Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

New Info on Avril

lp4ever41

NFL.com's Albert Breer reports that the Lions and unsigned franchise player Cliff Avril are roughly $2 million-per-year apart in long-term contract talks.
Avril refuses to sign his one-year, $10.605 million franchise tender, so the focus is not on that number. Avril, rather, wants the $10 million-plus per year on an extension, specifically targeting a four-year deal worth over $42 million. His agents want more than half of that amount guaranteed. The Lions appear to be proposing a deal in the $8-9 million range annually. "The Lions have made several offers," writes Breer. "Both nothing's close."

Looks like he wants $10 mil per, Detroit is offering somewhere around $8 mil per. I expect Avril to cave more than Mayhew in the end. Look for something like 4 year, $34 million.

Actually, after reading the actual article, I think Rotoworld worded that poorly. Looks like he wants MORE annually than his franchise tender.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...t-talks-with-lions?module=HP11_content_stream

The Lions and Avril's people aren't near reaching a deal, either. In fact, the sides are separated by around $2 million per year on Avril's worth, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. The player's side is looking for something with a yearly average exceeding the $10.605 million attached to the tender, over four years, which would top $42 million, with more than half of it guaranteed. The Lions have made several offers. But nothing's close.

Actually, after reading the actual article, I think Rotoworld worded that poorly. Looks like he wants MORE annually than his franchise tender.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...t-talks-with-lions?module=HP11_content_stream

The Lions and Avril's people aren't near reaching a deal, either. In fact, the sides are separated by around $2 million per year on Avril's worth, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. The player's side is looking for something with a yearly average exceeding the $10.605 million attached to the tender, over four years, which would top $42 million, with more than half of it guaranteed. The Lions have made several offers. But nothing's close.

lol..Avril will never sniff that from Detroit. I can see only 1 or 2 teams paying him $11 mil per season..and those teams arent in contention for a reason.

lol..Avril will never sniff that from Detroit. I can see only 1 or 2 teams paying him $11 mil per season..and those teams arent in contention for a reason.

Yeah...it's still very early. Avril really has no reason to cave yet. But IMO, as the season approaches, he will.

This is why I have issues with Avril. A Intelligent person would sign a franchise offer of $10 MILLION dollars (guaranteeing his future). he feels he is worth more than he actually is. Let him sit, I don't care. Highly doubt we could trade him for anything above a 3rd round pick with the franchise tag on him anyway.

Dude has to feed his family! The Lions are only offering a measly 10 million? People gon' starve.

Maybe not...

Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports disputes an NFL Network report that the Lions and Cliff Avril are roughly $2 million-per-year apart in long-term contract talks.
According to LaCanfora's sources, the numbers are not only "way off" but the sides are not close and there's been no recent contact. What's clear in the two reports is that one party thinks a deal is a lot closer than the other. Any new deal will likely be modeled on those of Tamba Hali and Calais Campbell at roughly $10 million per season.

2013 FA and draft focus

DE
OL - PLEASE GET A NEW CENTER!!!
RB
DB

DE will be the dominant focus while the other 3 depend greatly on how this year goes. If Leshoure plays above expectations, might not go RB. If the new CBs step up and Spievey (or someone) actually plays well at S, then DBs aren't a need. OL...they might think they are set everywhere, but I'm really hoping the FINALLY get a new C..

2013 could be a FA and draft where we feel very comfortable. Hopefully that means 2012 and beyond will be very fun for us!!!

2013 FA and draft focus

DE
OL - PLEASE GET A NEW CENTER!!!
RB
DB

DE will be the dominant focus while the other 3 depend greatly on how this year goes. If Leshoure plays above expectations, might not go RB. If the new CBs step up and Spievey (or someone) actually plays well at S, then DBs aren't a need. OL...they might think they are set everywhere, but I'm really hoping the FINALLY get a new C..

2013 could be a FA and draft where we feel very comfortable. Hopefully that means 2012 and beyond will be very fun for us!!!

2013 offseason will be a wild one for sure. 2 DEs, 2 DTs, 2 starting LBs, Delmas, Houston all FAs. Hopefully, some of these rookie CBs and LBs show enough to narrow down the # of guys that need to be brought back.

2013 offseason will be a wild one for sure. 2 DEs, 2 DTs, 2 starting LBs, Delmas, Houston all FAs. Hopefully, some of these rookie CBs and LBs show enough to narrow down the # of guys that need to be brought back.

Delmas, Houston, Durant, Avril and Lo Jack(especially considering KVBs age and big contract) need to come back. Delmas I think they would franchise. I worry about Houston the most given the corner market this year for Finnegan and Brandon Carr. If we lose Avril, we'll have alot more to spend on the other guys(10.6 million) plus the 1.5 million(Delmas), 4 million(Houston), 3 million(Durant)and 1 million(Lo Jack) that expire for those guys contracts.

CW(5 million),Sammie Lee Hill(1.2), Levy(1.9) and Gosder(3 million) are going to be interesting to see if we let them go. I'd bring Lee-Hill back out of all those guys and see what the drafted LBs could do instead of Levy. Gosder probably gone with Reiff/Backus 2 year deal. And with Suh/Fairley, CW will be missed but expendable. Plus you have big numbers for KVB and Burleson. I think Burleson is probably gone and KVB is someone I could see taking a pay cut. And then there's the huge cap numbers for Stafford(20+ million) and Suh (18 million)

LeShoure needs to work out at least(Best concussion free would be nice but not expected) to allow DE,CB,interior Oline to be the focus in the draft.

Last edited:
Delmas, Houston, Durant, Avril and Lo Jack(especially considering KVBs age and big contract) need to come back. Delmas I think they would franchise. I worry about Houston the most given the corner market this year for Finnegan and Brandon Carr. If we lose Avril, we'll have alot more to spend on the other guys(10.6 million) plus the 1.5 million(Delmas), 4 million(Houston), 3 million(Durant)and 1 million(Lo Jack) that expire for those guys contracts.

CW(5 million),Sammie Lee Hill(1.2), Levy(1.9) and Gosder(3 million) are going to be interesting to see if we let them go. I'd bring Lee-Hill back out of all those guys and see what the drafted LBs could do instead of Levy. Gosder probably gone with Reiff/Backus 2 year deal. And with Suh/Fairley, CW will be missed but expendable. Plus you have big numbers for KVB and Burleson. I think Burleson is probably gone and KVB is someone I could see taking a pay cut. And then there's the huge cap numbers for Stafford(20+ million) and Suh (18 million)

LeShoure needs to work out at least(Best concussion free would be nice but not expected) to allow DE,CB,interior Oline to be the focus in the draft.

Houston probably won't get a deal for more than what he got last year...I don't think he did much last year to up his stock...he was solid, just like the year before. But IDK I didn't think Wright would get much either...

At most, only one of the two LBs will be back. CW might come back on the cheap. Gosder is gone. SLH will be back. KVB and Burleson will be interesting, but I honestly think the FO will keep them. We all thought CW would get cut this year due to that $5 million salary, but we were wrong there.

But yeah, in summary, lots of factors to consider when looking at 2013.

Houston 2 million then 4 million this year. He'll get more than that for sure on his next deal especially with Carr/Finnegan getting 5 year 50 million dollar deals plus Wrights deal.

Agreed only one of Durant/Levy back. Depends if they want more run game(Durant) or coverage(Levy). Big year for both of them to prove things.

CW cheap would be nice but I think he is good enough another team will offer more.

Things change though, we got a whole fun season of all these guys together first to see what they can do.

Last edited:
Houston 2 million then 4 million this year. He'll get more than that for sure on his next deal especially with Carr/Finnegan getting 5 year 50 million dollar deals plus Wrights deal.

Agreed only one of Durant/Levy back. Depends if they want more run game(Durant) or coverage(Levy). Big year for both of them to prove things.

CW cheap would be nice but I think he is good enough another team will offer more.

Things change though, we got a whole fun season of all these guys together first to see what they can do.

Why on Houston? Joseph last year got the same deal as Carr/Finnegan, plenty of other corners got paid, and Houston still only got a 2-year, $6 million deal. This year's offseason wasn't much different for corners. Nnamdi and Joseph got paid last year. Seems like the market is the same as it was last year.

One thing is for sure: he needs to stay healthy to get paid.

Joseph was more of a proven player. The lockout hurt solid but still unproven players. One solid year in 2010 wasn't enough for Houston to get paid right after the lockout. Right now he has two solid years in a row and we'll see what he does this year. Very true he must stay healthy. We missed him big time in the last quarter of the season even with him playing hurt against Oakland,San Diego and Green Bay and him hurting his shoulder in the playoff game really hurt. Berry and Houston shoulder problems need to stop.

Last edited:
Houston is an slightly above average #2 corner and will get paid as such (5-6mill per). I would love to keep em but this front office has acted like they want to build the back seven through patch work veterans and the draft.

Back