Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official Iowa vs ][V][ichigan Game Thread

Well, he used to say that Michigan was his dream job. I believe he used to have a clause in one of his contracts that was for Michigan, Notre Dame, or Ohio State

I did not know this.

Do I remember correctly that the Michigan job opened up at the end of the season that Meyer left Florida for health reasons?

Well, you've mentioned Urban Meyer in comparison to Brady Hoke a couple of times over the course of recent games, and I respect your posts; you've stated that you played to a fairly high level and you've been a coach, and your analisys seems to corroborate that to me, inasmuchas what I know about the game...

That said...

Has Urban Meyer EVER been an option for Michigan?

Could he ever be?

My understanding is that Ohio State was and had always been his dream job...

I don't see Meyer as EVER being a target for UM. My mention of Meyer is only as comparison in that when OSU was down, they got Meyer, a man at the top of the coaching pyramid. When UM was down, it got Hoke, a man with a losing record.

In fact, it seems Meyer's dream job was ND, not necessarily OSU.

UM dug itself a gigantic hole when it brought in RR and didn't call it a rebuild. The losses and the debacle that came from it the cumulative effect of everything was too much, and the vitriol that developed between factions of the fan base was just poison to the program.

This is why if you go back and watch Dave Brandon's announcement of Brady Hoke as HC, you see his mention of Hoke knowing the words to the Victors and knowing his way around AA without a map.

As people piled on RR, they cited shit that quite simply didn't matter: his giving away the #1 jersey, saying "ain't" and what not in his pressers, etc.

OSU went out and got a winner. Wisconsin got a winner without ties to the school. Michigan got a loser with ties to the school. Say what you want about the Sugar Bowl. Look at Hoke & Borges and their recent history. Was that the rule or the exception?

As a former coach, I'll tell you, the coordinators are of EXTREME importance. You don't have the time you wish you did for X's and O's on both sides of the ball. But unlike Hoke, I had a hand in EVERY game plan my coordinators developed, even at the High School level. And I wore a headset. And I told my OC when I thought he was out of his fucking mind.

Last edited:
Though while UM fans are feeling sorry for themselves, look at Florida.

They lost to Georgia Southern today, a team that didn't complete a single fucking pass!

This is why if you go back and watch Dave Brandon's announcement of Brady Hoke as HC, you see his mention of Hoke knowing the words to the Victors and knowing his way around AA without a map.

Shit.

If I had known that that would be all it would take, I would have applied myself.

I'm WAAAAY better than Hoke at both of those.

What's saving Hoke in my mind is his recruiting. Somehow this guy is getting top recruits to come play in AA.

But Borges HAS to be out as OC.

If Borges comes back for one more year, I want it with Morris as QB. At least then we'd see Borges' OLinemen, RBs and now QB and see what he does with it. But again, I'm not betting on much. I just don't think the guy is very good.

I'd be willing to bet that Morris plays more intelligently than Gardner. I only say that, because it's obvious that Gardner is an idiot.

Hoke was always a great recruiter including when he was here as an assistant

Brandon knew that

I do wonder who else Brandon seriously considered for hc

Last edited:
Pic of devin after the fumble in Detroit news

It looks like chris sungketaeyhad to help pick him up he was so dejected

And a failure of Devin to get the ball out of his hand. And a failure of Funchess to catch it when Devin occasionally delivers it. And a failure of the right side of the line to make a fucking block all day. Stir it all up and you have a nice big bowl of shit. Week after week after week.

You know why DG ends up standing back there and just holding the ball so often? Because Borges draws up plays that are max protect and only have two WRs running routes 80% of the fucking time. Borges has created an atmosphere of failure for DG. Denard regressed under Borge's tutelage and now DG is doing the exact same thing. Borges is a fucking terrible OC.

You know why DG ends up standing back there and just holding the ball so often? Because Borges draws up plays that are max protect and only have two WRs running routes 80% of the fucking time. Borges has created an atmosphere of failure for DG. Denard regressed under Borge's tutelage and now DG is doing the exact same thing. Borges is a fucking terrible OC.

Good post.

Agree 100%, but Devin cannot make a clear decision for himself when nothing is there. Evrytime there is a lane to take off through, he holds the ball a second longer than he should and the lane closes and Gardner decides to finally run. He is crushed and beaten and its quite frustrating to watch. Another thing that bugs me is that when he does decide to take off, he never keeps the defenders honest by at least faking like he is going to throw. He's as predictable as the offense he is commanded to run.

I said the same thing with the Lions last week and I'll say the same thing this week for Michigan. When you are winning/tied at half time and you score 0 points in the second half, that's on your coaching 100%.

As for the coaching, it should be pretty obvious to everyone that Hoke is a cheerleader/recruiter and nothing more. He doesn't even have a headset on 80% of the fucking time, dude has hardly any impact on the game. Borges/Mattison are the real coaches on this team and that doesn't bode well.

I said the same thing with the Lions last week and I'll say the same thing this week for Michigan. When you are winning/tied at half time and you score 0 points in the second half, that's on your coaching 100%.

As for the coaching, it should be pretty obvious to everyone that Hoke is a cheerleader/recruiter and nothing more. He doesn't even have a headset on 80% of the fucking time, dude has hardly any impact on the game. Borges/Mattison are the real coaches on this team and that doesn't bode well.

It can work if the guys Hoke can recruit can be put into a depth chart that makes sense and play for coordinators who can gameplan and scheme to use their skill. More often than not, it's the players that have an impact more than the scheme. But shit, I'd like to think Michigan has better players than Akron, UConn, PSU, Iowa, Northwestern, and Nebraska.

Don't forget last year too. UM didn't do jack against OSU in the 2nd half of that game, blowing a game they should have won.

But for as long as the depth chart remains fucked up as it's been all year with not knowing who was going to play OL, Fitz starting every week, and the gameplans inexplicably absent from the offensive side of the ball mostly, we're in for more Saturdays like this one.

I can see Brandon giving Hoke a 4th year. I CANNOT imagine Al Borges being back.

Last edited:
Agree 100%, but Devin cannot make a clear decision for himself when nothing is there. Evrytime there is a lane to take off through, he holds the ball a second longer than he should and the lane closes and Gardner decides to finally run. He is crushed and beaten and its quite frustrating to watch. Another thing that bugs me is that when he does decide to take off, he never keeps the defenders honest by at least faking like he is going to throw. He's as predictable as the offense he is commanded to run.

I fully believe the hesitation to take off is all the coaches fault. Look what they did to Denard. He hardly ever scrambled under this regime. He always looked hesitant to scramble. Instead he ran around behind the line of scrimmage and threw arm punts. There is a mountain of evidence pointing right at the coaches causing this problem.

Back