A8B said:
Rich what? Richmond![/color]]Oh the computers include 6 different formulas. I don't know the formulas, not privy to that. However, of the 6 computer rankings the top ranking and the lowest are discarded. Then you take the 4 remaining and get your average. Then you take the ranking of the two human polls and average those with the averaged computer ranking.

Don't you get a -1 for each loss and certain points for a win against a bcs team?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
[quote="Rich what? Richmond!":26qr69zl]Oh the computers include 6 different formulas. I don't know the formulas, not privy to that. However, of the 6 computer rankings the top ranking and the lowest are discarded. Then you take the 4 remaining and get your average. Then you take the ranking of the two human polls and average those with the averaged computer ranking.

Don't you get a -1 for each loss and certain points for a win against a bcs team? [/quote:26qr69zl]

Depends, on which computer. The A&H computer uses strength of schedule, record vs. top 10, record vs. 11-25, and losses against other teams not in 25. Screw this mitch I am not going in detail with these computers lol.

I am still notsure we get up to 14 in bcs

Not feeling good about bcs odds

But as I say we can always be pleasantly surprised

I hope for TCU/Michigan. However, that won't happen because I believe OK St. plays for the NC. Meaning that when it comes to At Large bids the Fiesta gets back to back picks, but the Sugar Bowl would be obligated to first take Alabama because of rules. Meaning the Fiesta can pick their matchup (sweet for them). They get to choose from Stanford, Michigan, Kansas State, TCU.

To me I would think thats easy. Stanford vs. Michigan. But who knows.

Last week, when I was looking at our odds I totally overlooked that Baylor played Texas. Gotta root for either Oklahoma or Houston to fall behind us boys. Or for Baylor to stay behind us.

Just need one of those 3 things to happen

If Bama I am not sure we are ready for them

Yes we had a good year but I think there is still a difference between the two teams

But even so I love our team I just like to be somewhat realistic

Have i said I hate this system... Something tells me we are going to get hosed somehow..

VA tech and UM will both have 2 losses. UM played a harder schedule and getting blown out I really think UM moves ahead of them.

Back