Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

So far Bob Quinn not looking good.

Why are we always the team that needs a few more years to be right

Quinn said it, not me. There's still more pieces to add. Wtf is the difference anyways? If I would have said that this team is built to win now, you would absolutely crucify me. Am i right? Damn right you would ;)
The talent is coming along. I don't think they're far off but i agree with Quinn. Needs a bit more. Be competitive this year......get in the playoffs somehow.....hopefully win a game. Work on it from there.
I want to win a SB like the rest of ya, but they're not there. We all know this...

Last edited:
I am probably the lone voice here that feels this way, but I'll say it anyway. I don't think this team needs a "fix".

We've been competitive. In the last several years we've made the playoffs twice, and came close a couple more times. We've had some real down years, and some real up years, but I feel like the talent in there.

What we need is to get over the hump. We need that spark that puts it all together.

And I don't think Quinn can provide that. Coaches put players on the field, GMs put them on the team. I think the best we can expect out of Quinn is that he continues to try and improve the team, drafts smart, and looks at the right free agents for the system.

It's going to be up to the coaches to teach the system to the players, and up to the players to execute the system.

In a lifetime of being a fan of the game, there is one thing I know for certain... no system is a losing system. No team is devoid of talent. Injuries often play a huge factor, and depth is non-existant on every roster.

Any team that thinks they have "depth" is one key injury away from finding out what they really have is a body that can play at a high level, not a starter or future superstar. It happens, but it's damned rare.

Teams always need fixing. Even the great teams. I think Quinn is building something right here. You can sense it. He's putting his stamp on it.....bringing in guys, shipping guys out, being smart with the money. It actually looks like they have a plan.

Well for TE catch rate it is tied for 18th with 3 others.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te

ebron.jpg

64 tight ends play a good amount. 18 of 64 means reliable. Especially when 68 completion is a top 5 for qbs

In all honesty, maybe it's just my naturally born skepticism with all things Lions, but I don't really get that "feeling he's building something right" yet. There's been a continued love with Orlovsky, which reeks of the classic loyalty issue. He told the fan base to be patient, which is a no-no here. He and Caldwell both discuss their zero-tolerance policy, and then turn around and pick up Quarless, sighting that "each case is different." He drafted two guys in the 6th round, one of which he cut (and was fortunate enough to clear waivers), and another who is a long-snapper (could have EASILY picked up in free agency)

I'm having a hard time seeing that "tangible" difference he's stamped on this team.

All that matters is the product on the field. And we'll see it starting Sunday.

In all honesty, maybe it's just my naturally born skepticism with all things Lions, but I don't really get that "feeling he's building something right" yet. There's been a continued love with Orlovsky, which reeks of the classic loyalty issue. He told the fan base to be patient, which is a no-no here. He and Caldwell both discuss their zero-tolerance policy, and then turn around and pick up Quarless, sighting that "each case is different." He drafted two guys in the 6th round, one of which he cut (and was fortunate enough to clear waivers), and another who is a long-snapper (could have EASILY picked up in free agency)

I'm having a hard time seeing that "tangible" difference he's stamped on this team.

All that matters is the product on the field. And we'll see it starting Sunday.

You obviously don't get it either. It has nothing to do with "loving" Orlovsky for fuck sakes. Caldwell is comfortable with him, he's good in the film room (which isn't a bad thing but to most of you schmucks, it is lol). It's like Caldwell views him as a coach. In no way does he want DanO to start. It's just a trust thing, a system thing.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with telling fans to be patient. Especially Lions fans. Know why? Because all we got is patience!!! That's fact. This is Quinn's team. You guys want the stink of Mayhew to fade away? Be fucking patient....end of story.
He explained the Quarless situation. They did their investigating on the matter and they were pretty desperate to sign a TE off waivers. Their situation was hairy. Enter Quarless...a decent option if something bad happens. He was the BEST of the bunch.
There was nothing "fortunate" about Rudock clearing waivers. My 4 yr old knew he was clearing waivers. NOBODY in their right fucking mind was picking up Rudock because NOBODY wants to put him on a 53 man roster. HE ISN'T READY. As for the long snapper? Who gives a shit? Mulbach is probably packing it up soon and we landed one of the best long snappers in college football. It's not a big deal. I did notice that you never mentioned the other 7th rder we drafted and who will probably snatch the RB job out of AA's hands if he doesn't smarten up. But whatever....bitching about late rd draft picks pretty much means that you have no idea what you're talking about. They're luxuries and we possibly landed a decent backup QB for the future, a very good long snapper and a RB that could possibly start for this team who will contribute right away too. Ya, let's bitch lol.

Of course you're having a hard time seeing the difference. You don't see the whole picture. You're focused on a fucking long snapper, a PS QB and you're all butthurt with your feels over a TE that shot a gun in the air at a beach party lol.

Quinn changed 4 starters and almost all the depth. Just not qb

Dan o won 2 games on an 0 11 team. No wonder caldwell loves him

Things DEFINITELY haven't changed around here.

I gave you my thoughts. Nothing looks different, other than a difference face in the front office that seems to be making the exact same moves that Mayhew would have made. I don't know how you can say "I like what he's doing," when there really hasn't been ANYTHING tangibly different other than signing a decent offensive lineman in the first round who was graded below others that were still available.

Like I said, and tried to do it in a non-angry post, the jury's still out. But all we've had to judge him so far is one draft class and one off-season, and everything seems relatively the same. So saying "I like what he's doing," I just don't see what you are seeing other than being a total optimist. WHICH IS FINE, I don't have a problem with that.

Quinn found out mayhew was doing it right. But quinn did change the depth. I bet mayhew would take decker and robinson in draf too

Maybe. I'm not going to war about it. I just don't see this hard and fast tangible "stamp" he's put on it that you've seen.

Things DEFINITELY haven't changed around here.

I gave you my thoughts. Nothing looks different, other than a difference face in the front office that seems to be making the exact same moves that Mayhew would have made. I don't know how you can say "I like what he's doing," when there really hasn't been ANYTHING tangibly different other than signing a decent offensive lineman in the first round who was graded below others that were still available.

Like I said, and tried to do it in a non-angry post, the jury's still out. But all we've had to judge him so far is one draft class and one off-season, and everything seems relatively the same. So saying "I like what he's doing," I just don't see what you are seeing other than being a total optimist. WHICH IS FINE, I don't have a problem with that.

Not even angry lol.

Let me get this straight tho. You're allowed to compare Quinn's moves as being Mayhewesque, but i'm not allowed to like what Quinn has done so far??? Gotcha!!! Lol.
And if the only thing that you see is that we signed a 1st rd LT then you don't belong on a football board, bro. And i say that in the nicest possible way lol. Talk chess or checkers.....seriously.

Maybe. I'm not going to war about it. I just don't see this hard and fast tangible "stamp" he's put on it that you've seen.

It's going to take a couple of drafts and free agent moves to officially put his stamp on the team, but you can see that he has a plan.

When did I say you can't like what Quinn has done so far? I said I don't see what you do, and his moves haven't moved the needle for me. His first round pick is the biggest initial impact for the Lions moving forward. And the Decker pick was very meh, and I'm not the only one that feels that way.

The biggest signing was Marvin Jones, and the jury is still out on whether or not he's going to be a good lead dog. Team still has no viable running game whatsoever.

I'm not going to trumpet Bob Quinn and say he's done a tremendous job so far. It's been an average off-season, IMO. Just my opinion, no more, no less. And I hope that he does have a good plan moving forward, I'm 30, I can't stomach more shitty Lions football.

Last edited:
When did I say you can't like what Quinn has done so far? I said I don't see what you do, and his moves haven't moved the needle for me. His first round pick is the biggest initial impact for the Lions moving forward. And the Decker pick was very meh, and I'm not the only one that feels that way.

The biggest signing was Marvin Jones, and the jury is still out on whether or not he's going to be a good lead dog. Team still has no viable running game whatsoever.

I'm not going to trumpet Bob Quinn and say he's done a tremendous job so far. It's been an average off-season, IMO. Just my opinion, no more, no less. And I hope that he does have a good plan moving forward, I'm 30, I can't stomach more shitty Lions football.

A lot of people love the Decker pick. He's a pure LT and it moved Reiff to his natural position at RT. Reiff has played well this preseason too. It's like having 2 picks.....great move by Quinn. Then he went out and grabbed a 1st rd DT in the 2nd. Followed it up with a couple more OLinemen and even got ourselves a couple of playmakers on both sides of the ball even later. More than solid draft.

Jury is out on M. Jones?? What jury? He's no #81. So, the first thing you guys that think that, you all need to put it in park. Tate is still our #1. Even tho the connection early between Staff and MJ looks real. This offense is different now. A whole bunch of weapons to rely on.....Tate, MJ, Ebron, Riddick, Boldin, Washington and Zenner. We never had this last year. No more just looking to see where #81 is lined up.

And I never said Quinn has done a tremendous job. All i said is that i like what he's done so far. He's slowly acquiring players that should help this team. And he's re-signing good football players too. A good sign that your GM is doing things the right way?? Read between the lines.....Slay, Riddick, Ngata all coming back are signs that the players like what they see. Ansah and Stafford are next.

I'm not on that bandwagon of "No Calvin is going to be better for this offense." Stafford's had Ebron, Tate, and Calvin at the same time, and not having him is going to be such a massive void to get used to. I'm a little annoyed of that standpoint that because Calvin is gone, suddenly this offense is going to be explosive and wide open. Just don't see it. A real lack of appreciation for what a freak he was and how he completely stretched the field.

Last edited:
A lot of people love the Decker pick. He's a pure LT and it moved Reiff to his natural position at RT. Reiff has played well this preseason too. It's like having 2 picks.....great move by Quinn. Then he went out and grabbed a 1st rd DT in the 2nd. Followed it up with a couple more OLinemen and even got ourselves a couple of playmakers on both sides of the ball even later. More than solid draft.

Jury is out on M. Jones?? What jury? He's no #81. So, the first thing you guys that think that, you all need to put it in park. Tate is still our #1. Even tho the connection early between Staff and MJ looks real. This offense is different now. A whole bunch of weapons to rely on.....Tate, MJ, Ebron, Riddick, Boldin, Washington and Zenner. We never had this last year. No more just looking to see where #81 is lined up.

And I never said Quinn has done a tremendous job. All i said is that i like what he's done so far. He's slowly acquiring players that should help this team. And he's re-signing good football players too. A good sign that your GM is doing things the right way?? Read between the lines.....Slay, Riddick, Ngata all coming back are signs that the players like what they see. Ansah and Stafford are next.

Again we are talking potential. Don't forget Gabe Wright was a 2nd rounder that we stole in the 4th.

Slay I thought made it very clear he was about money, he liked the contract, not saying he doesn't like the lions, but lets not pretend he or any of these other guys are taking some sort of hometown discount. They are cashing in and going after that paycheck.

Last year we had tate, we had riddick, we had ebron, Guys like Washington, Zenner are hardly going to see the field. The only improvement is Boldin, our #3 WR is far better than we've had.

Rookie LT could very well not be an improvement. That is a big wait and see.

All we know is on paper we have an easy schedule and Stafford looked better than he ever had at the end of last season. But it still comes down to him, he has never put together a full season.

But if everything works out ideally, yes the team could be a threat.

I'm not on that bandwagon of "No Calvin is going to be better for this offense." Stafford's had Ebron, Tate, and Calvin at the same time, and not having him is going to be such a massive void to get used to. I'm a little annoyed of that standpoint that because Calvin is gone, suddenly this offense is going to be explosive and wide open. Just don't see it. A real lack of appreciation for what a freak he was and how he completely stretched the field.

When did I say that we're better?? lol. We have more options now and it's not even close. Going to be much tougher for defenses to figure out this offense. No more shifting to see where 81 is anymore. A lot of one-on-ones and this is a good thing.
Time to get over that Calvin is bye bye. Beating yourself up over it is pointless

Calvin tate moore ebron riddick. Bad protection. 97 qb rating

Jones tate boldin ebron riddick and better protrction
Everyone should prefer 2016

Half lombardi and cooter or full cooter. Easy

Rokkie abdullah and bell or abdullah and zenner/washington

Playing denver,kc,seattle,zona defenses or playing jags,texans, giants,skins defenses

Last edited:
Who's beating whoself over it? I'm a bit confused by that.

I'm just saying I've heard a lot of sentiment that suddenly the offense is going to be so much better now without Calvin, and I find that thought process quite disingenuous.

Back