Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2021-2022 Free Agents Trades Rule 5 Arbitration Moves

OPS Away has substantial value and Kinsler delivered over his Tigers? years, fortunately. Career wise, there is a substantial negative difference.

Baez has a positive OPS Away for his career. His .311 OBP from 2018-2021 is not impressive.

Six years is a longer contract than I?m comfortable with.

Good thing for Kinsler it was such a drag that he finished his career 20th in JAWS for 2B. He's basically Lou Whitaker except he could hit lefties...he just hit better at home regardless of where home was.

Good thing for Kinsler it was such a drag that he finished his career 20th in JAWS for 2B. He's basically Lou Whitaker except he could hit lefties...he just hit better at home regardless of where home was.

Most guys do. Focusing only on away games is just dumb imo.

My theory is that generally guys hit better at home because of home cooking, own bed, family etc. So its realistic that moving from one team to another said player will still have home cooking, own bed and family.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2021/12/03/saturday-survey-7/
SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

The Detroit Tigers were active during this abbreviated Hot Stove season.
They added 3 new players ? one via trade and the other 2 from free agency. Ownership and the Front Office came through on their promise to add starting pitching, catching and a shortstop.

Eduardo Rodriguez and Javier Baez were ranked as top free agents, coming in at the top 20 and top 10 respectively. The Tigers have spent $217 million so far, ranking them 5th in money spent among all 30 teams.

The Tigers still claim that they are searching for another starting pitcher and potentially an outfielder. Their biggest issues for the coming year is to address their poor defense, lackluster offense and developing their young pitching staff.

However, since the CBA deadline expired, the Tigers and the rest of MLB cannot progress in completing their rosters until a new agreement is ratified.

What do you, the fans, think about the team?s moves so far?

How do you feel about the Tigers' signings so far?

1. Thrilled

2. Generally happy

3. Wary

4. Disappointed

VOTE

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2021/1...-baez-mlb-free-agents-rob-manfred-lockout-cba
BYBTB Podcast 105: Javy brings the magic, MLB brings the pain. 66 minutes.
The editorial staff of Bless You Boys talks baseball from a Tigers? perspective.

Thanks for joining us once again. Brandon Day and Ashley MacLennan are back to talk about the Javy B?ez signing, what it means for the team on the field, and what, if anything it says about ownership and the front office?s plans for the future.

Then, we?ll have to get into less entertaining fare. After a really fun, and somewhat exhausting, week of free agent transactions, MLB did what it does best, undercutting the whole enterprise by locking out the players. Even better, despite literally everyone in the sport knowing the lockout was coming, Commissioner Rob Manfred issued a statement pretending this was some kind of last minute decision done in ?self-defense? of the owners. So yeah, if you wondered how contentious this is going to become, we?re already off to a very disingenuous start from owners and their agent.

This isn?t going to be much fun.

So we?ll chat a bit about the history of labor strife between the owners and players. Then we?ll get into some of the current issues and how they?ve developed over the past two CBA?s stretching back a decade. Then a little discussion of some of Manfred?s disasters recently that have really unified the players and undercut any hope for good faith from ownership?s side. We?ll also talk about why the radically changed media landscape compared to 1994 makes it almost impossible to control the narrative, despite national baseball writers too often being little more than vessels for MLB?s owners? message in covering the subject.

Frankly, this lockout is going to go on for a good while, and it?s hard to even get too engaged with the topic knowing that we probably won?t see any movement, even in the most optimistic scenarios, until the New Year. We?ll try and bring in a guest or two to shed further light on the subject as things start to develop.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2021/12/04/deeper-discussions-10/
DEEPER DISCUSSIONS.
Totally Tigers

Detroit Tigers? GM, Al Avila has indicated that the team may look at adding another outfielder to the mix.

Currently, they have Robbie Grossman but his contract expires after the 2022 season.

They also have Akil Baddoo, Daz Cameron, Derek Hill and Victor Reyes.
Experts are divided as to whether Riley Greene will make the roster early in the year or have to wait a number of months while he gets some seasoning in AAA under their new manager.

There are the usual questions about spotty defense, questionable offense and injury issues. Do the Tigers also need another veteran? Currently, Grossman is the only one who qualifies.

Additionally, the Tigers have been focusing in on strength up the middle.
They now have a new catcher and shortstop to work with Jonathan Schoop. Do they need a stronger centerfielder?

Also consider whether money for an outfielder is better spent elsewhere.

Today?s blog addresses this dilemma and allows readers to share their thoughts in more detail. And hopefully, to actively engage with others by responding to their posts and creating back-and-forth discussion threads. The more the merrier!

For this one blog only, you?ve got 10 sentences max to share your thoughts.
Of course, you can respond to as many other readers as you want.

TT will supply the ammunition. One thought-provoking question. Several options provided. One hard choice to be selected. One vote.

Ready?

What should the Tigers do? Should they keep who is already on the roster or should they look to add another player?

Should the Tigers keep their current outfielders or add a new one?

1. Keep the current outfielders.

2. Trade for or sign a new outfielder.

VOTE

Will the Detroit Tigers be signing more big-name free agents once the lockout ends? Based on something Chris Ilich said in Javier B?ez?s introductory press conference, the answer to that question could very well be yes.

?I would encourage you to ask Al what the going-forward plans are,? said the club?s owner and CEO. ?Obviously, I?m supportive of our plans as an organization. I?m very pleased with what we?ve accomplished to date.?

Asked to follow up on his boss?s comments, Avila said, ?We still have work to do,? adding that ?It doesn?t stop with this move here.?

Make of that what you will.

Fangraphs

I?m relieved that Kinsler, as an RHH, could hit LHP. Whitaker, ranked 13 career in JAWS, and with H/A batting splits that are far more consistent, is definitely not ?basically Ian Kinsler.?

But, then, my post was not in any way disrespectful of Kinsler in the first place.

I don?t think that it?s a focus on away games, but more like a consideration of them.

For you I'd say that, but some feel it's a far more meaningful metric. I just have trouble with them basically dismissing the home park all together.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...cody-stavenhagen/id1557916983?i=1000544073555
Turning The Corner Tigers Podcast Episode 40: Tigers Ink Baez As MLB Enters Lockout.

The Detroit Tigers are hyped to have gotten their man in Javier Baez. The Athletic's Cody Stavenhagen and co-host Kieran Steckley go deep on the signing.
Other topics include Miguel Cabrera's impact (16:00), Dustin Garneau (27:00) and a few notes on the MLB lockout (30:40).

Back