Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

New Commit

Maize&Cheese304 said:
Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it wrong.

I don't like nascar but people call driving in a left circle a sport.

Its been programmed into man's brain to hunt since forever. Competition has been around for forever. Its about one man saying I did better than you.

I do think NASCAR is wrong lol.

newton83 said:
MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
But this affects the deer population as well. You don't see too many walking around downtown ann arbor. Where humans aren't - deer live. The same could be with the wolf population. It might not be a 100% solution, but it would certainly help if there is a problem. This is a "problem" hunters say they are fixing when they kill things. And the justification they give. A good example is the UP - the UP is vastly untouched and would be a suitable place for this to happen. Your theory doesn't explain why it wouldn't work in a situation like that except that hunters want to kill the deer, they don't want something else doing it.

The thing is, it doesn't affect the deer population as much as the predators. Have you been to North Campus and seen deer walking around the landscaping next to the buildings? Have you seen deer crossing Huron River Parkway well within the city limits? How about deer that wander around farmland and fields in the areas surrounding the cities? Wolves and bobcats need contiguous forest to shelter their young and provide cover for the hunt. Wide-open fields are the perfect spot for deer to camp out and grub down while having advanced warning of any predators.

About the UP, did you miss the part where wolves were reintroduced? Their population has soared so much that the DNR wants them to no longer be protected. My theory explains why reintroducing them has helped the UP. I never said that it should not be attempted at all; rather, it needs to be done smartly in places where they can thrive. Since the UP has already been "restocked", I took the broad assumption that you meant to extend the effort into the lower counties. It could work in some places, but not SE Michigan, where there are copious numbers of deer. Finally, the point you're missing is that "thinning the herd" is not the sole reason to allow hunters, but rather a side-benefit. If the population numbers drop then quotas will go down and limits put in place, but people will still be allowed to hunt in reasonable numbers.

Getting taken off the endangered species list does not make them a full population. It just means they aren't at risk for extinction in the area.

It'd be funny if drake johnson somehow was on this board.

"Wow a 10 page thread about me, they love me already"

5mins of reading* "the fuck is this?"

I suggested to the mods that they split these topics into their own thread. No idea if they have that capability on this board or are willing to do it. Seems obvious to me.

Maize&Cheese304 said:

Ha, that would be pretty funny.

newton83 said:
I suggested to the mods that they split these topics into their own thread. No idea if they have that capability on this board or are willing to do it. Seems obvious to me.

Or just lock it up.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Maize&Cheese304 said:

Ha, that would be pretty funny.

That would be great!

theo said:
newton83 said:

Or just lock it up.

Why, what rules have been broken. Its been funny and friendly.

Doubtful, I have a safe full of them!

Preparedness1.jpg

Getting the fish to take the bait IS the skill. Come on man you are sounding more ignorant than usual. There is a reason some people are more successful fishing and hunting and it sure isn't luck. It's skill. Fisherman know currents and structure, water temperature, depth, sun light, barometric pressure, etc... Hunters understand animal behavior, wind, breeding rituals, etc. It's mostly knowledge and skill with a little sprinkle of luck.

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]The motivational picture.. Prolly not that much but a lot.

It's easily over $100k... Probably close to $200k depending on what he's got and how many of each (hard to see the items in the background).

Jever4321 said:
I take my eye off this thread for 2 hours and BAMM, 8 pages. I didn't sift through all of it so I was wondering if it had been discussed that according to MB09 it's ok for animals to be predators, but not man. Man in fact is the ultimate predator. What's the big deal? Good grief liberals are pussy's.

Like most arguements, he is reaching just for the sake of arguement. This started because I asked Lostleader if he had shot a deer yet, and here we are. Funny thing is, we had this same arguement on the old board a couple years back. He never brought up the wolves back then, this is a new twist. I think his insanity is getting worse.

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Jever4321 said:
I take my eye off this thread for 2 hours and BAMM, 8 pages. I didn't sift through all of it so I was wondering if it had been discussed that according to MB09 it's ok for animals to be predators, but not man. Man in fact is the ultimate predator. What's the big deal? Good grief liberals are pussy's.

Here's a good example, if you feed a shark in an aquarium a ton of fish - it almost certainly will stop killing the fish around it. Once the hunger need is met most animals won't kill for food. Man, by nature, is a scavenger (not a predictor) and only evolved into hunters out of necessity. We have all the food we could ever want awaiting us at the grocery store - there is no reason to kill for it anymore, unless you enjoy killing. And that is my point. Hunters enjoy killing - and there is no and/if's or buts about it.

WHy are you so into this killing thing ? Again, people do hunt for other reasons than to kill something. They have been explained to you over and over and over. What is so hard to understand about that. I don't see what the problem is with someone killing an animal to eat it.

Jever4321 said:
Getting the fish to take the bait IS the skill. Come on man you are sounding more ignorant than usual. There is a reason some people are more successful fishing and hunting and it sure isn't luck. It's skill. Fisherman know currents and structure, water temperature, depth, sun light, barometric pressure, etc... Hunters understand animal behavior, wind, breeding rituals, etc. It's mostly knowledge and skill with a little sprinkle of luck.

That is not always true at all. Let's go fishing at a lake - you can use Rapalas and I'll use some worms - and we'll see who can catch more fish.

As I stated in the very first response to this - if I go to Alaska to hunt, sure I probably want a guide. If I'm in SE Michigan - probably not needed. If I'm going deep sea fishing - I'll probably need a guide that knows the area and where the fish are. If I'm on the huron river - probably not. If you know the basics about fishing (fish like to hide in weed beds, by dead trees and around cover) you can be just as successful as anyone using live bait. It's when you get into using fake lures that you start running into the more skilled aspect of fishing. Sure knowing what lure fits the right occasion is key. But using live bait, like a worm, works in almost any situation. In fact - growing up, we always thought it was cheating because that's what my dad told us lol.

greenandwhite95 said:
Jever4321 said:

Like most arguements, he is reaching just for the sake of arguement. This started because I asked Lostleader if he had shot a deer yet, and here we are. Funny thing is, we had this same arguement on the old board a couple years back. He never brought up the wolves back then, this is a new twist. I think his insanity is getting worse.

Sometimes I'll go a little over board just to go to one extreme, but I truly believe what I say about hunting. For instance, I don't think all American cars suck (shhh don't tell anyone I have an image to uphold). I just say extreme stuff to get the other extreme riled up.

But for hunting, I truly don't get the purpose - and the wolf talk was to point out there are other, more natural, options as opposed to shooting them - and it brings up the point that hunters don't care, really, about the over-population; they simply like to hunt. That was more my point than anything else. The excuse of "it helps the over crowded deer population" to justify the fun in killing is one I don't by.

Back