Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2023 Spring Training Thread

The Tigers have claimed RHP Freddy Pacheco off waivers from St. Louis and optioned him to Triple A Toledo.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=pachec000fre

To make room on the 40-man roster, LHP Tarik Skubal has been placed on the 60-day IL.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023...-pacheco-place-tarik-skubal-on-60-day-il.html
Tigers Claim Freddy Pacheco, Place Tarik Skubal On 60-Day IL.
MLBTR

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2023/0...cardinals-tarik-skubal-goes-to-60-day-il.html
Tigers claim pitcher off waivers from Cardinals; Tarik Skubal goes to 60-day IL.
Mlive

Last edited:
https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/03/14/watercooler-wednesday-76/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Today, another opportunity for readers to discuss the hottest topics in a forum where thoughtful dialog and a variety of opinions are welcomed.

Let?s create some running conversational threads. And for those of you back in actual offices, here?s a question to take with you ? or use via Zoom ? as you talk to your co-workers.

Here is today?s topic??..

There is an upheaval in the sports broadcasting industry going on. Times are changing and the corporations that broadcast games are finding that televised baseball games are no longer profitable to them.

This is best exemplified by what is going on with the Diamond Sports Group which owns Bally Sports Detroit. Diamond is expected to declare bankruptcy within days.

Is it believed that Diamond will try to re-negotiate the contracts it has with over 14 MLB teams (and there are hockey and basketball contracts, too). It is also believed that Diamond will simply walk away from approximately 6 teams, leaving those fans without a way of watching their teams. The Tigers are not expected to be one of those organizations.

These broadcast contracts are one of the biggest revenue streams for baseball teams. The loss of these contracts will deliver a major hit to many of these MLB organizations. (Keep in mind that Bally also broadcasts the Red Wings games which means the Ilitch family will take a double hit.)

The reasons for the recent decline of regional sports networks are many. For Diamond, part of it was industry consolidation that involved both Disney and Fox Sports. But also, lower viewer numbers. Lastly, the change from satellite/cable to the ability to stream games from anywhere and anytime has more and more people cutting the cord.

In all cases, every baseball team that is part of Bally will take a hit. For those teams who will be left high and dry, MLB plans on stepping in to broadcast their games until they are able to renegotiate contracts.

How do you watch the Tigers? What are your thoughts about your options for watching games?

How do you currently watch the Tiger games?

1. Bally Sports Detroit

2. MLB.tv

3. National tv networks

4. Other streaming apps like Apple, YouTube, etc.

5. Don't watch the games.

VOTE

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/03/14/watercooler-wednesday-76/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Today, another opportunity for readers to discuss the hottest topics in a forum where thoughtful dialog and a variety of opinions are welcomed.

Let?s create some running conversational threads. And for those of you back in actual offices, here?s a question to take with you ? or use via Zoom ? as you talk to your co-workers.

Here is today?s topic??..

There is an upheaval in the sports broadcasting industry going on. Times are changing and the corporations that broadcast games are finding that televised baseball games are no longer profitable to them.

This is best exemplified by what is going on with the Diamond Sports Group which owns Bally Sports Detroit. Diamond is expected to declare bankruptcy within days.

Is it believed that Diamond will try to re-negotiate the contracts it has with over 14 MLB teams (and there are hockey and basketball contracts, too). It is also believed that Diamond will simply walk away from approximately 6 teams, leaving those fans without a way of watching their teams. The Tigers are not expected to be one of those organizations.

These broadcast contracts are one of the biggest revenue streams for baseball teams. The loss of these contracts will deliver a major hit to many of these MLB organizations. (Keep in mind that Bally also broadcasts the Red Wings games which means the Ilitch family will take a double hit.)

The reasons for the recent decline of regional sports networks are many. For Diamond, part of it was industry consolidation that involved both Disney and Fox Sports. But also, lower viewer numbers. Lastly, the change from satellite/cable to the ability to stream games from anywhere and anytime has more and more people cutting the cord.

In all cases, every baseball team that is part of Bally will take a hit. For those teams who will be left high and dry, MLB plans on stepping in to broadcast their games until they are able to renegotiate contracts.

How do you watch the Tigers? What are your thoughts about your options for watching games?

How do you currently watch the Tiger games?

1. Bally Sports Detroit

2. MLB.tv

3. National tv networks

4. Other streaming apps like Apple, YouTube, etc.

5. Don't watch the games.

VOTE

I used to watch on Bally and before that FSD. I cut the cord from cable over the winter and now have Youtube TV. I also watched on some streaming (probably illegal) last year but that service has since been shut down. I may end up not watching any games this year :(

I remember watching games on PASS. MLB.tv is a fortune even if you follow a team that is good. Same with the streaming the site I went to not working any more. Bally sports app, lol.

I might just go MLB audio again, $29 for the year. You can also watch 7,000 streamed Minor League games - I think that's new.

I remember watching games on PASS. MLB.tv is a fortune even if you follow a team that is good. Same with the streaming the site I went to not working any more. Bally sports app, lol.

I might just go MLB audio again, $29 for the year. You can also watch 7,000 streamed Minor League games - I think that's new.

I'm a sub. I like that all games are available on audio. Looking forward to the reaction to the Terminator Behind the Plate.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Eduardo Rodriguez is scheduled to start for the Tigers on Sunday against the Nationals in West Palm Beach, manager A.J. Hinch said. That would rule him out of pitching for Venezuela in a potential World Baseball Classic final matchup next Tuesday.

Detroit Tigers manager A. J. Hinch taking control and setting priorities for the team, not for a single player.

Jason Beck

Venezuela is in touch with the Tigers front office, and conversations were described to ESPN as ?fluid? ? There are a lot of legal/insurance implications with Cabrera?s continued participation, particularly now that Venezuela has all but guaranteed a spot in the quarterfinals.

Because we report all sides, a League source told ESPN that the position of the Detroit Tigers is that there are ?no restrictions? on Cabrera?s participation in the #WorldBaseballClassic

espn

Back