Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Official Free Agency Signings

Yep exactly. The dead money is already money in the players pocket. Now Bush didn't get big un guranteed base salary in 2015-2016 but not many players got all the un-guaranteed money. It's just how the NFL work.

The NFL is all about getting paid big once really. Suh did this in 2010.

The 9.7 dead for Suh is already in his pocket. Same with Chris Houston.

The agreement was play for the lions for 5 years and they will give him 65 million. 13 million a year for him is/was a fair amount. He played very well for those five years.

Dead money is because the Lions wanted to spend more money in 2013 on other players so they put it out to a year that never really was a real part of the contract.

Suh fulfilled his part of the contract, he played for Detroit hard for 5 years. His prior contract should make no difference on his next one.

The agreement was play for the lions for 5 years and they will give him 65 million. 13 million a year for him is/was a fair amount. He played very well for those five years.

Dead money is because the Lions wanted to spend more money in 2013 on other players so they put it out to a year that never really was a real part of the contract.

Suh fulfilled his part of the contract, he played for Detroit hard for 5 years. His prior contract should make no difference on his next one.

His financial security should play a factor in his ability and desire to give a discount in order to win. Suh earned his contract but due to circumstances he was allowed to have a big contract while other teams had the luxury of paying their good rookies pennies. It wasn't a level playing field for the Lions.

Lions can give Suh 120 million over 6 years. It's now about whether they want to overpay or not. Some teams just don't overpay (Packers,Pats).

I'll call it the Detroit is a shithole city tax if they do overpay.

His financial security should play a factor in his ability and desire to give a discount in order to win. Suh earned his contract but due to circumstances he was allowed to have a big contract while other teams had the luxury of paying their good rookies pennies. It wasn't a level playing field for the Lions.

Lions can give Suh 120 million over 6 years. It's now about whether they want to overpay or not. Some teams just don't overpay (Packers,Pats).

I'll call it the Detroit is a shithole city tax if they do overpay.

Because Green Bay is such a desirable location? Come on.

It's pretty simple, good coaching and elite QBs allow you to have the luxury of not needing to bring in and pay elite players at other positions.

There was no penalty to Detroit. Every team played by the same rules every year of the draft. It's just the Lions were the most shitty team when contracts were the highest. It's what allowed them to get Suh to begin with.

Because Green Bay is such a desirable location? Come on.

It's pretty simple, good coaching and elite QBs allow you to have the luxury of not needing to bring in and pay elite players at other positions.

There was no penalty to Detroit. Every team played by the same rules every year of the draft. It's just the Lions were the most shitty team when contracts were the highest. It's what allowed them to get Suh to begin with.

Players leave GB all the time. Jennings, Jones, EDS, Colledge, , Cullen Jenkins when their defense was good in 2010, maybe Cobb now it's looking like.

GB people walk. They don't overpay.

There was clearly a penalty against Detroit. Not every team had massive contracts for their best rookie deals. Mayhew made the most of the cards he was dealt.

Suh has a good situation team wise in Detroit (coaches, talent around him) plus familiarity.

We'll see where he ends up. Jax/Oak or Philly/Indy

Players leave GB all the time. Jennings, Jones, EDS, Colledge, , Cullen Jenkins when their defense was good in 2010, maybe Cobb now it's looking like.

GB people walk. They don't overpay.

There was clearly a penalty against Detroit. Not every team had massive contracts for their best rookie deals. Mayhew made the most of the cards he was dealt.

Suh has a good situation team wise in Detroit (coaches, talent around him) plus familiarity.

We'll see where he ends up. Jax/Oak or Philly/Indy

I'm saying you can let good players leave when you have good coaching and/or elite QB play. You don't need to overpay because those two can elevate and makeup for talent loss.

Anyone who picked top 5 had the same cards dealt, not like Detroit had to pay more than anyone else that would of had the #2 pick. You can control how high you pick by playing well. League didn't unfairly punish lions.

He said "My agent will decide where I play next season, not me.".

How much more does he need to say on top of that?

I've been married twice. Loved my ex-wife. Still do really. You can't be with someone for 13 years and not love them. So frigging happy the bitch is gone. Wouldn't bring her back for anything.

You never loved something, yet knew it was a bad deal for you? If not, you've lived a truly blessed life the rest of us will never comprehend.

Angie. That chick was hot and kind of a slut but man, she was hot. So I've been there..

I'm saying you can let good players leave when you have good coaching and/or elite QB play. You don't need to overpay because those two can elevate and makeup for talent loss.

Anyone who picked top 5 had the same cards dealt, not like Detroit had to pay more than anyone else that would of had the #2 pick. You can control how high you pick by playing well. League didn't unfairly punish lions.

We have good coaching and QB play. We can let players walk and cut players who cost too much.

We have good coaching and QB play. We can let players walk and cut players who cost too much.

75% of the league has at least good play out of those two (coaching/QB), You need elite to mask deficiencies in other areas. If elite player Suh does leave, we will see how good the LBers and ziggy really are.

75% of the league has at least good play out of those two (coaching/QB), You need elite to mask deficiencies in other areas. If elite player Suh does leave, we will see how good the LBers and ziggy really are.

They are pretty good players still. Plus we'll probably add 1-2 good DTs. I think Fairley can be just as good as Suh, except he'll probably misss 3-4 games a season.

Keeping Suh was the easy way to a top 5 defense, it wasn't the only way.

Plus I think our offense can be top 5 in year 2 with Oline improvement.

Keeping Suh was the easy way to a top 5 defense, it wasn't the only way.

Plus I think our offense can be top 5 in year 2 with Oline improvement.

Wow... this I agree with. LKP makes complete sense.

It was the easy way... not the only way. The man actually said something I respect.

Wow... this I agree with. LKP makes complete sense.

It was the easy way... not the only way. The man actually said something I respect.

Everything I say is perfect. Pay attention more.

Weapons galore and we can easily improve the Oline with just a guard in day 2 and health. Plus year 2 in system.

injuries happen...every team has them and the Lions are no exception. Next year...they will have significant players miss time just like every other team in the league.

Weapons galore...I don't see it. 2 good WRs and that is it.

OL needs to be better...not sure a rookie guard is going to change the entire o line play.

Stafford needs to be better.

injuries happen...every team has them and the Lions are no exception. Next year...they will have significant players miss time just like every other team in the league.

Weapons galore...I don't see it. 2 good WRs and that is it.

OL needs to be better...not sure a rookie guard is going to change the entire o line play.

Stafford needs to be better.

You do realize the Lions have had years where nobody on the Oline got hurt. And most certainly years when only one guy got hurt, not 3-4 like 2014 (Wadddle, Warford, Hillliard and Reiff). And even 2013 when Waddle did get hurt, we played well with Hilliard. And now we have Lucas in year 2. Health can improve things alot. They can get back to 2013 form. Even if they just got Sims back and rolled with Swanson at center.

Ebron can be a weapon in year 2. You'll see. Bell is a weapon. Riddick can be. May add one more for 3rd WR. Fuller develops more or something out of Jones. Just no Ross in the slot please.

Stafford will be better in year 2. He was good last year.

And also for Stafford improvement

better protection could lead to life being easier for Stafford which leads to improvement without him actually playing better (just having more time to throw and make easy throws).

If not protection, then through the run game.

If not the run game, then through better 3rd weapon produciton/separation.

If not separation then by less drops.

Lots of ways for Stafford to improve without actually playing better.

You do realize the Lions have had years where nobody on the Oline got hurt. And most certainly years when only one guy got hurt, not 3-4 like 2014 (Wadddle, Warford, Hillliard and Reiff). And even 2013 when Waddle did get hurt, we played well with Hilliard. And now we have Lucas in year 2. Health can improve things alot. They can get back to 2013 form. Even if they just got Sims back and rolled with Swanson at center.

Ebron can be a weapon in year 2. You'll see. Bell is a weapon. Riddick can be. May add one more for 3rd WR. Fuller develops more or something out of Jones. Just no Ross in the slot please.

Stafford will be better in year 2. He was good last year.

sure...there are years when nobody on a specific unit gets hurt...but those are not the norm.

Ebron showed nothing that makes me think he can be a "weapon" but maybe something will change there.

Bell...he is a dime a dozen RB. Absolutely nothing special about him.

Stafford was not good last year. Compared to other starting QBs in the league...he was bottom 1/2 of the league in most categories.

sure...there are years when nobody on a specific unit gets hurt...but those are not the norm.

Ebron showed nothing that makes me think he can be a "weapon" but maybe something will change there.

Bell...he is a dime a dozen RB. Absolutely nothing special about him.

Stafford was not good last year. Compared to other starting QBs in the league...he was bottom 1/2 of the league in most categories.

Stafford was good. He just had more to deal with against him. Run game, protection, 3rd WR issues, drops, rookie TE, new system. Stafford still good. 11-5. He was our offense when it did well.

Bell is a good back. Gets good YPC, can be a receiver and block. He has talent clearly.

Ebron showed some flashes. Has some speed. Got us some first downs. He'll grow in year 2. Maybe the next Slay type growth. We will see.

There are several years Oline stayed very healthy. 2011, 2012, 2013 was just right tackle injuries (Fox/Hilliard/Waddle). 3 years out of 4 we haven't had multiple positions affected. Warford, Reiff seem durable. We'll see on the new guard and Swason. Waddle is injury prone but Lucas year 2 could help or Hilliard back or a new backup RT.

until he said they will be top 5 offense next year.

Can't say I disagree with that either.

"Can" they? I think they can. "Will" they? Don't think they will.

But lord knows that offense is loaded with talent and high picks.

Back