Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NFC Playoff Picture - 12/26/2011

grandy

It's about that time where we start to see the playoff seedings form. I'll keep this thread up to date every week for a quick look at who's where and whatever tiebreakers there might be.

Position guarantees
1st seed - 1st round bye and home field throughout the playoffs (not including the superbowl)
2nd seed - 1st round bye and home field in the 2nd round
3rd and 4th seeds - Home field in the 1st round
5th and 6th seeds - Playoff spot

As of 12/26/2011

Current Seeding

(D = Division Record, C = Conference Record)
* - Clinched Division +-Clinched Playoff Berth #-Clinched Home Field

Division Winners
1. Green Bay 14-1 (C: 11-0, D: 5-0)#
2. San Francisco 12-3 (C: 9-2, D: 4-1)*
3. New Orleans 12-3 (C: 8-3, D: 4-1)*
4. NY Giants 8-7 (C: 4-7, D: 2-3)

Wild Cards
5. Detroit 10-5 (C: 6-5, D: 3-2)+
6. Atlanta 9-6 (C: 6-5, D: 2-3)+

Fringe
7. Dallas 8-7 (C: 6-5, D: 2-3) - Can only get in by winning the NFC East

Rest are out of the playoffs

Current Match-ups
5 Detroit @ 4 NY Giants
6 Atlanta @ 3 New Orleans

Playoff Scenarios

Green Bay
1-0 or 0-1: 1st seed

San Francisco
1-0: 2nd seed

0-1: 2nd seed if NO loses
3rd seed if NO wins

New Orleans
1-0: 2nd seed if SF loses
3rd seed if SF wins

0-1: 3rd seed

Dallas
1-0: 4th seed

0-1: Out of the playoffs

Atlanta
1-0: 5th seed if Detroit loses
6th seed if Detroit wins

0-1: 6th seed

Detroit
1-0: 5th seed

0-1: 5th seed if Atlanta loses
6th seed if Atlanta wins

NY Giants

1-0: 4th seed

0-1: Out of the playoffs

Remaining Schedules

Green Bay
Detroit

San Francisco
@St. Louis

New Orleans
Carolina

Dallas
@NY Giants

Detroit
@GB

Atlanta
TB

NY Giants
Dallas

More on tiebreakers - http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Chicago still has a pretty easy schedule left so hopefully the Cutler loss has a big impact and they crumble. That loss to Atlanta really looks like it MAY cost us a playoff spot.

manchild98 said:
Chicago still has a pretty easy schedule left so hopefully the Cutler loss has a big impact and they crumble. That loss to Atlanta really looks like it MAY cost us a playoff spot.

Dallas being in the mix helps us though, if the Gmen can claim that East spot we hold the tiebreaker over Dallas. The Gmen taking first and the Bears fading with the loss of Cutler would help us tremendously when it comes to a playoff spot.

Wow, talk about a brutal schedule this year. We played (or will play) all the teams on that list down to the Falcons. GB and Chi twice.

Thanks Grandy. Simple really, just 4 teams fighting for the WC spots.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Thanks Grandy. Simple really, just 4 teams fighting for the WC spots.

I wouldn't count out the 4-6 teams yet but it's pretty much looking like a 4 team race.

They'd have to win out to get 10. I don't see one team that could pull that out.

just a thought Grandy....add the conference records......and keep this running every week...good job

tsmith7559 said:
just a thought Grandy....add the conference records......and keep this running every week...good job

Added, along with divisional records.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]They'd have to win out to get 10. I don't see one team that could pull that out.

Philly is the only one with the tools to do it... I have seen Vince Young do some amazing things.

win 10....maybe we get in...Atlanta has that tie breaker over us.

win 11 in for sure.

it's all ya gots to know pipes.

upnorth said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]They'd have to win out to get 10. I don't see one team that could pull that out.

Philly is the only one with the tools to do it... I have seen Vince Young do some amazing things.

Like those 3 INT last night. Just amazing.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
upnorth said:

Like those 3 INT last night. Just amazing.

Who won the game? Exactly.

Vince Young has a long history of clutch performances, you can start with his 2 Rose Bowl MVPs. And rip on Tebow if you want, he's winning too. I think VY is better at the helm than Vick with the situation being what it is-- as Tebow is better at the helm than Orton.

Game-winning drives are nice and all but with some of these QBs, had they played better early on there wouldn't be any need for a game-winning drive.

upnorth said:
Vince Young has a long history of clutch performances, you can start with his 2 Rose Bowl MVPs. And rip on Tebow if you want, he's winning too. I think VY is better at the helm than Vick with the situation being what it is-- as Tebow is better at the helm than Orton.

All in college brother. I had some clutch performances in tee ball when i was 8. Doesn't mean nothing.

wow if SF beats the ravens this week, they could win out.

Back