Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official New ][V][ichigan Head Coach Search Thread

Theory on an NFL board is that this is Harbaugh's agent's way of making sure SF doesn't trade him for too much of a pick. If they think he'll go to Michigan if they trade a 1st round pick, maybe they'd trade for something less hoping to get something rather than nothing.

Harbaugh would have to approve any trade. So he can always say no and force the terms of the deal.

That's okay. Some derelict buckeye on that 2016 team will trade his golden pants for some free ink and some crack cocaine and that entire season will eventually be vacated.

No, Rocky, that will definitely not happen.

If Harbaugh comes, it is unlikely, but not unthinkable, that M will beat OSU in 2015. In 2016, M will be much improved but they will still not have what it takes to win in The Shoe. M will beat the Buckeyes in 2017 in AA.

If Harbaugh doesn't come, you guys are fucked.

Yes, because we've never seen a completely dysfunctional Michigan team roll into Columbus and give the Buckeyes all they could handle. I know that the game this year wasn't closer than the score would indicate or anything, but what in the hell makes you so sure that OSU is a lock to win that game for the next two years? You're far from world-beaters, you may want to quit drinking the kool aid.

Yes, because we've never seen a completely dysfunctional Michigan team roll into Columbus and give the Buckeyes all they could handle. I know that the game this year wasn't closer than the score would indicate or anything, but what in the hell makes you so sure that OSU is a lock to win that game for the next two years? You're far from world-beaters, you may want to quit drinking the kool aid.

I'm the first guy to say that no matter what, the OSU v. Michigan game is going to be hotly contested. Both teams play with pride, bring out the best in one another and nothing is given. Harbaugh will make a huge difference but the talent gap at the moment is significant and widening. Meyer's recruiting classes have been ridiculous and the 2015 class coming in is his best yet. Harbaugh will be great for you guys but there is a lot of ground to make up.

Last edited:
How come people are treating the 6 yr/$48MM-$49MM offer as a bonafide thing? According to he freep, it's based on anonymous sources, the UM AD has refused to comment on it, which is mostly consistent with the approach they've taken so far, though I think they did deny the cutcliffe rumor.

Is it getting more credibility because it's now been widely reported?

How come people are treating the 6 yr/$48MM-$49MM offer as a bonafide thing? According to he freep, it's based on anonymous sources, the UM AD has refused to comment on it, which is mostly consistent with the approach they've taken so far, though I think they did deny the cutcliffe rumor.

Not that I'm one to give media outlets the benefit of the doubt, but the simple fact that those outlets that have refrained from reporting on the things that some others have been speculating on all along makes me feel like there's something there. I still don't expect it to happen, but I'm a little more optimistic about it now than I was this time yesterday.

It's all over the place though - multiple media giving that number. And besides, if it's only an "offer," it still preempts any NFL offers and sets a high bar.

LOL I agree. Who the Hell is CBS 5 Arizona and why would they be the first to report or give a crap? Out of all the people following this situation some place not even close to AA and hours from SF breaks the case with a offer.

BUT....With Harbaugh saying he is "considering" UM that adds something to the table. However after how this has played out, I get the feeling Ol'Jim is pulling one out Les Miles play book and using his Alma Mater to leverage more money elsewhere. I will now be shocked if he comes to AA, I don't get a good feeling about the talking heads running their mouth about this for the next few weeks. Harbaugh is just playing a game. If the money doesn't come in elsewhere, he has UM to fall back on for a few years. I also fear if he does come its just for a few years until a contending NFL team offers up a better offer.

I'm the first guy to say that no matter what, the OSU v. Michigan game is going to be hotly contested. Both teams play with pride, bring out the best in one another and nothing is given. Harbaugh will make a huge difference but the talent gap at the moment is significant and widening. Meyer's recruiting classes have been ridiculous and the 2015 class coming in is his best yet. Harbaugh will be great for you guys but there is a lot of ground to make up.

By 2017 Urbie will have a flare up of his health problems in Cbus and have to step down. But don't worry because there is no place he would rather coach than OSU, or Florida, or.....

It's all over the place though - multiple media giving that number. And besides, if it's only an "offer," it still preempts any NFL offers and sets a high bar.

?@DesmondHoward: Yesterday I learned that wherever Harbaugh is coaching next season (NCAA/NFL) he's going to get at least $8 mil per. #barhasbeenset?

BUT....With Harbaugh saying he is "considering" UM that adds something to the table. ...

where did you see that? the Freep reported that he refused to comment on the offer, confirm/deny, etc.

I guess the fact that it's so widely reported and no one has come out to quash it (so far) give some creedence to it.

presumably the leaker was the UM Ath Dept, or a third party privy to the offer (booster? someone at the search firm?)... was it a tactical move to scare away other potential offers, or some guy with a big mouth?

Last edited by a moderator:
where did you see that? the Freep reported that he refused to comment on the offer, confirm/deny, etc.

I guess the fact that it's so widely reported and no one has come out to quash it (so far) give some creedence to it.

presumably the leaker was the UM Ath Dept, or a third party privy to the offer (booster? someone at the search firm?)... was it a tactical move to scare away other potential offers, or some guy with a big mouth?

I don't think he said that. He hasn't answered (that we know of), therefore "he's considering".

He probably wants to hear other NFL offers 1st and at least one NFL team won't want to talk until the season is over. You'd think they'd want to squash the idea of colleges pursuing desirable NFL coaches. It would make sense for them to stall and make it as painful for Michigan as possible.

Last edited:
I want Harbaugh as much as the next guy, but... I have to say, as time goes on, the amount of the offer concerns me more and more.

maybe it's not all guaranteed cash, and it's back-loaded with performance incentives. I hope.

I mean, I would be surprised if Harbaugh wasn't successful here, but still business and sports history is riddled by guys who "made it" just to cash in and coast to retirement on huge deals they were able to negotiate out of desperate companies/teams/programs.

I could understand an offer that would place him among the Top 10 salaries in CFB, or maybe even Top 5, but #1 overall by almost an extra $1MM?

Back