Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU basektball recruiting

Eventually. Maybe. right? As of now, we have 1 open scholarship available. The Harris and Dawson scholarships can't be offered until those guys announce they are leaving. Is that not correct? So if Looney miraculously picks MSU tomorrow, where does that leave us w/ Blueitt who says he's announcing next week?

that's not correct, you can offer as many as you want but you could go over. Andre Drummond was actually a walk on at UConn because they were over, he made one tuition payment at the end of his first semester, wasn't a big deal because him going to the NBA was a foregone conclusion.

Eventually. Maybe. right? As of now, we have 1 open scholarship available. The Harris and Dawson scholarships can't be offered until those guys announce they are leaving. Is that not correct? So if Looney miraculously picks MSU tomorrow, where does that leave us w/ Blueitt who says he's announcing next week?

No, they can offer as many scholarships as they want. As long as they are at 13 or under by next year this time or whatever date the NCAA has set. We could ake commitments from 9 guys if we wanted, like Kentucky does some years. Looney and Blueitt would both have scholarships, and Cliff Alexander too. There is bound to be some attrition as well.

so what do they do if they sign 3 more and Dawson doesn't leave?

I think the plan is to sign two more, it would be a shock to get looney and cliff but they'd find room.

you're allowed 13 scholarships, we'd have Costello, Gauna, Byrd, Ellis, Schilling, trice, DV, Bess, nairn, kaminsky, for 2014. that means we have room for 3 more, either Harris or Dawson if they stay and then one more player, assuming those two leave we have room for 3 more.

you can also give out half scholarships too, you could have 26 players each getting half of the money.

Word is Alexander and Tyus are announcing this week too. We won't get either but still seems like everyone wants to commit this week.

And as far as Blueitt goes, Jerry Meyer said one of the Xavier assistance had an at home with him last night. Seems like he's really torn between msu and xavier.

Word is Alexander and Tyus are announcing this week too. We won't get either but still seems like everyone wants to commit this week.

And as far as Blueitt goes, Jerry Meyer said one of the Xavier assistance had an at home with him last night. Seems like he's really torn between msu and xavier.

the buzz is that Jones and Okafor may go to Kansas which would be great for us. I heard that Duke cooled on Jones based on his involvement with an agent and handler, which means he's perfect for Kansas.

this could line up well for MSU getting Cliff

Twitter is buzzing that Alexander is 100 percent Illini.

Looney is announcing in about 30 minutes.

I would actually be happy to see Alexander to Illinois. That program loses more in-state talent than any other in the country. And it's good for the B1G.

Last edited:
Looney now announcing at 3pm EST. His school decidd they wouldn't let him do it there.

Izzo had some interesting things to say to day about recruiting, mainly, "There's too many middle men." The state of college basketball recruiting today makes football recruiting look like it's on the total up and up. A school has to have a relationship to the money men to get certain players. Not every top recruit, but about 75% of the top 15 guys it seems like.

Give some credit to Duke though, there's rumor that they told Jones no thanks because of his relationship with one of these "money men". Now Okafor and Jones may end up at Kansas.

and cliff just cut us today, the hits just keep on coming

and cliff just cut us today, the hits just keep on coming

So sad that a little over a year ago we were a lock for him. I'll enjoy this season as much as I can, might be a while until we have the talent that we have now.

So sad that a little over a year ago we were a lock for him. I'll enjoy this season as much as I can, might be a while until we have the talent that we have now.

I think his handlers cut MSU more than anything, a year ago he said we were the favorite. he was supposedly coming to the Michigan game and now the recruitment is over?

The Cliff Alexander situation is curious. We were his favorite for over a year, then Kansas took the lead, he was supposed to visit this week, but it was supposed to have been kept quiet, news got out and he canceled his visit. Izzo comes out yesterday and talks about "too many middle men" in Chicago recruitinig, then Alexander says there is no relationship with MSU anymore last night.

Shit went down and Izzo likely told Alexander's "handlers" to go fuck themselves.

You'd love to get a talent like Alexander, but Izzo is not going to play ball with thse creeps that are "handling" these kids. Izzo has 3 MCD's AAs on his team and another 5 star in Payne, he's gotten his share of marquee players, but I think you're seeing a shift now in that the majority of the top 10 or 15 players have "handlers" which are really just slimier versions of agents, if that's possibe.

Johnny something or someone changed Cliffs mind. It's on record that he loves Izzo and talked about him every day.
An Izzo quote on recruiting against Kentucky,
"There is no rivalry there because we're not winning enough battles, but then again, those are the battles that matter to the fans. The games are the battles that matter to the teams, so we've got a chance to win that battle. The other one, I'm not doing very good."

He hit the nail on the head there, I don't care if we win with 3 stars 4 stars or 5 stars, at the end of the day that's all that matters. We as fans get too caught up in recruiting (I do so myself), but we all know Izzo has done a lot with the little he has. And one day we'll look back and say that he and Kryzewski did things the right way. I'm so glad that Mike doesn't want Jones because of the "agent" crap.

I agree that a program doesn't turn down one and done talent when the chance is there, but they can also be more trouble than they are worth. Unless you are Kentucky and can get a whole starting lineup of them that can contend for a NC right out of the gate, and then do it all again the next year, the only situation where it works fairly well is when you have a veteran team with good but maybe not great talent and needs that extra boost to get over the top, if they can do it without upsetting team chemistry. The way Jabari Parker could have been this season. Otherwise, you're basically Baylor. A team needs NBA talent to win, but it need not be 1 and done top 10 kids. It can be guys in the next tier or unheralded guys that stick around 2 or 3 years and develop into NBA talents (Trey Burke, for instance).

Next year is going to be a rebuilding year regardless. Getting one of those studs might boost a team that might otherwise be a 9 or 10 seed into the 4 or 5 range. But then they'd put up big numbers, leave after a year, and we wouldn't be much better off the following season.

Still, signing only a PG who barely ranks in the top 60 and wing that doesn't rank anywhere isn't enough either.

Last edited:
Basketball recruiting is more important than Football recruiting as I think the higher ratings are much more predictive of college performance in basketball than in football. You almost never get a 5 star basketball recruit who isn't at least all conference. In football it's more of a crap shoot.

Izzo is a greta coach and one of the most visible guys in the game, but he hasn;t put a ton of guys into the NBA. All 90% of these kids care about now is the NBA, few give a shit about winning in college. It is what it is, he'll get his share of guys, but this was certainly the worst year he's had recruiting in terms of missing on all of his top targets.

Basketball recruiting is more important than Football recruiting as I think the higher ratings are much more predictive of college performance in basketball than in football. You almost never get a 5 star basketball recruit who isn't at least all conference. In football it's more of a crap shoot.

Izzo is a greta coach and one of the most visible guys in the game, but he hasn;t put a ton of guys into the NBA. All 90% of these kids care about now is the NBA, few give a shit about winning in college. It is what it is, he'll get his share of guys, but this was certainly the worst year he's had recruiting in terms of missing on all of his top targets.

it's way more important for a number of reasons, the players are a lot closer to contributing than they are in football, nobody red shirts and there is AAU ball so you can see the best vs the best. stars and rankings are much more telling in hoops

Back