Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OHIO STATE GETS BOWL BAN

MAIZEandBLUE09

Cbus dispatch is reporting

1-year bowl ban, 9 schollies, extra probation, JT Show Cause

MAIZEandBLUE09 said:
Cbus dispatch is reporting

1-year bowl ban, 9 schollies, extra probation, JT Show Cause

I assume the bowl ban would be for next season. I always thought Ohio* should have self imposed a bowl ban this year, especially after they went 6-6. NCAA probably would have said that was good enough and not pushed another ban for 2011-2012 bowl season.

The bowl ban will take place in the 2012 season, which means the Buckeyes will play in the Gator Bowl on Jan. 2 as planned.

The school had chosen to not self-impose a bowl ban this year while believing that case precedent would prevent a bowl ban in the future. According to conference rules, the bowl ban will also keep the Buckeyes from playing in the Big Ten Championship game in 2012.

Honestly, I'm shocked they got a postseason ban. I figured they'd get extra "double secret probation" or whatever added to that they self-imposed, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the ruling.

b311j said:
The bowl ban will take place in the 2012 season, which means the Buckeyes will play in the Gator Bowl on Jan. 2 as planned.

The school had chosen to not self-impose a bowl ban this year while believing that case precedent would prevent a bowl ban in the future. According to conference rules, the bowl ban will also keep the Buckeyes from playing in the Big Ten Championship game in 2012.

mentioned that too

The Committee on Infractions also penalized former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel for his unethical conduct violations while running the OSU program. He was given a show-cause penalty, which would cause any school that hires Tressel in the future to deal with NCAA issues that would follow him as a result of his actions with the Buckeyes. The result of the penalty is that coaches are typically viewed as almost unhireable.

b311j said:
The Committee on Infractions also penalized former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel for his unethical conduct violations while running the OSU program. He was given a show-cause penalty, which would cause any school that hires Tressel in the future to deal with NCAA issues that would follow him as a result of his actions with the Buckeyes. The result of the penalty is that coaches are typically viewed as almost unhireable.

tressel probably made enough to retire now anyways
plus he has his nfl gig now :)

O$U is too much a $$$$$ maker for the NCAA for it to really drop the hammer.

michlady77 said:
b311j said:

tressel probably made enough to retire now anyways
plus he has his nfl gig now :)

I'm sure you are right MLady. But it all adds to the legend that is Ohio*. And today that makes me laugh.

how does the scholarship thing work though? is it 9 scholarships (4 years each) spread out over the next three years? thats the way im interpreting it. just wondering if thats right!

Adds up to 17 schollies altogether, at least the way I was taught math.

4 per year imposed by the NCAA for three years; pretty sure that's 12, not 9, plus the 5 Ohio* imposed on itself.

The Dispatch also reported that Ohio State will lose four additional scholarships per year for the next three years. That's on top of the loss of five scholarships the school self-imposed. The NCAA also added a year of probation, meaning Ohio State will be subject to stiffer penalties for any repeated violations through the 2013 season.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor....an-sourc es-say

Back