Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Preseason Game 1: Jets @ Lions Thread

Is it unheard of to put a kicker on the practice squad so he doesn't get snatched up? Akers isn't going to be around much longer.

I have to laugh at the tards calling into the radio after the game. Some of the highlights: When will Stafford show his potential? Stafford will not take them to the SB. Hill should start if Staff has a bad game. Hill has completions to so many different receivers, why can't Stafford do that, he only looks good because of Calvin.

Yeah I have seen people in other places saying Staff was to inconsistent. He had 2 whole drives and they scored on one of them. And people complained about play calling. When a preseason game is going to be vanilla plays. I even heard a guy say we played horrible vs the run, We only allowed 2.3 yds a carry. What do people want.

initial thoughts for me were:

staff to calvin is sick...duh
Dline will be good
Secondary sucked
Thor vs Magnus ver Magnusson...who wins?
All of our OLB would be 3rd stringers on any other team.

My thoughts on the Jets game are:

You can't call "Kickalicious" a novelty anymore

Reggie Bush showed what he brings to the passing game in the 28 yrd pass to CJ.

The LB's are STILL a mess. Whitehead & Lewis got lost in pass coverage. Palmer was ok.

Not sold on the CB's. Safties are fine/good.

O-line still a train wreck.

Long way to go.

Definitely a long way to go.

I liked the DL play for the mist part but question their stamina as they slowed down before 2nd string came in. Could be they were too up for this one and completely blew their energy in first 5-10 minutes, but I hoped to see more sustained pressure from start to finish in first quarter. Sanchez had too little pressure on that TD drive, I don't care if they did go no huddle. It isn't like that was the 4th quarter and jets were close to 40 min in possession to say the DL is deservedly done.

Stafford was typical...rusty, but not worried about it. We still need a slightly better #2 WR who is able to get better seperation and Staff feels equally comfortable with. Maybe one of the new guys can develop into that, hard to tell at this point.

OL was ok when considering 3 are new starters and need some timento gel. It could take a good portion of the season for them to hit there stride. Let's just hope they can stay healthy enough for that to happen. The run blocking still needs to be improved, but for right now I'm ok if their primary focus continues to be protecting Staff.

We definitely have a punter who can be considered a weapon. And K will be an interesting battle to watch throughout preseason. Go with the younger leg if all else is equal, and so far so good.

LBs and CBS....chirp, chirp, chirp....they were supposed to be better than last year, but looked far worse, like a destined for 2-14 team's. They better get their shit together fast.

Definitely a long way to go.

I liked the DL play for the mist part but question their stamina as they slowed down before 2nd string came in. Could be they were too up for this one and completely blew their energy in first 5-10 minutes, but I hoped to see more sustained pressure from start to finish in first quarter. Sanchez had too little pressure on that TD drive, I don't care if they did go no huddle. It isn't like that was the 4th quarter and jets were close to 40 min in possession to say the DL is deservedly done.

Stafford was typical...rusty, but not worried about it. We still need a slightly better #2 WR who is able to get better seperation and Staff feels equally comfortable with. Maybe one of the new guys can develop into that, hard to tell at this point.

OL was ok when considering 3 are new starters and need some timento gel. It could take a good portion of the season for them to hit there stride. Let's just hope they can stay healthy enough for that to happen. The run blocking still needs to be improved, but for right now I'm ok if their primary focus continues to be protecting Staff.

We definitely have a punter who can be considered a weapon. And K will be an interesting battle to watch throughout preseason. Go with the younger leg if all else is equal, and so far so good.

LBs and CBS....chirp, chirp, chirp....they were supposed to be better than last year, but looked far worse, like a destined for 2-14 team's. They better get their shit together fast.

dline wont wear down during the regular season when were rotating so many people in. That's part of the reason I love our dline this year. bring in idonije willie young and some of the rotational DTs and we still have a solid group.

A ar as the secondary goes...yuck. Not good when sanchez and a rookie in his first game goes 16/20 for over 200 yds in a little more than a half. It looked like we played some sort of shell defense off the ball in the highlights I saw so hopefully that was the reason and changes....soon. Maybe something they just played cause it was the first preseason game...but it was bad.

Last edited:
In the little I did watch I saw that Carey pretty much sucked. Where's LKP?

dline wont wear down during the regular season when were rotating so many people in. That's part of the reason I love our dline this year. bring in idonije willie young and some of the rotational DTs and we still have a solid group.

A ar as the secondary goes...yuck. Not good when sanchez and a rookie in his first game goes 16/20 for over 200 yds in a little more than a half. It looked like we played some sort of shell defense off the ball in the highlights I saw so hopefully that was the reason and changes....soon. Maybe something they just played cause it was the first preseason game...but it was bad.

Very vanilla d hughesy...not atypical for a preseason game. I would approach the secondary with cautious optimism or in your case optimistic pessimism. They are better on paper, let's hope as more season-like schemes are instituted the paper proves right. Would definitely like to see more from the back seven as a whole.

Very vanilla d hughesy...not atypical for a preseason game. I would approach the secondary with cautious optimism or in your case optimistic pessimism. They are better on paper, let's hope as more season-like schemes are instituted the paper proves right. Would definitely like to see more from the back seven as a whole.

Here's my problem with the "no worries, it was just vanilla D and the other schemes will prove they are better" argument:

1. Vanilla D is something they work on from OTAs through to Preseason.
2. Vanilla D is the most basic and simplistic D that they will run all year.
3. They were incapable of knowing their assignments in the Vanilla D.
4. They looked like they were completely lost in the Vanilla D.

So, please explain how they are going to NOT be lost and will know their assignments so well in the non-Vanilla D.

Here's my problem with the "no worries, it was just vanilla D and the other schemes will prove they are better" argument:

1. Vanilla D is something they work on from OTAs through to Preseason.
2. Vanilla D is the most basic and simplistic D that they will run all year.
3. They were incapable of knowing their assignments in the Vanilla D.
4. They looked like they were completely lost in the Vanilla D.

So, please explain how they are going to NOT be lost and will know their assignments so well in the non-Vanilla D.

Hmmm....I'll assume your comments are directed towards me, z, since you directly quoted me. That being said you didn't actually directly quote me.

I never said "no worries" and also stated I'd like to see more from the back seven, which includes the four db's. That being said they were playing a "shell" defense as hughes said and any reaction one way or the other at this point would be knee-jerk in my opinion. I am not confident in the secondary at this point, but do believe they are better on paper, and that is my knee-jerk reaction after preseason game number one.

Hmmm....I'll assume your comments are directed towards me, z, since you directly quoted me. That being said you didn't actually directly quote me.

I never said "no worries" and also stated I'd like to see more from the back seven, which includes the four db's. That being said they were playing a "shell" defense as hughes said and any reaction one way or the other at this point would be knee-jerk in my opinion. I am not confident in the secondary at this point, but do believe they are better on paper, and that is my knee-jerk reaction after preseason game number one.

the optimistic (LKP) approach would be don't worry...Delmas will be healthy all year and fix everything in the back 7.

the pessimistic (Hughes) approach is Bentley and Carey sucked and couldn't even figure out a base defense. Delmas was where he normally is...on the sidelines. And the linebackers are no help whatsoever in the pass game and wouldn't even start for Alabama.

like elrod, I too like our secondary more than last years unit. Even moreso I think the dline will help them more than last year.

Last edited:
the optimistic (LKP) approach would be don't worry...Delmas will be healthy all year and fix everything in the back 7.

the pessimistic (Hughes) approach is Bentley and Carey sucked and couldn't even figure out a base defense. Delmas was where he normally is...on the sidelines. And the linebackers are no help whatsoever in the pass game and wouldn't even start for Alabama.

like elrod, I too like our secondary more than last years unit. Even moreso I think the dline will help them more than last year.

The correct approach is not to judge someone solely on a preseason game and label that as the way they will play for an entire season. Both the good with Ansah and the bad with Bentley/Carey. We'll see how much Delmas plays. The plan is Week 1 not preseason Week 1 for him. It's a smart plan.

Na, while I was quoting u persay, I have seen the comment several times by others so I was more very honest in trying to understand the thoughts behind the statements as they seem counter-intuitive as I was trying to show.

Back 7 is very much a concern, but there are still more preseason games to get things better.

Its the first preseason game and they were rotating players in and out pretty early. Not going to lie I was irritated when watching the game but I thought they made more good plays and explosive plays then they did completely whiff. The touchdown was scored against a predominantly second string D. But there were some very bad plays that hopefully Gun can fix but I dont have a lot of faith but think they will be ok.

Its the first preseason game and they were rotating players in and out pretty early. Not going to lie I was irritated when watching the game but I thought they made more good plays and explosive plays then they did completely whiff. The touchdown was scored against a predominantly second string D. But there were some very bad plays that hopefully Gun can fix but I dont have a lot of faith but think they will be ok.

I saw complete whiffs from whitehead and hope that would have been short gains but quickly turned into big chunks cause they cant tackle for shit lol.

*sigh* it's cool to look good in the preseason and what not. But I really can't pay much attention to it. I remember when we went 0-16. jon kitna had a perfect qb rating 158.3. The defense was actually the best in the entire preseason. (only allowing like 10 points a game or some crap). And we went 4-0. We'll figure out more soon when we play our first real game.

Back