Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Official 2019 Draft

Trade up and get Jordan or Oruwariye and call it a draft. Fuck you Quin...

I don't hate any of these picks. I am intrigued by them all, and of course it wasn't what I expected.

I remember reading an article a few years ago that talked about Belichick, and how he only has 75 guys on his board. That's it... 75. If none of those guys are left, he deals his picks. But he isolates the 75 guys he believes can play in his system the best, and those are his targets.

Quin learned from The Hoodie. And one thing has been consistent in his drafts, he's going to take the players he wants for his team, no matter what the media thinks.

He did it a year ago with both Walker and Hand, and he's doing it again now.

I'd rather have a GM who trusts in his scouting than one who says "Oh gee... I dunno.. Mel Kiper thinks this guy is a 5th rounder...."

I'll watch Endgame from my movie site when it gets there in a couple weeks. I hope its better than the last one I didn't like it at all.

Out of respect for everyone, I won't comment, except to say you won't be disappointed.

One thing I truly respect and love out of Bob Quinn, he's not an excuses guy. He signs guys he believes in. he drafts guys he wants to draft, and if it all fails, he's got no one to blame but himself. He's building his team his way, and I see a lot of Patriots influence to it.

He might end up outsmarting himself here and there, but he's not going to be handcuffed by anyone or any unspoken rules.

He's got the balls to make his picks, and fuck what anyone else thinks. The results will be on the field, for better or worse, and I think it's too early to tell which way it will go.

I don't hate any of these picks. I am intrigued by them all, and of course it wasn't what I expected.

I remember reading an article a few years ago that talked about Belichick, and how he only has 75 guys on his board. That's it... 75. If none of those guys are left, he deals his picks. But he isolates the 75 guys he believes can play in his system the best, and those are his targets.

Quin learned from The Hoodie. And one thing has been consistent in his drafts, he's going to take the players he wants for his team, no matter what the media thinks.

He did it a year ago with both Walker and Hand, and he's doing it again now.

I'd rather have a GM who trusts in his scouting than one who says "Oh gee... I dunno.. Mel Kiper thinks this guy is a 5th rounder...."

That's great but 9 9 and 6 and still no playoff wins. The league that is suppose to make a rebuild short. I can't get over that.

That's great but 9 9 and 6 and still no playoff wins. The league that is suppose to make a rebuild short. I can't get over that.

In my opinion, and again I am no GM, you can "rebuild" in a couple of ways. You can focus on getting more wins, or you can build a championship team.

We've see years of Mayhew building for a few more wins. The way Suh's contract was handled showed he had no concerns for the long-term, future of the team, and just wanted the wins now to keep his job.

Building a champion is a different path. You don't win championships with big names, you win them with a deep roster, versatility, and it takes longer to build.

I don't think Quinn is building for this year, I think it's building for the finish line.

In my opinion, and again I am no GM, you can "rebuild" in a couple of ways. You can focus on getting more wins, or you can build a championship team.

We've see years of Mayhew building for a few more wins. The way Suh's contract was handled showed he had no concerns for the long-term, future of the team, and just wanted the wins now to keep his job.

Building a champion is a different path. You don't win championships with big names, you win them with a deep roster, versatility, and it takes longer to build.

I don't think Quinn is building for this year, I think it's building for the finish line.
Coaches and GM generally don't last until the finish like. And with the good talent some leave before that finish line therefore I believe you need to build for the now. And then hope it goes longer. And as fan we've waiting for the finish line forever.

Last edited:
One thing I truly respect and love out of Bob Quinn, he's not an excuses guy. He signs guys he believes in. he drafts guys he wants to draft, and if it all fails, he's got no one to blame but himself. He's building his team his way, and I see a lot of Patriots influence to it.

He might end up outsmarting himself here and there, but he's not going to be handcuffed by anyone or any unspoken rules.

He's got the balls to make his picks, and fuck what anyone else thinks. The results will be on the field, for better or worse, and I think it's too early to tell which way it will go.

im just trying to look at what you got and figure out how hes going to improve on it. When youre sitting there with:

Hand Snacks Flowers
Kennard Jones Davis Okwara
Slay Walker Diggs Melvin

what did you upgrade this draft? You got a guy from Hawaii that might play over Jones? And Bryant might back up Okwara. Thats it...

We got a TE....Stafford already proved with 4 years of Ebron that he doesnt use his TEs. And a back up safety.

So i get getting "your guys"...but at some point you need guys that will play. Still need a guard, could have used a starting calibur corner, and you heard it here first....our pass rush from the dline will continue to be one of the worst in the nfl.

I love that commentary on ESPN about Bill Belichick only having 75 players on his draft board. All must fit their system perfectly. In any round, if the value isn't there, trade the pick for a team's pick next year in the same round plus a little juice (5, 6, or 7th round). Amassing picks has got to start somewhere. We could have done it this year in the 2nd round and maybe the 3rd. This is why the Patriots seem to have 25 picks each year and plenty of ammo to move up at will.

I just don't have any concerns with Quinn. I have a lot with Patricia. Season one he was clearly overwhelmed as a coach and didn't exactly rise to the new challenges. Let's see if he settles in and finds his groove.

im just trying to look at what you got and figure out how hes going to improve on it. When youre sitting there with:

Hand Snacks Flowers
Kennard Jones Davis Okwara
Slay Walker Diggs Melvin

what did you upgrade this draft? You got a guy from Hawaii that might play over Jones? And Bryant might back up Okwara. Thats it...

We got a TE....Stafford already proved with 4 years of Ebron that he doesnt use his TEs. And a back up safety.

So i get getting "your guys"...but at some point you need guys that will play. Still need a guard, could have used a starting calibur corner, and you heard it here first....our pass rush from the dline will continue to be one of the worst in the nfl.

You're still looking at the draft as the whole puzzle, and it's a piece of the puzzle. June cap cuts coming, we made a few trades last year... this is one piece.

And again, you're only building for "who plays now" if you're concern is this seasons win total. If you're looking at "we think we can win the whole thing in three years" you're worried about how these guys develop and who they are learning from.

Getting to that next level, you have to think beyond what you need and what you can upgrade this season, and get those guys that fir your scheme for years to come, and will gel into one team a couple of years down the road... and most importantly... have a pipeline of those players so free agency doesn't destroy you every few years.

I like the way he's building.

And I'll say 1 more thing about this.. 9 wins after 7 wins is an improvement not 6 wins after 9 wins.

I really believe that when you are upgrading right now and plugging holes, you're mindset is "this guy will work" instead of "give this guy a year or two to develop and he will be a star for us".

And what you get out of that is a whole team of adequate guys. I think thats been the root of our failures for decades as is, and Quinn was brought in to bring the "Patriot Way" with him... the hallmark of that way is that there's always the next man up, and a roster that can handle any injury, and player leaving in free agency, any retirement.

Two decades of winning says a lot, and none of it was built playing the short game.

I really believe that when you are upgrading right now and plugging holes, you're mindset is "this guy will work" instead of "give this guy a year or two to develop and he will be a star for us".

And what you get out of that is a whole team of adequate guys. I think thats been the root of our failures for decades as is, and Quinn was brought in to bring the "Patriot Way" with him... the hallmark of that way is that there's always the next man up, and a roster that can handle any injury, and player leaving in free agency, any retirement.

Two decades of winning says a lot, and none of it was built playing the short game.

Well they drafted Brady and won right away. And haven't stopped. They were 5-11 the year they drafted TB, 0-2 the following year all with Bledsoe before the switch. They basically won right away. Short term as it gets.

Last edited:
Well they drafted Brady and won right away. And haven't stopped. They were 5-11 the year they drafted TB, 0-2 all with Bledsoe before the switch. They basically won right away.Short term as it gets.

The NFL is littered with great QBs who never won the big one, and it doesn't have a huge history of 6th round QBs who went to the hall of fame.

And let's not forget, when they took Brady off the board at 199, the Kipers of the world laughed at them too. This is a guy who never saw the field except for garbage time, he wasn't the starter at his school.

Belichick drafted the guys he believed in, no matter what the media said about it. And a lot of those guys were nobody's too.

Brady was never drafted to replace Bledsoe year one. An injury caused that. He was a long play that worked out extremely well.

Back