Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Paterno Fired

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
bamf16 said:
McQueary would be the declarant and given his availability to testify at trial paterno's testimony likely wouldn't get past one of the what 25 or so exceptions. He got fired for being the most visible member of a program in turmoil.

He got fired for being a scumbag.

This really can't be stressed enough.

A scumbag who put his own legacy ahead of the lives of innocent children.

And getting fired is not that bad, because he was criminally negligent in my opinion.

wow, go to bed arguing about hunting - wake up and JoPa is fired and PSU students riot. Crazy stuff - almost surreal.

MichChamp02 said:
bamf16 said:
McQueary would be the declarant and given his availability to testify at trial paterno's testimony likely wouldn't get past one of the what 25 or so exceptions. He got fired for being the most visible member of a program in turmoil.

the evidence here is unrelated to the firing.

Paterno was fired to preserve whatever dignity the school and program still had remaining.

He may not have had any duty at law beyond informing Curly and Schultz at the time, but there's no way any self respecting program could say "Our head coach knew one of his former assistants was a child molester for over a decade, and knew that nothing further was done about it."

there's no precedent here; it wasn't a legal decision to fire him, it was a straight PR (and human decency) decision.

and dude, if you read the transcript, while there's no direct evidence linking Paterno to the 98-99 episode, you have to wonder if he knew at the time. Sandusky was considered a possible successor to him, and all of the sudden retires from coaching completely, and Paterno has no reason why? that's unlikely.

Which transcript? You referring to the Grand Jury pdf posted in the timeline thread? I think I read pages 7-23 or whatever the number through watery eyes, thinking that this can happen to children this easily. And you may have touched on one of many stories that may break and cause me to like I typed earlier take back some statements if other news breaks about a cover up, JoePa coercing the termination of an investigation, etc. You may be right....the Sandusky retirement may be something that develops.

in all of this talk only one person has mentioned that mcquery(sp) is still coaching at penn state as we speak. he saw the transgressions, and no i have not read the report but from what i have read in the media, it does not say anywhere that he did anything to stop it. he told joe pa and everything is fine with him. why isnt he in more trouble? am i missing something? how does he still have a job?

I have no doubt McQuery will get his and lose his job. Probably soon.

from the grand jury transcript, McQueary sounds like the only one who did everything he was supposed to.

I was talking about this with a coworker.

The BIG question I have is who the hero was behind the scenes that provided the impetus to FINALLY convene a grand jury to investigate and indict Sandusky?

Remember, the police HAD EVIDENCE, INCLUDING A TAPED CONFESSION from Sandusky as far back as 1998. He continued committing these crimes until at least '05-'06. What finally compelled them to do something about it? Someone finally got the grand jury together.

my coworker thinks it was McQueary who finally threatened to go to the press. So he was the only one who knew about it who did anything more than help cover it up... hence he's the only one who still has a job.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I have no doubt McQuery will get his and lose his job. Probably soon.

Agreed. I think they are being careful because he (and they) are also in a precarious legal situation. After people go to jail, there should be civil suits.

MichChamp02 said:
from the grand jury transcript, McQueary sounds like the only one who did everything he was supposed to.

I was talking about this with a coworker.

The BIG question I have is who the hero was behind the scenes that provided the impetus to FINALLY convene a grand jury to investigate and indict Sandusky?

Remember, the police HAD EVIDENCE, INCLUDING A TAPED CONFESSION from Sandusky as far back as 1998. He continued committing these crimes until at least '05-'06. What finally compelled them to do something about it? Someone finally got the grand jury together.

my coworker thinks it was McQueary who finally threatened to go to the press. So he was the only one who knew about it who did anything more than help cover it up... hence he's the only one who still has a job.

He didn't do everything he should have done. He should have intervened when he saw what he saw. But the suggestion that he's the one that finally broke the cover up is an interesting idea.

You see someone getting murdered you hide, though some would intervene. I mean you don't want to be killed yourself. And no doubt the Police would be involved. But in this instance, you get that child out of harms way. How could you not.

Back