Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. a's ALDS Game Thread 2 Oct. 5

TBS post game show ask this question why load the bases and bring in Porcello when the strikeout from your Closer would set up the DP later in the inning? Don't you want your best pitcher in at that point? Don't you want a pitcher that is use to doing that job?

Of course, that was retarded not to bring in Benoit.

You don't save your best pitcher waiting for a moment that doesn't come.

My only issue with it is that Leyland had a chance to atleast give the team a chance to bat in the 10th, but he kept AA in to give up 2 singles and then walked the bases loaded before yanking him. I think we all agree there are several better options than AA to begin with. It's the playoffs, and not using your best options is inexcusable to me. However, the offense put Leyland in a situation he fails a lot at.

I would argue that one or both of those singles may have been avoided if the tigers had average to above average defensive corner infileders. Walking the bases loaded was also the right call. Bringing in Porcello was also OK by me. He is the best ground ball pitcher that they had available. He got the ground ball but it found a hole.

I would argue that one or both of those singles may have been avoided if the tigers had average to above average defensive corner infileders. Walking the bases loaded was also the right call. Bringing in Porcello was also OK by me. He is the best ground ball pitcher that they had available. He got the ground ball but it found a hole.

I think Olbermann made a good point in the post game analysis on tbs. He pointed out that most of Oakland's hitters were striking out, with very few ground balls hit on the whole, and we had the infield pulled in, lessening our chance of grabbing any ground ball. In addition, we saw more popups than flyballs on the whole from them. It would have been better to get Benoit in and try to get the pop up or strikeout than to gamble on Porcello coming in and getting a ground ball to exactly the right place with limited range from both of our corner infielders.

All this fantastic pitching going to waste because the offense can't hit it's way out of a wet paper sack, it's all just a crying shame.

All this fantastic pitching going to waste because the offense can't hit it's way out of a wet paper sack, it's all just a crying shame.

Just imagine how Oakland must feel.

They've given up a total of 3 runs in 18 IP at home and still only won one game.

Porcello 2013:
Men in scoring position: .308 .399 .493 (.381 wOBA) (.339 BABIP)
High leverage: .324 .405 .469 (.380 wOBA) (.379 BABIP)

Benoit 2013:
Men in scoring position: .114 .178 .191 (.157 wOBA) (.152 BABIP)
High leverage: 127 .235 .227 (.207 wOBA) (.148 BABIP)

Apparently Leyland does not have access to the Internet and to Fangraphs.

Last edited:
Just imagine how Oakland must feel.

They've given up a total of 3 runs in 18 IP at home and still only won one game.

Would hardly put Oakland's starting rotation in the same class as the Tigers. Maybe even wouldn't put Oakland's offense in the same class other than their better ability to work counts and get themselves good pitches to hit, sometimes that can work against ya though to if you are taking too many strikes but all in all, no excuses for going 17+ and counting consecutive scoreless innings here in the post season so far. The A's pitching isn't this shut down good, just like last year when the Giants pitching wasn't that shutdown good.

It must be physiological, these guys are putting too much pressure on themselves to succeed and need to somehow find away to treat these like any regular season game physiologically when at the plate. Easier said than done I'm sure.

anyway, imagine how Oakland must feel? ahhhh no... I really couldn't give a flyin monkeys ass how Oakland must feel.

Last edited:
Would hardly put Oakland's starting rotation in the same class as the Tigers. Maybe even wouldn't put Oakland's offense in the same class other than their better ability to work counts and get themselves good pitches to hit, sometimes that can work against ya though to if you are taking too many strikes but all in all, no excuses for going 17+ and counting consecutive scoreless innings here in the post season so far. The A's pitching isn't this shut down good, just like last year when the Giants pitching wasn't that shutdown good.

It must be physiological, these guys are putting too much pressure on themselves to succeed and need to somehow find away to treat these like any regular season game physiologically when at the plate. Easier said than done I'm sure.

anyway, imagine how Oakland must feel? ahhhh no... I really couldn't give a flyin monkeys ass how Oakland must feel.

Nor is the Tigers pitching this shutdown good.

And with Cabrera being a singles hitter due to injuries, Oakland has a better lineup than the Tigers.

Last edited:
Nor is the Tigers pitching this shutdown good.

Sure it is, this years CY Young most likely, followed by last years, followed by this years ERA leader going up against the #14 ranked team ave as apposed to the tigers who were #1.

It absolutely is. Sorry man, Tigers Offense needs to step it up and stop under performing in post seasons. Miggy not being 100% doesn't help I agree on that, he didn't have a great post season last year though either when he was 100% so he to, they are all under preforming when it matters most.

Last edited:
Sure it is, this years CY Young most likely, followed by last years, followed by this years ERA leader going up against the #14 ranked team ave as apposed to the tigers who were #1.

It absolutely is. Sorry man, Tigers Offense needs to step it up and stop under performing in post seasons. Miggy not being 100% doesn't help I agree on that, he didn't have a great post season last year though either when he was 100% so he to, they are all under preforming when it matters most.

he was right about the A's lineup being better than the Tigers with Miggy being a replacement level hitter now. I disagree with him about the pitching....the Tigers starters are better but that doesn't mean that any good pitcher can have a lights out performance.

he was right about the A's lineup being better than the Tigers with Miggy being a replacement level hitter now. I disagree with him about the pitching....the Tigers starters are better but that doesn't mean that any good pitcher can have a lights out performance.

Like a damn rookie pitching for what is 12 startish?

No teams pitching is 3 runs in two games good.

And did you really just use team BA? lol

Last edited:
Back