Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sick of all of this - A Rant

I also have a huge issue with the bible's treatment of women and condoning of slavery. A woman who is not a virgin on her wedding day is to be stoned to death after being dragged to the home of her father. Men may sell their daughters as slaves. They may take slaves of foreign countries/religions. There's instruction on how to pass down your slaves to your children when you die and even on how to treat your slaves.

Not to mention all of the atrocities in the bible that God is responsible for. Killing unborn babies while inside the womb. Slaughtering men, women, and children. Ordering entire villages to be destroyed. Killing a child because of disobedience.

If any of this was to be spoken in a church, you'd have half the audience just get up and leave. The book is no book of morals, so i find it disgusting when republicans (or anyone for that matter) try to use it to justify something they've done.

That's why I find that most Christians have absolutely no clue what is in their book. The bible is on par with the Quran. the only difference is that their people actually discuss and abide by what it says. Well, not all of them, but many in the middle east.

So what do you make of it? How is it so many people are getting this book so wrong and either not following it properly or not throwing it aside? It's not just a few people we're talking about here.

Well, now that I'm aware that they do in fact - or did - really exist, I think we need to at least start teaching those facts in public school.

sounds good to me.

And we can teach them to steer clear from doing any of these things...

http://www.evilbible.com/Murder.htm

a short sample:

Meanwhile, the LORD instructed one of the group of prophets to say to another man, "Strike me!" But the man refused to strike the prophet. Then the prophet told him, "Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me." And sure enough, when he had gone, a lion attacked and killed him.

and

From there Elisha went up to Bethel. While he was on his way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him. "Go up baldhead," they shouted, "go up baldhead!" The prophet turned and saw them, and he cursed them in the name of the Lord. Then two shebears came out of the woods and tore forty two of the children to pieces.

So what do you make of it? How is it so many people are getting this book so wrong and either not following it properly or not throwing it aside? It's not just a few people we're talking about here.

You've read the bible, correct? It's tough, right? Most people get their bible instruction as kids in bible school or from church as adults. The rare few find short versions of the bible that are easier to understand and void of any of the "bad stuff".

Myself, I read the bible as a teenager and again a few years ago. Didn't understand a damn thing until i slowed down and read it again.

From there Elisha went up to Bethel. While he was on his way, some small boys came out of the city and jeered at him. "Go up baldhead," they shouted, "go up baldhead!" The prophet turned and saw them, and he cursed them in the name of the Lord. Then two shebears came out of the woods and tore forty two of the children to pieces.

Duh! Stand you ground law. Obviously. You have a right to bear shebears.

sticker,375x360.u2.png

You've read the bible, correct? It's tough, right? Most people get their bible instruction as kids in bible school or from church as adults. The rare few find short versions of the bible that are easier to understand and void of any of the "bad stuff".

Myself, I read the bible as a teenager and again a few years ago. Didn't understand a damn thing until i slowed down and read it again.

Yes. Most people argue their whole lives with very little religious education. They apply a 2nd grade education to an adult life and find it doesn't work and doesn't have all the answers.

But no, I haven't read the entirety of the Bible. Maybe half. Much of it long ago. Most of what I've read is what people say about the Bible. A lot of it is too tough for me. Or too tough for me to understand as well as I'd like without reading someone else's take on it at least. It doesn't surprise me though. It hard to understand Twain and that just a century displaced from it's writing with zero language translations. It a miracle I can get as much as I do from the Bible.

There is a series of video's on youtube that feature Penn Jillete of Penn and Teller fame, where he explains how he because an Atheist. Basically he did it by reading the bible as a teenager, and realizing that most of what is preached, is not whats in the bible, and that most of the stuff he read was just crazy.

For example, thou shall not kill, only applies to member of your own tribe. Not humanity in general like it's often quoted and preached about. Also things about how a father should sell his daughters into slavery, etc. Lots of stuff that's part of "His" word that just goes completely unnoticed or ignored.

We're overdue for having some options. Why haven't we sent anyone to Mars yet?

I don't know. But it's the numbers like those in that graph you posted that have pretty much killed any hope in my mind of living in the sort of world I'd like to live in at some point in my lifetime.

Picking 10,000 of our best and brightest, putting them into a deep sleep on a interstellar ship and heading for the nearest star system with a habitable rocky earth-like planet is the best hope for humanity. Maybe some day one of my kids can be on it.

...they'll get to tune in to communications from earth, see people bombing abortion clinics, getting brainwashed by religious cults, watching American Idol season 1,146, and listening to President George W. Bush the 85th arguing that we need to invade and kill all of Oceania because "they hate our Freedoms" and think... "MAN, are we ever glad we got off that rock! Pass me another daiquiri, and let's go watch another holographic Miles Davis & John Coltrane fusion concert by the pool."

There is a series of video's on youtube that feature Penn Jillete of Penn and Teller fame, where he explains how he because an Atheist. Basically he did it by reading the bible as a teenager, and realizing that most of what is preached, is not whats in the bible, and that most of the stuff he read was just crazy.

For example, thou shall not kill, only applies to member of your own tribe. Not humanity in general like it's often quoted and preached about. Also things about how a father should sell his daughters into slavery, etc. Lots of stuff that's part of "His" word that just goes completely unnoticed or ignored.

I'll look that up.

I've seen him frequently on CNN and MSNBC, even a few times on FOX. Probably my favorite speaker is Sam Harris, but Penn is definitely fun to watch. He mixes in a lot of comedy.

Picking 10,000 of our leaders and best, putting them into a deep sleep on a interstellar ship and heading for the nearest star system with a habitable rocky earth-like planet is the best hope for humanity. Maybe some day one of my kids can be on it.

fixed

Well if Reagan was still alive Nasa could probably convince him the Red planet is full of communist Martians.

I want to live on Titan or Triton. Everyone wants to go to Mars, Id rather be somewhere most people would rather not be lol.

Back