Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2017 Season Debacle, trades, releases and fired thread

Alex as well agree, not really looking forward to McCann being the every day catcher either. Hope they can find a better option than McCann next year, maybe they'll just sign Alex again after trading him. Rental

McCann has been really bad, but he's not alone in that category! I doubt they sign anybody of substance in free agency, so it is likely we are stuck with him for the next several years. I wouldn't mind trading Alex then bringing him back.

McCann has been really bad, but he's not alone in that category! I doubt they sign anybody of substance in free agency, so it is likely we are stuck with him for the next several years. I wouldn't mind trading Alex then bringing him back.

Several years I hope not. Holy crap. He is playing bad but history says he can't hit vs RHP. Not just this season. I'm okay with him vs LHP but he needs another guy to go on the other side..

Trading Avila is pointless. Most teams would view him as a backup catcher. The best we could expect in return is a questionable reliever. And for a team not ready to compete, a questionable reliever is nothing!

Let Avila finish out the year and mentor McCann and work with the young pitchers. There is more to gain doing this than thinking we would get anything of substance in return, especially with Dumb and Dumber running the Tigers.

no, we don't...but we can wonder...which is what I was doing out loud.

It sure sounded like bitching....but you can call it an observation if you would like.

Verlander and Cabrera are two players that are worthy of respect and admiration from Tiger fans. You have berated them both since they both signed their extensions. Enough is enough. Disdain is disdain and your tune hasn't changed. There is no "we can wonder". Because there are quite a few that don't wonder.

Verlander and Cabrera are two players that are worthy of respect and admiration from Tiger fans. You have berated them both since they both signed their extensions. Enough is enough. Disdain is disdain and your tune hasn't changed. There is no "we can wonder". Because there are quite a few that don't wonder.

Why is it that when someone doesn't fall in line with your personal thoughts, you act like this? What is wrong with him not liking certain players/contracts(whatever the case)?

I like Miggy, but I honestly have had some of the same questions in regards to his leadership(or possible lack of). You're right, we aren't in the clubhouse. All we can go by is what we see on the field and in the dugout. Nothing I like more that seeing our star first baseman and face of the team playing grab ass with a runner on first when we're down 7-1. He seems like a nice likable guy, but I wouldn't be upset seeing a little more fire out of him.

I respect what they did for the team...they were great players and they might still have some greatness left in them (I'm sure Miggy will have a few great seasons down the road). That said, I am still entitled to my opinion. I didn't like the contract extensions and was vocal about it. What's wrong with that? As of today, it appears that I was probably right. Just about every baseball person says that both of these guys are untradeable. If the contracts weren't a bad idea, don't you think someone would take them on? Especailly Miggy...he is only 1.5 years into that extension.

Nobody has access to the clubhouse, not even the reporters.
Teams have a do not enter period for whatever the amount of time 15/30 minutes after a game.
Nobody knows who is yelling at whom for a shitty game, or just in frustration, or just taking it all in stride, showering saying few short words to media and then getting out.

Several years ago early on with the Tigers and maybe with the Marlins,
Miggy was a walking and ticking time bomb. Nobody fucked with him, opposing players especially. I remember when Kinsler was with the Rangers, and there had been some shit brewing with the two teams. Kinsler gets to first and says something to Miggy. Miggy says fuck you to Kinsler, read his lips, and gave Kinsler a hip check and knocked him a couple of feet right off the first base bag.
I think Miggy has matured and with his success, along with his earlier transgressions, keeps a lid on his temper, and past few years has gone out of his way to be a much better teammate, friendlier to opposing teams players and gone out of his way to endear himself to all fans, not just Tigers fans and the children, but also opposing teams fans.
Miggy is one of those players who leads by example. We all hear that expression, but it means always with the right play, throw to the right base, hitting behind the runner, all of that and more to be a professional.
Miggy came out earlier this season about how he has not been 100% since the WBC. So at different times he has had back problems, hip problems, oblique problems, hamstring problems, knee and ankle problems which leads to a down year by his standards. I read he is trying different approaches in his swing, flat footed, and recently, no load, just the foot lifts with toes still on the ground in the batters box. God knows he is trying and playing in pain most if not all of this year.

Kaline was that kind of player, the ultimate team player, knowing what to do in every, that is every game situation for the entire game.
Norm Cash was the funny man who could also swing a good bat. At times he would go grab the microphone for the singing of the national anthem and start singing a cowboy song with his Texas drawl.
The players who lead on the field with that rah rah, and yelling at players, was Bill Freehan, and Dick McAuliffe. Willie and Gates were demonstrative but also laid back just enough to get the other teams attention in case some pitcher was going to do something stupid, which they did, like throwing at a Tigers player. Different game from today.

Even the Trammell, Whitaker, Morris and Gibson Tigers. Tram and Lou wanted to beat the opposing team right there on the diamond, Morris was a loud demonstrative pitcher on the mound, and we all know how Gibby played, with the football mentality and rah rah on the field.

What goes on with the current Tigers, like many teams is that there isn't as much of the leading on the field with that earlier era emotions.

Same with the managers. Gone are Sparky, Earl Weaver, Billy Martin, Bobby Cox, and Leyland (one of the, if not the last) type of managers, extremely confrontational with umpires.

Millions of dollars for utility players and 1 inning relievers. Times have changed. Billions of dollars in major league baseball. If the players don't get the huge salaries, then it all goes to the owners like the old days.
When Mantle won the triple crown in 1956, then he had a great year in 1957 but not the same as '56 and the Yankees wanted to give him a pay cut!!!

I would like to find out how many players are making 10 million or more per year, 15 million or more per year, or 20 million or more per year.
It's prevalent in baseball and basketball more than football and hockey I would guess.
and in all sports, the contracts and large salaries are given for what has been accomplished, without regard to how they will perform in the future, Will the player continue to perform with great seasons, slump, get serious injuries (which to a degree are insured), age into their 30's and production drops some, or become complacent with 50 to 100 million still coming to them.
Some players become complacent when they get multi year contract. Not all but enough of them for fans to wonder wtf happened to ...........

Why is it that when someone doesn't fall in line with your personal thoughts, you act like this? What is wrong with him not liking certain players/contracts(whatever the case)?

I like Miggy, but I honestly have had some of the same questions in regards to his leadership(or possible lack of). You're right, we aren't in the clubhouse. All we can go by is what we see on the field and in the dugout. Nothing I like more that seeing our star first baseman and face of the team playing grab ass with a runner on first when we're down 7-1. He seems like a nice likable guy, but I wouldn't be upset seeing a little more fire out of him.

Am I complaining about a player? Nope. In this case, I am backing them up. I cannot win with you. Hmmmm.

Is this now, 2017? I always had the theory something personal was going on based on his lack of hitting. This would do it. Hope everyone stays safe.

Guys it was mentioned but sparingly.
We don't know if Miggy or the Tigers asked the media not to bring any more attention to it.
When he is thousands of miles away from his mom and family, extended, etc
that has to weigh on his mind.
Add in his physical health issues, it's no wonder he isn't hitting like we are used to seeing.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2017/07/miguel_cabrera_venezuela_threa.html#incart_river_index
Miguel Cabrera speaks out on death threats, bribes paid to protect his mom from kidnapping.
Mlive

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/m...it-tigers-miguel-cabrera-venezuela/469506001/
Miguel Cabrera blasts Venezuela over crisis: 'I'm tired of paying money' to protect my mom.
Freep

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...rera-native-venezuela-held-hostage/103613166/
Tigers’ Cabrera: Native Venezuela ‘being held hostage’.
Detnews

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2017/7...a-death-threats-venezuelan-politics-instagram
Miguel Cabrera speaks candidly about his Venezuelan home: ‘They’ll kill me.’
Bribes, death threats, and a political climate set to blow.
BYBTB

http://detroitsportsnation.com/detr...aying-quiet-political-unrest-venezuela/94284/
Miguel Cabrera on going to Venezuela: “They’ll kill me”.
DSN

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...cabrera-blasts-meddling-venezuelan-government
Tigers' Miguel Cabrera protests Venezuelan 'dictators,' but worried about family.
espn

Last edited:
Is this now, 2017? I always had the theory something personal was going on based on his lack of hitting. This would do it. Hope everyone stays safe.

Ever since Magglio's down season when it later came out that his wife was fighting cancer, I've tried to hold off too much criticism when a guy suddenly drops in numbers.

Tigers mid season A.L. rankings.
OFFENSE
■ 9th in batting average (.254)
■ 8th in runs (409)
■ 7th in slugging percentage (.425)
■ 9th in home runs (104)

STARTING PITCHING
■ 12th in ERA (4.78)
■ 12th in WHIP (1.44)
■ 14th in opponent?s average (.276)
■ 15th in home runs allowed (64)

RELIEF PITCHING
■ 15th in ERA (5.04)
■ 13th in WHIP (1.44)
■ 11th in opponent?s average (.256)
■ 13th in home runs allowed (45)

It honestly wouldn't surprise me at all if miggy decides to retire early, family comes first. And it seems to be a Detroit legacy to some degree for Detroit greatest of all timers to hang em up early

It honestly wouldn't surprise me at all if miggy decides to retire early, family comes first. And it seems to be a Detroit legacy to some degree for Detroit greatest of all timers to hang em up early

why...to go back to Venezuela? He has enough money to move every person in his extended family to a safe place. That's what I would do.

I like this one about Victor..

Why he’ll be traded: He won't be.

Then why add him to your list mlive. Lol.

Back