Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The New Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
isnt that specifically what recruiting is all about? trying to keep the kids you have recruited while trying to get kids that may be interested in other schools. telling a kid that once they have committed to your school that they are expected to honor that or risk not having a spot seems like a very logical thing to do. now other schools can do this as well, but if they choose not to then they risk their kids getting poached.

soooo...the last recruiting thread was taken over by six year olds. Post any information about Michigan football and basketball recruiting here. Whether it's your own information or from a respected recruiting site, the information goes here.

Bump

Bolingbrook senior four-star defensive back Parrker Westphal (6-foot-1, 186 pounds) struggled for a few weeks in deciding between Northwestern or Vanderbilt.

Westphal this afternoon broke that tie and gave Northwestern and head coach Pat Fitzgeald his verbal commitment.

Bolingbrook senior four-star defensive back Parrker Westphal (6-foot-1, 186 pounds) struggled for a few weeks in deciding between Northwestern or Vanderbilt.

Westphal this afternoon broke that tie and gave Northwestern and head coach Pat Fitzgeald his verbal commitment.
It seems when that kid says that academics matter, its not bullshit.

Lot of buzz right now about Malik McDowell and Michigan State.

Can't imagine why a guy wouldn't want to come to UM and be randomly shuffled in and out of the game b/c of a coach's preset "rotation."

Losing Hand hurt, but at least McDowell was a decent enough consolation prize.

Any chance we get at least one Bama verbal to come to UM instead? A 4* WR please or a true OL stud actually capable of being great immediately????

Any chance we get at least one Bama verbal to come to UM instead? A 4* WR please or a true OL stud actually capable of being great immediately????

It'd be great, but unfortunately those don't happen often. True freshmen typically do struggle on the OL. As for WR, that development takes time too. As a true frosh, Braylon Edwards had 3 catches. David Terrell had 13. Marquise Walker had 4. Jason Avant had 12. Jeremy Gallon had 4. Junior Hemingway had 4. Mario Manningham had a productive 27, and Steve Breaston had 38, but even the best WRs UM has had the past 2+ decades haven't been overly productive as true freshmen. A large reason for that is the depth that was in front of them, but most of those guys averaged less than a catch a game. Even back in the late 1990s and early 2000s there were three receiver sets.

Of course, then you have a guy like Martavious Odoms who had 49 as a true frosh, which is over twice his second highest season total, and his four totals all went down year by year.

It's possible to get the studs you and others hope for, but they are the exception, not the rule.

True, but there is limited talent ahead of anyone coming into those spots so that makes it relatively easier, and as long as they have more talent they should be starting. Then again, Hoke doesn't like to start frosh so...

However, I will be SHOCKED if he doesn't start Peppers.

True, but there is limited talent ahead of anyone coming into those spots so that makes it relatively easier, and as long as they have more talent they should be starting. Then again, Hoke doesn't like to start frosh so...

However, I will be SHOCKED if he doesn't start Peppers.

I wouldn't say that. Magnuson, Bosch and Kalis all have expirience now and are incredibly young. Glasgow should improve greatly and Kugler was recovering from shoulder surgery early in the season. I could see Kalis getting kicked out to right tackle, Glasgow sliding over and Kugler taking the job at center. The past ol recruiting class is too good not to improve from year one to two.

As far as wideouts, funchess, Chesson and Darboh should be a nice core. Probably need one more to develop over the offseason to feel comfortable. Canteen and Harris are already enrolled and York and jones should be ready to contribute in one way or another.

Is anyone else worried at all about Jabrill Peppers now that James Franklin is at Penn St.?

Why would we be? Bill O'Brien is twice the coach Franklin is. There's a whole lot of PS commits looking around right now too.

I smell a tire fire in process. RR esque.

Why would we be? Bill O'Brien is twice the coach Franklin is. There's a whole lot of PS commits looking around right now too.

I smell a tire fire in process. RR esque.

That seems contrary to what I'm reading. But I hope you're right, certainly as far as Peppers is concerned. I would very much like to see PSU bounce back, but not in head-to-head recruiting against UM obviously. I asked because when Peppers talked back in the fall about taking visits, PSU was mentioned somewhere.

Peppers has not been solid U of M for a while. I highly doubt that changes in the next few weeks. He keeps saying how much he cant wait to wear the #2 and he has tweeted many pictures of him wearing it.

Peppers has not been solid U of M for a while. I highly doubt that changes in the next few weeks. He keeps saying how much he cant wait to wear the #2 and he has tweeted many pictures of him wearing it.

I assume you meant "has been solid"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back