Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers close to signing Rajai Davis

Some of you need to realize that you can't have an All-Star at every position.

The guy hits left handed pitching well and is blazing on the bases. He'd be a great platoon player.

Rajai Davis has agreed to a two-year deal with the Detroit Tigers per industry source.

Rajai Davis has agreed to a two-year deal with the Detroit Tigers per industry source.

Yeah I can verify this one although I really didn't want to lol. Move doesn't make the most sense right now in term of team needs but hey.

Morrison would make Dirks a bench player. Dirks pinch hits for Iglesias. And if he has to play 1B, then Dirks starts in LF.

I would be fine with that, but if he is going to be your every day LF just get rid of Dirks.

He definitely adds depth to the bench BUT he was said to be looking for a starting role in free agency so I don't envision him just starting against left handed pitchers for us.

Some of you need to realize that you can't have an All-Star at every position.

The guy hits left handed pitching well and is blazing on the bases. He'd be a great platoon player.

He sucks and does not fit this team. This is the 2nd (or even 3rd) blunder DD has committed this off season.

We need a left handed hitter who hits HRs and takes a walk. Davis isn't either of those. We also need someone that could feel in at 1B in case Cabrera is injured or if Castellanos is sent down (moved Miggy back to 3B).

It is called roster flexibility.
I agree that we could use some more power in the lineup, but VMart can play 1B for us when Miggy needs a rest. If Castellanos flames out in ST or early on, we'll likely use a Castellanos/Lombardozzi/Kelly platoon and be trading for a 3B at the deadline. The roster we enter ST and the season with is almost 100% certain to be different from the one we finish the year with.

Not sure I agree with the 9 to 10M price range over 2 years for a 4th OF'er to be honest.

Seems cheap enough for me. I'm sure Rebbiv will continue to take a dump all over this thread though...

9:02am: Davis' two-year deal is in the $9-10MM range, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (on Twitter). That number continues a surprising increase in the going rate for a fourth outfielder, as Nate McLouth recently signed for $10.75MM over two years with the Nationals.

I guess Nate McLouth got $10.75M over 2 years for the same type of role for the Nationals so. Looks to be the same type deal 2 years $9.5-$10M.

Fuck you DD, this is fucking moronic.

We need defense, OBP, and power, and he goes and signs a guy that does fucking none of that.

FUCK YOU

Last edited:
Seems cheap enough for me. I'm sure Rebbiv will continue to take a dump all over this thread though...

9:02am: Davis' two-year deal is in the $9-10MM range, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (on Twitter). That number continues a surprising increase in the going rate for a fourth outfielder, as Nate McLouth recently signed for $10.75MM over two years with the Nationals.

Seriously, I have explained my opinion and backed it up. You have an issue with me not liking this move, then tough. I am entitled to have an opinion.

Have I taken a personal assault at you? No.

These players as we've seen with second tier pitchers are getting more $$$$ than previously for similar/comp type players.

Tigers were intent on getting a RH bat to platoon with Dirks. and intent on getting better running on the bases.

So he gets 25/30% starts vs. lefties and maybe another 5/10% starts vs. righties he might have had previous success against.

They are counting on bounce back seasons from Dirks and his nagging minor knee injury from 2013.

Hope it works out.

Last edited:
And again, bookmark this thread. We can re-visit it at All Star Break or at the end of the year.

I don't mind this signing given the finances, LF will cost us 5m total and we should get decent production out of the spot.

davis had a .383 OBP vs LHP last year, .363 over the last 3 years.

also, I don't think the park affects every player the same, if you're a power hitter you don't want to play in comerica but if you make a lot of contact more hits drop in that big OF. also, 45-51 in SB's is big as well.

not a superstar but I think we can get good production in LF with a platoon of Dirks/Davis.

Seriously, I have explained my opinion and backed it up. You have an issue with me not liking this move, then tough. I am entitled to have an opinion.

Have I taken a personal assault at you? No.

I like the data you provide here, and generally find/found your posts to be good, but you have become a real Debbie Downer and thread killer lately. You don't just state your opinion and move on, you restate it again, and again, and again... page after page. We get it, you hate the move, and you have legitimate reasons why. Simply seeing you say the same thing over and over is what I was criticizing.

I like the data you provide here, and generally find/found your posts to be good, but you have become a real Debbie Downer and thread killer lately. You don't just state your opinion and move on, you restate it again, and again, and again... page after page. We get it, you hate the move, and you have legitimate reasons why. Simply seeing you say the same thing over and over is what I was criticizing.

Ever think of just stating that instead? Or even private messaging me?

Most of the time it is a "discussion" between myself and another poster.

Back