Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OHIO STATE GETS BOWL BAN

I've been waiting to see Bob's head explode when this day came. I like you when were talking Tigers but this has been going on for a long time

I think this is a decent punishment. I mean it gives UM a chance to at worst get an at large bid again and it also will help with some recruits that aren't really sure where to go this year.

BTW all those guys you keep saying are cheaters have paid the price for their violations. Clarett was kicked off the team, Smith had a bowl game ban and 1 game the following season, Pryor was suspended for 5 games but left, and Tressel gets the worst not being able to coach for at least 5 years in college.

All this BS is like me saying I think that all the guys that took the extra practice time for UM should have been suspended because they broke the rules.

DR said:
[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]

Stop being blind... Emmertt worked and was hired by Gee when they were in Colorado.. a one year bowl ban and only 9 loss of scholarships is a small price to pay for what that rat Tre$4ell did.. Let me be clear you can go all the way back to his YSU day's but that clown was a cheater.. From players like Clarett to Smith to Pryor and many more O$U could not beat Michigan for 13 years (10-2-1). They found a coach who knew how to hide and cover things up and with the help of that Cesspool administration in Columbus they got away with it for years.. Win at all cost and that is what O$U did cheating at every corner.

Let me see.
The rat Tre$$ell gets FIVE YEARS!!!
Terrell Pryor gets 3-5 years...

O$U losses 9 scholarships over three years and a bowl ban.

Look above. Something is rotten at the NCAA and it is a guy called Mark Emmertt. Santa claus came early to that Cesspool in columbus.

Bob, what did you think they should be hit with, and what prior examples are you using for your reasoning?

A one year bowl ban is nothing.. Two would be something... One is nothing... For what Tre$$el and the O$U administration did over the last year in this cover up they should get at least what U$C got in scholarship reduction which was 30 over three years.. I would have been happy with 20-30 but to only get 9 scholarships over three years is pretty funny. Lets be clear the U$C penalty was over one player reggie Bush. Pete Carroll was cleared. O$U's infractions envolved multiple players and a coach and administration that cover it up so the said players could play. But this is northing new at thee Ohio $tate Univer$ity. That rat Tre$$el and the O$U administration has been cover up player infractions since that rat appeared on campus. See Clarrett, and Smith for staters.. They only thing different U$C did over O$U was not work with the NCAA..
9 scholarships compared to 30 at U$C is a joke. Mark Emmertt was going to help Gordon Gee and O$U as best he could. Without the new infractions that came to light while waiting for this decision O$U never would have even gotten a Bowl ban... These penalties are a joke..

Yes, the coverup by Tressel and Co was much worse than anything Carroll did, and that's why he's effectively done in the NCAA, but what was going on at USC in terms of agents and money was a totally different ballgame from the tats and small change that Ohio* is being punished for. If Ohio* was being charged for everything you think they've done....sure, they could reach the USC penalties. But that's not the case, and we've known that for months, so to get bent out of shape now when this was pretty much the maximum penalty they were going to get is pointless. Also, if we're going to be clear, it wasn't just Bush at USC, OJ Mayo was included as well.

And for the love of God, please no more posts about Mark Emmertt.

Bob was bitching that the LA Angels (of Anaheim) didn't start Tori Hunter and Bobby Abreu against Texas in a meaningless game for the Angels on the last day of the MLB season this year because of the possibility that it hypothetically might have had an adverse effect on the Detroit Tigers in the post season.

So what do you expect after today, DR?

While I agree with Bob 100% that what ohio did was MUCH worse than Reggie Bush's transgressions, yeah, when you consider that USC was already in trouble for OJ Mayo, I guess the punishment makes sense.

ALTHOUGH... Ohio basketball has also been slapped on the wrist recently.

It wasn't just WHAT Tressel and the Tat 5 did that was a problem, but the cover up, and the lack of candor from ohio right up until the Bowl Ban was handed down today that is shocking. I mean, these assholes won't even ACT sorry for what they did... never mind fessing up, or taking their medicine.

I know, tinselwolverine, I try to have a high tolerance because I know he's just blowing off steam, but I can only hear about Mark goddamn Emmmerttt so many times.

Now if he was complaining about FSD announcers cheering for a Texas Rangers victory, when that victory hurt Detroit's chances of getting home field advantage and was likely the sole reason for them not winning the World Series this year, then I can understand. Now that is a legitimate gripe.

I don't think that happened. I don't think Ron or Mario were rooting for Texas to beat the LA Angels of Anaheim that night.

Agree with Sentiment about the coverup, lack of candor, the deal last year - all of that is what sits with folks

If they had just owned up last year and not made a deal, there would be. A chance the story would have faded some instead it kept getting stinkier

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]I don't think that happened. I don't think Ron or Mario were rooting for Texas to beat the LA Angels of Anaheim that night.

Oh, well then, geez.

MichChamp02 said:
While I agree with Bob 100% that what ohio did was MUCH worse than Reggie Bush's transgressions, yeah, when you consider that USC was already in trouble for OJ Mayo, I guess the punishment makes sense.

ALTHOUGH... Ohio basketball has also been slapped on the wrist recently.

It wasn't just WHAT Tressel and the Tat 5 did that was a problem, but the cover up, and the lack of candor from ohio right up until the Bowl Ban was handed down today that is shocking. I mean, these assholes won't even ACT sorry for what they did... never mind fessing up, or taking their medicine.

As my younger brother (UM, 99) said, "three years is a long time to be on probation... be patient and give Meyer some time to get settled."

It's just a flat out joke that O$U was slapped on a wrist like this.. U$C should be pissed. One college gets 30 scholarships over three years and the other gets 9 over three years. You can't tell me it's all because Garrett at U$C tried to stonewall the NCAA and so called up front O$U was proactive in its dealing with the NCAA.. O$U did nothing here. Tre$$el, Smith, and Gee are all phonies and we all know why they were given such weak penalties.. Ok I won't mention his name again. But the fact is I was right on Tre$4el when he was hired. He was a cheater and scumbag at Y$U and the O$U administration sold it's soul to a win at all costs coach after a 2-10-1 stretch verses Michigan. I said he was suspect then and now he is getting it worse then the university that paid him. The NCAA goes hard after Tre$$el and Pryor and lets the school off the hook. As a Michigan fan have a right to be pissed because if you take away just three players, Clarett, Smith, and Pryor (all dirty) over the last decade the cheaters win total drops from 9-1 to around 6-4 or 5-5 at best or worse.

As far as the Angels not starting their starters... It was bush league by the Angels.. Heck the Phillies went balls out and swept the braves in Atlanta and that allowed the Cardinals to get the playoffs. Go figure how that ended up... Packers last year backing in comes to mind... Anyway whatever it really is funny how O$U fans think this is bad... it is a joke.. yup i am pissed about it. I am pissed that O$U cheated the last decade...

There is a win at all costs culture that has taken hold at ohio. There are many ohio fans that still do not get this and think that the infractions were trivial. The NCAA should have taken the steps to show that it would not tolerate this culture. The penalties imposed will not change a thing at ohio. They have already hired a coach that will continue this culture and allow it to flourish. The NCAA had the opportunity to make a significant statement in this case and it failed.

rumseyhouse77 said:
There is a win at all costs culture that has taken hold at ohio. There are many ohio fans that still do not get this and think that the infractions were trivial. The NCAA should have taken the steps to show that it would not tolerate this culture. The penalties imposed will not change a thing at ohio. They have already hired a coach that will continue this culture and allow it to flourish. The NCAA had the opportunity to make a significant statement in this case and it failed.

Well... they allowed ohio to pin most of it on Tressel. the show-cause order makes him toxic (assuming it is not lifted and no waiver is granted.) He's currently 59, so he'll be 64 when it goes away.

that may just tank his career. Who's going to hire him at 64? Maybe a school looking for quick 1 or 2 year interim guy.

I DO think Tressel bears the lion's share of responsibility for the corruption there. He was the HC.

Yep, TheVest and T_Peezy will fall on their swords as did Lil' MoMo and Andy Geiger.

The fact that Gene Smith still has a job is shocking but otherwise, there was a lot swept under the rug and/or disregarded by the NCAA in comparison to all the reports that surfaced about the timeline of the Tatts/Cash/Cars over the past 10yrs as well as the Who in terms of involvement.

Bottom line, as has been said, is the money involved with Ohio* football. They may not be good at managing their revenue and turning it into an impressively profitable AD, but they bring in Gross $$$ for the BigTen and the NCAA.

And Urban Meyer is a bald-faced liar and dirtbag. Business as usual....

TheVictors03 said:
Yep, TheVest and T_Peezy will fall on their swords as did Lil' MoMo and Andy Geiger.

the only quibble I have with your post is this statement: "Falling on your sword" was considered a more or less honorable & heroic gesture, as a commander would willingly kill himself, rather than face defeat, or live as a coward who sacrificed his own men in a loss, and didn't share in the pain.

T-peezy, and Momo didn't do anything willingly.

Tressell, was forced to.

when asked to resign, he didn't have a choice at that point... he had no chance to sue the AD to keep his job, since he breached his contract by failing to report on tattgate, and lying to Smith at the time.

You're right ... bad choice of phrase.

More like they were sacrificed to the God of Winning at All Costs so that the Ohio* Buckeye bloodline of victory can continue. Onward and upward and Beat TTUN!

MichChamp02 said:
TheVictors03 said:

the only quibble I have with your post is this statement: "Falling on your sword" was considered a more or less honorable & heroic gesture, as a commander would willingly kill himself, rather than face defeat, or live as a coward who sacrificed his own men in a loss, and didn't share in the pain.

T-peezy, and Momo didn't do anything willingly.

Tressell, was forced to.

when asked to resign, he didn't have a choice at that point... he had no chance to sue the AD to keep his job, since he breached his contract by failing to report on tattgate, and lying to Smith at the time.

Wasn't the vest allowed to "retire" rather than being fired? If so, then none of them (tressell, tp, etc.) paid the appropriate penalty. The vest has more than enough money to live the rest of his days in comfort. And wasn't the vest brought in to talk to ohio before The Game? Like a lost hero. If I was a player on ohio I wouldn't want him back again seeing that he basically skated while the team has been hit with sanctions and a bowl ban. Unless the vest was going to say something like "I am so sorry that I fucked up and now you are paying for it". Don't think it is likely that the vest will be saying that to the team he betrayed.

Back