Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford

That's why 59.8 sucks. You do know its easier to complete passes via the dump off..eh?

Granted, it might be better than the previous QB's here but it still sucks for a guy making a fortune, #1 pick. Hill has a career % better than Staff.

Children die everytime you post. Do you know this?

Im done with you. Im sick of trying to explain it to you. Sucks for a guy making a fortune? #1 pick? So you're looking for around 80% comp rate i guess, eh? Go away, Mitch...lol.

Children die everytime you post. Do you know this?

Im done with you. Im sick of trying to explain it to you. Sucks for a guy making a fortune? #1 pick? So you're looking for around 80% comp rate i guess, eh? Go away, Mitch...lol.

Dude, what's wrong with you?! All we're saying is that for the money Stafford is paid (top 7 I believe), he should be within a percentage point or two of the top QBs (Rodgers, Brees, Brady, etc.) because he averages 1.5 yards less per throw than they do. A shorter throw is easier to complete, therefore his completion percentage gets a boost.

If Stafford had between a 63% and 65% completion percentage, I think that'd be great! If he stays near 60% (59.8% last year), I don't think he's deserving of his newly extended contract.

Dude, what's wrong with you?! All we're saying is that for the money Stafford is paid (top 7 I believe), he should be within a percentage point or two of the top QBs (Rodgers, Brees, Brady, etc.) because he averages 1.5 yards less per throw than they do. A shorter throw is easier to complete, therefore his completion percentage gets a boost.

If Stafford had between a 63% and 65% completion percentage, I think that'd be great! If he stays near 60% (59.8% last year), I don't think he's deserving of his newly extended contract.

Whats wrong with me? Not a fn thing actually. Youre trippin on a percentage point or two? Good for you bud!! Hes at a 60% clip and its perfectly fine. Thats my opinion. Dont like it?! Oops...sorry.

Hell, Dan Marino and Warren Moon were at 60% (under actually)..lol, but HEY, he needs to be at least at a 61 or 62% to be relevant....WOW! This argument is retarded

Now, again, i have to explain to you fn guys that im not comparing Stafford to the likes of Marino or Moon, just a couple of stupid numbers in an overrated stat anyways.

Last edited:
Whats wrong with me? Not a fn thing actually. Youre trippin on a percentage point or two? Good for you bud!! Hes at a 60% clip and its perfectly fine. Thats my opinion. Dont like it?! Oops...sorry.

Hell, Dan Marino and Warren Moon were at 60% (under actually)..lol, but HEY, he needs to be at least at a 61 or 62% to be relevant....WOW! This argument is retarded

Now, again, i have to explain to you fn guys that im not comparing Stafford to the likes of Marino or Moon, just a couple of stupid numbers in an overrated stat anyways.

completion percentage is a very relevant stat. You are right though....you can't compare guys like Marino & Moon to Stafford....it is MUCH easier to be a QB today vs. back then. The league is set up for QBs to succeed today!

All I have to do is watch 1 game to know stafford is not an accurate passer. Why people are arguing he's been accurate throughout his career is beyond me. Dude has a cannon...but by no means is he accurate. Short throws evidenced by a low ypa and the best wr in the universe should boost your numbers if anything.....to think that 59% is a "boosted" number is really pretty sad.

Last edited:
All I have to do is watch 1 game to know stafford is not an accurate passer. Why people are arguing he's been accurate throughout his career is beyond me. Dude has a cannon...but by no means is he accurate. Short throws evidenced by a low ypa and the best wr in the universe should boost your numbers if anything.....to think that 59% is a "boosted" number is really pretty sad.

Im not arguing that he's accurate. We all know he isnt, but ill take a 60% comp from him all day. If he could get it up to around 65%, even better

I still think its somewhat an overrated stat.

Completion percentage is often the result of play calling more than QB talent.

Consider Philip Rivers, who had the 7th highest completion percentage in football last year, but the 17th highest passing yards for the season, on the 11th most attempts.

Why? Because he dumps it off for short yardage to his check down back or his TE a LOT.

Now consider Andrew Luck (granted, a rookie) who had the 2nd worst completion percentage in the NFL last year, but threw for 4,300+ yards on even more attempts. He had the 5th most attempts in football.

Why? Because Arians relies on a vertical passing game that is high risk, high reward. They take a LOT of big shots down field in his offense, and while that makes the percentages go down, it equates to some big scoring chances and for Indy last year, a trip to the playoffs on Luck's arm.

Detroit takes a lot of big shots down field too. Stafford's completion percentage will go down, while his passing yards remain high, nearly 5,000 of them for last season. When it works well, it's a trip to the playoffs, ala 2011. When it doesn't because of injured receivers and no running game to speak of, we get a 4-12 season.

The easier the throws, the better the completion percentage... but not necessarily the higher the score. The harder the throws, the lower the completion percentage, but not necessarily the lower the score.

A QB's job is to put points on the board and give his team a chance to win. Stafford does that, and is among the best in the game at it. It's even the reason for people questioning his mechanics. He makes plays when most QB's will throw it away. But his completion percentage will be lower because of it.

At the end of the season, it's a team effort, and everyone has to play hard. The numbers might fall on Matty Nails stat line, but they don't belong to him alone, they belong to his receivers and his coaches too.

Stafford was 62.8% completion in the 6.25 games he played with Best (154/245 excluding the series Best missed in the 49ers game). Stafford had too much interior pressure on him last year and very good interior protection in 2011.

Bush is going to help and better protection will help, better game situations (not obvious passing situations trying to comeback). Hopefully Burleson, Broyles and Edwards can get better separation than from what we have seen. But with Calvin back and Bush as a threat, they should.

Consider Philip Rivers, who had the 7th highest completion percentage in football last year, but the 17th highest passing yards for the season, on the 11th most attempts.

Why? Because he dumps it off for short yardage to his check down back or his TE a LOT.

Now consider Andrew Luck (granted, a rookie) who had the 2nd worst completion percentage in the NFL last year, but threw for 4,300+ yards on even more attempts. He had the 5th most attempts in football.

Why? Because Arians relies on a vertical passing game that is high risk, high reward. They take a LOT of big shots down field in his offense, and while that makes the percentages go down, it equates to some big scoring chances and for Indy last year, a trip to the playoffs on Luck's arm.

Detroit takes a lot of big shots down field too. Stafford's completion percentage will go down, while his passing yards remain high, nearly 5,000 of them for last season. When it works well, it's a trip to the playoffs, ala 2011. When it doesn't because of injured receivers and no running game to speak of, we get a 4-12 season.

The easier the throws, the better the completion percentage... but not necessarily the higher the score. The harder the throws, the lower the completion percentage, but not necessarily the lower the score.

A QB's job is to put points on the board and give his team a chance to win. Stafford does that, and is among the best in the game at it. It's even the reason for people questioning his mechanics. He makes plays when most QB's will throw it away. But his completion percentage will be lower because of it.

At the end of the season, it's a team effort, and everyone has to play hard. The numbers might fall on Matty Nails stat line, but they don't belong to him alone, they belong to his receivers and his coaches too.

Agreed. 22 PPG long drive offense is good enough for this offense. Lions had the same in 2011. Stafford moves the chains (even with no running game for the most part) and puts points on the board. The D and weapons(not turning the ball over with fumbles) have to do their part too.

And Rivers Y/A was low because of it..Of course Rivers Y/A are usually much higher. But you made my point, a bunch of short passes Staff should be better than 59.8.

I get you on the OC, I hate Linehan. The other WR are a problem but that's on Mayhew for not getting us any.

Again, though, Staff is low on my list of problems for this team. But he needs to improve..

Last edited:

A better comparison to Stafford would be Tony Romo. Both completed the exact number of passes <10 yards...326. Stafford 326-468 (69.7%) 2659 yards. Romo completed 326 - 443 (73.6%) for 2684 yards. On passes over 10 yards Romo was 99 - 205 (48.3%) for 2219 yards. Stafford was 109-259 (42%) for 2308 yards. In the NFL today where it is set up for the passing game to succeed a good QB (top 10) should be completing at least 63% of his passes....probably closer to 65%.

Tony, howd ur $ draft go?

Pretty solid, man...i dont mean to highjack the thread but heres my squad.

QB - Cam Newton
RB - LeSean McCoy
RB- Matt Forte
WR - Randall Cobb
WR - Eric Decker
TE - Fred Davis
F - Antonio Brown
K - David Akers
D - Lions

Bench

QB - Michael Vick
RB - Shane Vereen