Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official 2014 Draft Thread

Sorry LKP, but this has to be one of the dumbest quotes of all-time.

Hating on it now is silly because you don't know. Even if you end being right down the road that any of those guys are better, you truly don't really know, just happened to be right.

Using that logic, you could say Matt Millen didn't really know that Calvin Johnson would be any good, he just happened to be right about him. Coming from you who love to push stats to prove all your points, you're saying that there's nothing from a player's college career that helps predict how they'll do in the pros. That is ludicrous!

Sorry LKP, but this has to be one of the dumbest quotes of all-time.

Using that logic, you could say Matt Millen didn't really know that Calvin Johnson would be any good, he just happened to be right about him. Coming from you who love to push stats to prove all your points, you're saying that there's nothing from a player's college career that helps predict how they'll do in the pros. That is ludicrous!

Not really since the percentages are so low from hits and misses. Even the GMs don't know, let alone misinformed people on a message board. Ebron has a good scouting report. So does Dennard. So does Fuller. All the 1st rounders do really. Then things change. Too many variables to actually know based on what they did in college. Tebow would be the greatest NFL player of all time if that were the case.

It's much more than just picking a guy at a certain spot. Fitting the scheme, development, attitude/will of the player once he gets used to the league and coaches, injuries, opportunities to play. Nobody knows

Bellicheck, Newsome, Thompson all have a shit ton of misses too. They have more time as GM and more picks.

And Calvin could have blown out his knee year one and been labeled a bust. You don't know

Last edited:
Not really since the percentages are so low from hits and misses. Even the GMs don't know, let alone misinformed people on a message board. Ebron has a good scouting report. So does Dennard. So does Fuller. All the 1st rounders do really. Then things change. Too many variables to actually know based on what they did in college. Tebow would be the greatest NFL player of all time if that were the case.

It's much more than just picking a guy at a certain spot. Fitting the scheme, development, attitude/will of the player once he gets used to the league and coaches, injuries, opportunities to play. Nobody knows

Bellicheck, Newsome, Thompson all have a shit ton of misses too. They have more time as GM and more picks.

And Calvin could have blown out his knee year one and been labeled a bust. You don't know

I didn't say based on college stats, I said based on college. That includes their stats, but also their ability at their position, their understanding of the game, their work ethic, etc. It was obvious that Tebow couldn't throw, so it was no surprise that he was out of the league after a few years.

I completely agree that it's about fitting the scheme, development, attitude/will of the player, injuries, and opportunities to play. What I'm saying though is that there are certain guys who are much more likely to succeed than others. Also, some of the better teams are more willing to take risks on high risk/reward guys in earlier rounds because they have very few holes.

In regards to Ebron, I think he could potentially be a very good tight end. But even if he is a very good tight end, I think the Lions could've improved their team more by taking Donald, or Dennard, or Haha and then getting a WR in round 2 or 3 who would make close to the same impact as Ebron. So it's not that I think Ebron will be a bad player, it's just that I think the Lions could take a WR in round 2 or 3 who would have a similar impact to Ebron, while still taking a defensive player in the 1st round, therefore improving the team more.

I didn't say based on college stats, I said based on college. That includes their stats, but also their ability at their position, their understanding of the game, their work ethic, etc. It was obvious that Tebow couldn't throw, so it was no surprise that he was out of the league after a few years.

I completely agree that it's about fitting the scheme, development, attitude/will of the player, injuries, and opportunities to play. What I'm saying though is that there are certain guys who are much more likely to succeed than others. Also, some of the better teams are more willing to take risks on high risk/reward guys in earlier rounds because they have very few holes.

In regards to Ebron, I think he could potentially be a very good tight end. But even if he is a very good tight end, I think the Lions could've improved their team more by taking Donald, or Dennard, or Haha and then getting a WR in round 2 or 3 who would make close to the same impact as Ebron. So it's not that I think Ebron will be a bad player, it's just that I think the Lions could take a WR in round 2 or 3 who would have a similar impact to Ebron, while still taking a defensive player in the 1st round, therefore improving the team more.

You still don't know. Donald/Dennard and Ha-Ha could all be worse than Ebron for their teams. Lee and Adams and Allen Robinson and Matthews could suck. It's a complete unknown. And the percentages back me up that even GMs don't truly know with how many teams they miss. Mayhew actually has a good percentage too.

And some GMs have way more picks and years than Mayhew. Thompson and Bellicheck live off Rodgers and Brady. 2005 and 2000/2001. And then held onto them for dear life for a bunch of wins.

Last edited:
You still don't know. Donald/Dennard and Ha-Ha could all be worse than Ebron for their teams. Lee and Adams and Allen Robinson and Matthews could suck. It's a complete unknown. And the percentages back me up that even GMs don't truly know with how many teams they miss. Mayhew actually has a good percentage too.

he does???

And some GMs have way more picks and years than Mayhew. Thompson and Bellicheck live off Rodgers and Brady. 2005 and 2000/2001. And then held onto them for dear life for a bunch of wins.

So in your opinion the draft is complete luck? Yes or no? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying

So in your opinion the draft is complete luck? Yes or no? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying

Alot more depends on when you get picked. It's more the development, opportunities and health. Not complete luck but pretty close. Maybe you pick 1 when their is a Peyton Manning. Maybe you pick 1 when their is a David Carr.

Loving it now is silly because you don't know. Even if you end being right down the road that any of those guys are worse, you truly don't really know, just happened to be right.

FTFY. Funny how it works both ways...

And Jean Bapitse or McGill could turn out better than Fuller or Dennard

Slay and Chris Greenwood could have better 2014s than Fuller and Dennard and Jean Baptiste.

Alot more depends on when you get picked. It's more the development, opportunities and health. Not complete luck but pretty close. Maybe you pick 1 when their is a Peyton Manning. Maybe you pick 1 when their is a David Carr.

So then the Lions have been awful at developing players for the last 15 years? Because there have been plenty of opportunities for guys to play with the lack of talent we had for most of the previous decade. And if you're going to say no, it was health, then maybe we shouldn't pick guys who had major concussions in college, or tore their ACLs, or play like a missile always looking for the big hit instead of focusing on the tackle. Because when you pick guys like that, they're much more likely to get re-injured.

Look at the players strengths/weaknesses, understand how the Lions are going to use them, have faith in the new coaches to develop them and enjoy the ride. Tons of talent on this team. It will be difficult because there is talent everywhere.

This.....this EXACTLY!!!!!

If Ebron is such a horrible blocker, and he's going to line up outside 2/3 of the time like Graham......why not just get a WR later and improve your defense with a top prospect like Ha Ha, Dennard.....ect......

I just don't get it.

So then the Lions have been awful at developing players for the last 15 years? Because there have been plenty of opportunities for guys to play with the lack of talent we had for most of the previous decade. And if you're going to say no, it was health, then maybe we shouldn't pick guys who had major concussions in college, or tore their ACLs, or play like a missile always looking for the big hit instead of focusing on the tackle. Because when you pick guys like that, they're much more likely to get re-injured.

Some times injured players in college don't get injured. Pats just took Easley who had two ACLS.. Is Bellicheck dumb for taking an injury risk in late Round 1.Didn't McGahee and Gore get injured and come back and do great. Some times, troubled WRS (Cris Carter/Randy Moss (college and Vikings late and Oakland) get their act together, sometimes they don't (Titus Young).

This.....this EXACTLY!!!!!

If Ebron is such a horrible blocker, and he's going to line up outside 2/3 of the time like Graham......why not just get a WR later and improve your defense with a top prospect like Ha Ha, Dennard.....ect......

I just don't get it.

Who says the Round 2 WRs will be better than Ebron. Those guys aren't matchup nightmares. Ebron should be a matchup nightmare. But we'll see.

Some times injured players in college don't get injured. Pats just took Easley who had two ACLS.. Is Bellicheck dumb for taking an injury risk in late Round 1.Didn't McGahee and Gore get injured and come back and do great. Some times, troubled WRS (Cris Carter/Randy Moss (college and Vikings late and Oakland) get their act together, sometimes they don't (Titus Young).

Bellichek's pick last night was not looked at favorably by all the analysts that I heard talk about it. They all said Easley should've been a 2nd or 3rd round pick at best because of his injury problems and future risk. So to respond to whether Bellichek made a bad decision or not, I think it was a bad pick for him.

And while it's possible that players can come back from injuries to play well in the pros, or get their act together, it doesn't happen the majority of the time. That is why it is often best to play the percentages unless a player is far above the competition in terms of talent.

The 49ers took Tank Carradine and Marcus Lattimore in last years draft. Both were injured and not likely to play in 2013 (neither did). Both had first round grades prior to getting injured. Here is the difference between the 49ers, NE and the Lions. Those other teams are SB contenders that can take risks because they are already playoff caliber teams and have extra draft picks (49ers had 13 picks going into the 2013 draft).

Who says the Round 2 WRs will be better than Ebron. Those guys aren't matchup nightmares. Ebron should be a matchup nightmare. But we'll see.

With Calvin, Tate, Bush, and Bell we don't need a matchup nightmare. We just need a guy who can consistently beat his man on the outside 1v1. The other problem I have with taking Ebron is what if Calvin or Tate get hurt? I don't think Ebron can consistently line up on the outside as a WR. And if he can't, then we'll have either Ogletree or Durham there again, which I don't think even YOU want that to happen.

The 49ers took Tank Carradine and Marcus Lattimore in last years draft. Both were injured and not likely to play in 2013 (neither did). Both had first round grades prior to getting injured. Here is the difference between the 49ers, NE and the Lions. Those other teams are SB contenders that can take risks because they are already playoff caliber teams and have extra draft picks (49ers had 13 picks going into the 2013 draft).

Lions went to the playoffs and were contenders when they took Broyles. Pick 54 perfect time for that risk. And it was one ACL. The other ACL and achilles is just really bad luck.

Lions needed playmakers badly in 2010 (thanks Millen). Best was a perfect fit. And did well for 22 games.

LeShoure wasn't injured in college.

Back