Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Official 2019 Draft

https://sidelionreport.com/2019/05/01/detroit-lions-risky-draft-doom-bob-quinn/
Detroit Lions: Risky draft picks could spell doom for Bob Quinn.
Carlos Monarez wannabe at MCBTB

I can't help but laugh at this article. It states "There are questions about whether or not Jahlani Tavai will even start this year"..... questions by who? Has Matt Patricia asked that question? That would be concerning if the head coach doesn't know the plan. Or how about Bob Quinn? Rod Wood?

Has Martha Firestone Ford asked?

Obviously, no one has really asked... except beat writers. Guys in a newsroom are saying "Man, I don't know if this kid can even start this year"... and if course they don't know, they didn't even know his name when it was called on draft day.

It states "every pick after that was underwhelming"... really? Because we're getting some high praise for the guys we took later in the draft. Austin Bryant, Amani Orucan'tfuckingspellhisname... people are saying we stole some very talented players late... but they were underwhelming.

Just so everyone is aware, I work in a newspaper company, and the one thing we all laugh it is sports writers. These guys never go to journalism school, and their only qualification is that they know something about sports.

Hell, we had a sports editor at our flagship paper who was hired at 20 years old... after he washed out of the basketball program at a community college. He was hired because he played some college sports, so he "knew sports"... and didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

He's now a publisher at one of our papers... because like most companies, in the newspaper business you fail upwards.

oi0uht6wglv21.png

I would still say projections don't matter... but sooner or later these experts have to figure out which narrative they want to push.

I would still say projections don't matter... but sooner or later these experts have to figure out which narrative they want to push.

Projections are typically based on talent/skill...and in the case of Tavaii he played at Hawaii so the fact he didnt play much vs quality competition does matter. Now on the other hand he SPECIFICALLY fits a few teams' schematically. Quin has called out reasons why hes a good fit for us and its been rumored a couple other teams that thought he was a great scheme fit as well. So when you have a guy like that then you may see a GM "reach".

Josh Allen was "projected" to go earlier than Ferrill....the raiders obviously felt Ferrill was a better scheme fit. So both can be true i guess is what im trying to say. Thats why draft grades are kinda funny to me. Who gives a shit if some dude grades Tavaii as a "D" grade pick if he goes out, starts 16 games and leads the team in tackles next year. Consensus would say we reached for Tavaii and got great value in Oruwariye.

Tavai is a reach. Who cares. Just be a good LB

Aaron Curry was a sure thing LB. Look how that turned out

Tavai is a reach. Who cares. Just be a good LB

Aaron Curry was a sure thing LB. Look how that turned out

Exactly this. It wasn't as bad of a reach as everyone is saying, as I've seen projections of him going in the 3rd round and with one scout tweeting on april 9th, weeks before the draft, that teams were HOPING Tavai would fall to them in the 3rd round. Well he didn't and we got a player that fits our scheme to a T. I heard there were only 4 LB's who were 250+ in this years draft, and we draft 1 in the 2nd, Tavai, and signed one, Lamar, as an UDFA. We got 2 out of the 4 guys that fit our scheme well. I'll take it. From what I see on the roster now, we have the makings of a very nice 3-4 D or 3-3-5 like they like to run...

Amani Oruwariye named one of PFF?s biggest steal of the draft.
PFF thinks the Lions got great value with their 5th-round pick.

While fans continue to debate whether the Detroit Lions truly got the full value out of their first two picks in the 2019 NFL Draft, one pick that certainly seems to have gotten the Lions some bang for their buck was their fifth-round selection of Penn State cornerback Amani Oruwariye.

Pro Football Focus listed that pick as one of the biggest steals in this year?s draft.

?Oruwariye has some of the smoothest hips of any corner in the entire draft class, which is all the more impressive considering he?s also one of the largest corners in this year?s crop of corners at 6-1 5/8? and 205 pounds,? PFF?s Michael Renner wrote. ?At the Senior Bowl, he had the highest win rate of any corner in attendance.?

Many media draft boards had Oruwariye going on Day 2, and even general manager Bob Quinn admitted the Penn State corner was in play for their fourth-round pick. Obviously, there are concerns as to why Oruwariye fell that far, but time will tell if the Lions got a steal here.

POD

https://www.detroitlionspodcast.com/christopher/2019/05/01/detroit-lions-podcast-draft-reflections/
Detroit Lions Podcast Episode 207 ? Lions Draft Reflections. 87 minutes.

In this episode of The Detroit Lions Podcast, Chris and Case and Jeff Risdon bring you the first takes on the Lions performance during the draft. A few different opinions, and a look at how the Lions fared against their peers in the division.

Detroit Lions Podcast Draft Reflections.
The show this week is commercial free ? no breaks for sponsors, just straight Lions football content from the starting gun. Please use the links at the bottom of this page to help support the show in the meantime!

Starting out we break down the T.J. Hockenson pick and weigh the positives and negatives of the pick. We also discuss some of the common fan and Twitter reactions. The Detroit Lions Podcast is satisfied with the pick and with a quick listen we bet you?ll agree.

The Lions second round pick stunned many people, and was considered a reach by many others. There are some reports that Jahlani Tavai was at the top of the board for a pair of other teams and the Lions felt it was time to move on him. Worry not, we?ll help you understand how to feel about this pick.

Round 3 was an absolute head-scratcher for all but a very few folks. We take a look at this pick and discuss why it may be a defining pick for the Bob Quinn regime.

Draft Wrap And A Fifth Round Gem.
We?ll go through the rest of the picks in this episode of the Detroit Lions Podcast and a couple of Undrafted Free Agents to help put the cherry on top. A real highlight of a pick happened in the 5th round when the Lions picked up cornerback Amani Oruwariye at #146 overall. This one garnered a lot of discussion and for us it was no different.

Lastly, we aren?t real big on draft grades. With that in mind, we compare the offseason work of the Lions against their division rivals. We also determine which teams got better and where. As always, the Detroit Lions Podcast has you covered for the draft this year and we have a whole lot more to come.

Let us know what you think about the show by commenting in the podcast thread in the subreddit, or by leaving us a voice mail message via Skype at: Detroit Lions Podcast Your input will help make the show better, and if you leave us a message on Skype, you just might be featured in an upcoming Detroit Lions Podcast! You can also give us a call at (929) 33-Lions.

Back