Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

I began asking myself this season, why would a single offensive recruit want to play here as currently constructed staff-wise? Same can be said for a defensive player, do you really want to bust your ass game in game out for 4 years to lose games like Monday?

I thought the same thing. Why the hell go to MSU and play for an offense that barely scores?

Tre'von Morgan got a 4 star bump on Rivals, due for a big bump on 247 too. Alante Brown didn't sign because he had a couple classes to complete, he's still all MSU, but other programs are coming hard, he's getting offered by some big time programs lately, Florida State is a threat. Brown also got a 4 star bump from 1 of the services recently.

Both of these recruits are potential game changers in college. Brown has pure speed and elusiveness. Morgan is a mismatch because of his size and speed combination.

Alante Brown is no longer part of the class, he's reporting that Dantonio pulled his offer. Sounds like he wasn't forthright with the staff about visiting Florida State.

Totally sucks, we desperately need speed like his. The staff stuck with him when other schools didn't, and he shit on them in the end.

2020 class had started. Dallas Fincher, 6-4, 275 OG from East Kentwood has committed. He’s a solid recruit with offers from Ohio State, Wisconsin, Miami FL, Iowa, and UM. Great way to start the class. High 3 star low 4 star.

4 star safety, Darius Snow from TX is expected to join the 2020 class tonight.

Snow commits to MSU. Was nearly a 5 star, still a composite 4.

Offers from Bama, Clemson, LSU, ND, Georgia, etc. big time get and a Spartan legacy.

Western Michigan freshman All American WR, Jayden Reed, is transferring to MSU. 56 catches and 8TDs last year.

2019 class had a late addition in Belleville DT/DE Jalen Hunt. Was an Iowa commit, but they gave up on him because he didn’t qualify right away, he took a class this Summer and is good to go. Kid was a phenom last year for Belleville. On a team with a couple 5 stars and several 4 stars he was the best player. Coach says he ran a 4.6 last season when he was about 260 lbs. Played DE/DT and had 27 TFLs and 13 sacks. Also played RB and had 11 TDs. He’s up to 300 lbs at 6-3. Could be a stud. Nice late addition.

not good when you're getting out-recruited by Mark Stoops - he's the Chris Cuomo (Fredo) of the Stoops family, the guy is a clown.

Last edited:
It's not a good look. Makes it look like Dantonio is mailing in recruiting or maybe he's not assuring kids that he'll be around in 4 years.

hard to say, this has really been the story of his career - while he's elevated the recruiting from consistent shit to consistent mediocrity, other than 1 good year, he's never really been able to translate success on the field to success in recruiting.

This makes it even more disheartening that Dantonio refuses to get rid of non-performing coaches. He doesn't get the kind of players that can overcome shitty game planning with superior talent, particularly on offense where the play calling and player development has been atrocious. This is exasperated in years when the stars on defense are the Chris Freys of the world hitting guys 12 yards out of bounds to extend drives.

Last edited:
cant believe i beat Johny tot he punch with this gem - i wonder if he has just given up on DSF. Anyway, we landed another 3 star running back. Im not an insider nor do i know anyone who is so i cant say if he's a garden variety 3 star or one of those high 3 stars on the upgrade watchlist. Hopefully he's the kind of 3 star that can rush for 100+ per game with an offensive line that can't block. it would help if hes the kind of 3 star that can convert 3rd and long from the wildcat.

https://www.si.com/college/michigan...-the-spartans-land-3-20-ga-rb-jordon-simmons/

Last edited:
He had a lot of really good offers. So I guess that's a plus

yeah, I was surprised to see GA, Fla, Fla St and even uofm - they suck but Harbaugh still recruits and gets elite level kids. When I see those SEC offers the pessimist in me thinks we just stole a plan c 3rd stringer from them.

cant believe i beat Johny tot he punch with this gem - i wonder if he has just given up on DSF. Anyway, we landed another 3 star running back. Im not an insider nor do i know anyone who is so i cant say if he's a garden variety 3 star or one of those high 3 stars on the upgrade watchlist. Hopefully he's the kind of 3 star that can rush for 100+ per game with an offensive line that can't block. it would help if hes the kind of 3 star that can convert 3rd and long from the wildcat.

https://www.si.com/college/michigan...-the-spartans-land-3-20-ga-rb-jordon-simmons/

Love this running back. Ran a laser timed 4.53 at the Opening. People poo poo that, but that was good for the 5th fastest time in the country for RBs. All these supposed 4.4 RBs in high school usually run in the 4.6s when they get laser timed. To put in into perspective, Justin Layne ran a 4.54 laser timed in highs school and a 4.50 at the NFL combine. Simmons ran a 4.38 hand timed when camping at MSU.

He's got great speed, but his acceleration is really good too. He's a monster in the weight room apparently. LSU, Georgia, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Florida, Michigan, and Louisville offers among others. Definitely the type of speed guy we need.

As much gloom and doom is around the program, next year's skilled position should be pretty explosive with Simmons, Williams, and Collins at RB. WR should have some more speed too, looks like Alante Brown is an MSU lean again after a year of prep school, bring him in and we'd have Brown, Nailor, and Reed (WMU transfer) all as elusive slot guys with good speed. O Line has a lot of young talent too.

Love this running back. Ran a laser timed 4.53 at the Opening. People poo poo that, but that was good for the 5th fastest time in the country for RBs. All these supposed 4.4 RBs in high school usually run in the 4.6s when they get laser timed. To put in into perspective, Justin Layne ran a 4.54 laser timed in highs school and a 4.50 at the NFL combine. Simmons ran a 4.38 hand timed when camping at MSU.

He's got great speed, but his acceleration is really good too. He's a monster in the weight room apparently. LSU, Georgia, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Florida, Michigan, and Louisville offers among others. Definitely the type of speed guy we need.

As much gloom and doom is around the program, next year's skilled position should be pretty explosive with Simmons, Williams, and Collins at RB. WR should have some more speed too, looks like Alante Brown is an MSU lean again after a year of prep school, bring him in and we'd have Brown, Nailor, and Reed (WMU transfer) all as elusive slot guys with good speed. O Line has a lot of young talent too.

I'm kind of over having a stable of slot receivers. I know the landscape of college football has changed and I should probably be happy with guys that can catch balls in traffic and pick up 1st downs but I'd like to see us land some guys or a guy with true deep threat kinda speed.

More importantly though, we have bigger needs to address on the o-line both in terms of talent and coaching. Even if Dobbs pans out which all indications so far are that he's progressing, it's not enough.

Last edited:
Back