Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers looking at Choo for LF

michiganalex

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN
Some rival evaluators believe that Shin-Soo Choo will now land in Detroit, to play LF. We'll see.

The real question, can the Tigers get a quality LFer without overpaying? or is overpaying inevitable?

The real question, can the Tigers get a quality LFer without overpaying? or is overpaying inevitable?

Agents are saying, "Mike Illich and he just saved a boat load of cash I'm going there and I'm getting paid."

Choo would be awesome, he would be one hell of a lead-off hitter. So much money I imagine. Beltran would be nice for a couple years.

Overpaying at this point might be moot....our window at a WS ring is closing, we went and got Prince under the impression it was "now or never time". If we start the year with Nick C and or Andy Dirks as starting players, I don;t like our chances.

We need an impact bat to contend, and maybe 2 now that we traded away Fielder for a lighter hitting version of Infante.

Agents are saying, "Mike Illich and he just saved a boat load of cash I'm going there and I'm getting paid."

Well, Choo IS a Boras client after all....and Boras seems to have a way with Mr. I. It wouldn't surprise me if they sign Choo for more than he's worth. Word is, he wants to get Choo more than Werth's 7-year $126 million deal...could he convince Mr. I to pay Choo $20 million a year???

Overpaying at this point might be moot....our window at a WS ring is closing, we went and got Prince under the impression it was "now or never time". If we start the year with Nick C and or Andy Dirks as starting players, I don;t like our chances.

We need an impact bat to contend, and maybe 2 now that we traded away Fielder for a lighter hitting version of Infante.

Not sure I agree with the window is closing..maybe you base it on MI's health or future free agents etc. But the stars of this team, we could have control for some time. I think we have more than a few years..I'd have more confident if DD drafted better.

Not sure I agree with the window is closing..maybe you base it on MI's health or future free agents etc. But the stars of this team, we could have control for some time. I think we have more than a few years..I'd have more confident if DD drafted better.

If they can manage to keep Scherzer, Fister, and Porcello around for a reasonable price, I think this team will be strong for quite a few years.

Of course, I can also see them putting too much money into the starters with the offense becoming non-existent after Cabrera, Hunter, and VMart retire.

Most free agents will be overpaid this year... All the money coming in from TV deals will give teams a bit more of a cushion to spend.

Most free agents will be overpaid this year... All the money coming in from TV deals will give teams a bit more of a cushion to spend.

Some posted something about GM/Owner getting tired of handing out long deals. Maybe there is some truth to that.

The window is about the core of the team that has gotten us to 3 straight ALCS. Vmart, Hunter, Scherzer, Cabrera all coming up on end of contracts. Peralta, Infante, Benoit, Fielder, all gone most likely.

Some of those players will be getting much older...

Can we still compete 3-4 years down the road? sure, but we are likely going to be a very different looking team, not to mention the other teams in our division will start catching up soon.

Aside from Miguel, who else on this team is under team control past 2014 that is above average offensively at their respective position?

Cabrera = 1st of 32

Fielder = 8th of 32

Martinez = 5th of 16

A. Jackson = 16 of 30

Avila = 18 of 28

Kinsler = 19 of 29

Hunter = 21 of 30

Iglesias = 22 of 29

Dirks = 27 of 30

FYI

Granderson = 6 of 29
Ellsbury = 7 of 29

Choo = 13 of 30

Here's hoping we get Granderson back to play LF and be the lefthanded power bat.

I love HR, Grandy will probably hit 25-28 here. Add in his .240 BA and 1000 strikeouts and it sounds great - oh and the new "my defense sucks now" in LF and it sounds like a winner.

I love HR, Grandy will probably hit 25-28 here. Add in his .240 BA and 1000 strikeouts and it sounds great - oh and the new "my defense sucks now" in LF and it sounds like a winner.

Grandy comes with HRs, Walks, On Base, good Stolen Base percentage and underrated defense. You want Choo who only gets on base on plays worse defense than Grandy and will cost more?

Grandy comes with HRs, Walks, On Base, good Stolen Base percentage and underrated defense. You want Choo who only gets on base on plays worse defense than Grandy and will cost more?

Choo stole 21 bases last year. Plus aren't paying him to be cf. If he can play better defense than jhonny damon withz his offense I'd be happy.

Choo stole 21 bases last year. Plus aren't paying him to be cf. If he can play better defense than jhonny damon withz his offense I'd be happy.

He actually stole 20 bases last year, but got caught 11. 64.5% is not a very good success rate and actually diminishes his value.

Back