Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The New Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not a whole lot of depth for a major program like ours.

And what happens if there is an injury or two or three like this year?

When does that decision have to be made? Will they know enough about Pipkins' recovery timetable?

And how much of it depends on Hurst? If Ash isn't brought back, then the only returning DT from today's game is Willie Henry. Washington and Black are gone.

I wonder how much weight Poggi has put on; he came in around 260 and if he's going to be a DT and not a DE, he's going to need to add significant weight. Godin's about 280. He's going to need to add weight too to be a DT. With Wormley, Clark, Charlton, and Heitzman at DE, seems more opportunity for PT at the DT position.

Can Bryan Mone step in as a true freshman? Can Hurst get in the rotation next year? Lots of questions here.

Weight isn't everything these days.
Jabreel Black was the starting 3 tech playing at 270 this year. The amount of spread teams has changed the way Mattison deploys his defense. The strong side ends in his scheme all know how to play the 3 tech as all Sam linebackers know how to play weak side end. Hell.... Beyer moved midway through the year from Sam to strong side end once JMFR came back.

And what happens if there is an injury or two or three like this year?

The next man up will still be better than Ash. I have no proof he won't be offered back for a fifth year. Just an educated guess.

And yes I'm willing to bet millions of internetz moniez on it.:cheers:

You're right, for most teams, Black at 275 or so wasn't that bad.

But against OSU, the DL was overmatched. Canzeri and Weisman at Iowa ran well up the middle. Shoot, even UConn had success running between the tackles. Langford for MSU, Abdullah for Nebraska, these guys saw success against UM's defensive front, and I believe being undersized hurt a bit.

I'd rather have a stronger guy at 275 who can move than a weak, fat slob at 315 who can't.

But I'd REALLY like a 315 pound guy who can move and hold his own in the middle like a Mike Martin.

But at the NT position, where you REALLY want a big body, Henry and Pipkins are both 300+ with a fair amount (at worst) of athletic ability. I hope I'm not being overly optimistic that next year's Henry/Pipkins combo is more stout than was the Black/Washington one.

You're right, for most teams, Black at 275 or so wasn't that bad.

But against OSU, the DL was overmatched. Canzeri and Weisman at Iowa ran well up the middle. Shoot, even UConn had success running between the tackles. Langford for MSU, Abdullah for Nebraska, these guys saw success against UM's defensive front, and I believe being undersized hurt a bit.

I'd rather have a stronger guy at 275 who can move than a weak, fat slob at 315 who can't.

But I'd REALLY like a 315 pound guy who can move and hold his own in the middle like a Mike Martin.

You're also talking about offensive lines full of juniors and seniors. We can't forget two years ago Q was playing offensive guard, Willie was playing high school football for Ted gin sr, and jabril black was playing weak side end.

You're also talking about offensive lines full of juniors and seniors. We can't forget two years ago Q was playing offensive guard, Willie was playing high school football for Ted gin sr, and jabril black was playing weak side end.

And a question we'll never have answered I guess is whether or not the plan was ever to move Black inside. Or was it necessitated b/c of lack of depth and/or development.

Who's the last major UM targets out there? I guess Malik McDowell might be the last name UM fans cheer about, or am I missing some others?

And a question we'll never have answered I guess is whether or not the plan was ever to move Black inside. Or was it necessitated b/c of lack of depth and/or development.

Who's the last major UM targets out there? I guess Malik McDowell might be the last name UM fans cheer about, or am I missing some others?

It was planned. Other than McDowell I don't believe there's another dtackle on the board. I wouldn't fret though.

Quote from Peppers: "I am still 100% committed to the University of Michigan and that is the place where I want to go to college. With the rumors about Coach Hoke possibly not being there I need to make sure that I have options and have seen other places in case the University of Michigan decides to go in a different direction. For the sake of my future I need to make sure I have other options. No need to look into it any further! Go Blue and beat TDS"

Peppers, again, reaffirming on Twitterverse and talking of wearing #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back