Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Today's example of Christians behaving badly

See the last 2 links posted.

Saw them.

Here is an analogy - one I am sure you will equate to a strawman argument, but this is how I view it.

If I say to you - I worship typewriters. They are the savior of the world. I am fanatical about it. You challenge my belief in typewriters as saviors, and I beat the shit out of you for not believing in typewriters.

Is it the fault of my typewriter religion, or the fact that I am a psychotic narcissist for why I beat the shit of you? Most Christians would not call that woman in the story a Christian, let alone a good Christian.

In my opinion the Islamic terrorists are NOT in that same boat and are different on multiple levels. You are free to disagree.

It isn't Islam that I blame, it is the bastardization of it that is to blame. The terrorists seem reasonably well accepted as they behead non-believers. You find in the stories you cited, any Christian, even some of the real fanatical ones, that would want anything else than for that woman to be put in jail.

Last edited:

In my opinion the Islamic terrorists are NOT in that same boat and are different on multiple levels. You are free to disagree.

It isn't Islam that I blame, it is the bastardization of it that is to blame. The terrorists seem reasonably well accepted as they behead non-believers. You find in the stories you cited, any Christian, even some of the real fanatical ones, that would want anything else than for that woman to be put in jail.

I don't think your hypothetical is a strawman, it is simply irrelevant.

Personally, I know you can separate the religion from the believer; Clearly Thumb knows this as well. His point was that Christians (or "Jesus Freaks" as they are more commonly known in my household) fall all over themselves to distance their religion from the actions of it's nuttier adherents, but happily lump Islam and all Muslims together.

This is absurd; it a shows complete ignorance of Islam, its various sects, nationalities, etc. And on top of that, the media most Americans get their impressions of Islam from has repeatedly demonstrated a weaselly anti-Islamic bias and done subtle things to ensure Muslims remain "the other" to most Americans. Here's just one recent example, and this is from CBS, considered one of the more liberal of the major networks. Fucking ridiculous. And it's been a lot worse during the 00's.

This being said, yes, I am curious to hear why you think it's fair to blame Islam for what it's crazies do, but not Christianity.

I don't think your hypothetical is a strawman, it is simply irrelevant.

It explains how I view it. In that realm it is completely relevant. That you don't think it is relevant says more about you than me.

Personally, I know you can separate the religion from the believer; Clearly Thumb knows this as well. His point was that Christians (or "Jesus Freaks" as they are more commonly known in my household) fall all over themselves to distance their religion from the actions of it's nuttier adherents, but happily lump Islam and all Muslims together.

This is absurd; it a shows complete ignorance of Islam, its various sects, nationalities, etc. And on top of that, the media most Americans get their impressions of Islam from has repeatedly demonstrated a weaselly anti-Islamic bias and done subtle things to ensure Muslims remain "the other" to most Americans. Here's just one recent example, and this is from CBS, considered one of the more liberal of the major networks. Fucking ridiculous. And it's been a lot worse during the 00's.

This being said, yes, I am curious to hear why you think it's fair to blame Islam for what it's crazies do, but not Christianity.

I do believe I have mentioned two reasons in my posts.
1) The scale of the violence.
2) How the other crazies view the actions.

If you really want to discuss this, it may useful to define what you mean when you say "religion". For that woman in the link, it was one crazy - the rest of the crazies aren't touting her as the next messiah, nor would her or her followers, if she had any, be considered a valid sect of Christianity. It is completely the opposite for the terrorists. Look at the number of condemnations by members of their respective religions that they are supposed to be associated with. Find me a priest who doesn't condemn her. I bet I can find you a number of clerics who don't condemn ISIS killing infidels. In that vein, and by my definition, one is much more representative of a real religion, the other not so much.

On top of all that, and I am sure you know this, my own and other Christians bias plays a part. I can certainly tell the difference between the woman and "normal" Christianity due to familiarity. Sometimes, rational people though their own fear and ignorance can't tell the different between the other two Islamic factions. Maybe that is part of your point, but I think I can, and that is why I stated right up front I do not blame, and will not blame Islam for the actions of the terrorists, but it is pretty hard to overlook the fact that nearly all of them are Islamic and point to the same tenets they believe are in the Koran.

That is a pretty big difference in my book - pun intended. :*)

Last edited:
... Find me a priest who doesn't condemn her. I bet I can find you a number of clerics who don't condemn ISIS killing infidels. In that vein, and by my definition, one is much more representative of a real religion, the other not so much.

you're the one asserting this BULLSHIT.

the burden of proof here is on you, not me.

:ugh:

you're the one asserting this BULLSHIT.

the burden of proof here is on you, not me.

:ugh:

Actually, it was you questioning why I would be able to separate the "religion" out more in one case than I would the other. I provided my reasons.

There are any number of links to fatwas that have been found written by ISIS clerics that have been translated and show their justification of what I am talking about. You have Google - are you telling me you really don't believe this?

Also I have looked and looked, and tried to find that woman's bastardized Christian manifesto. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but I have had no luck. If you find it, maybe you could post about it.

I'm sure you can conjecture all about how she is a gun toting card carryin' republitard Christian Tea Bagger, but other than proving her a psychotic narcissist, you got anything else?

Give me a break.

Excuse me, but I thought this thread was now about hamburgers?

Here ya go, thumb. If you ever make it out to NorCal, I'll hook you up.

flickr-cc-in-n-out-double-double.jpg

Thanks for the offer, but I wont eat fast food burgers. I have heard people argue over and over about which smaller chain has the best burgers; in-and-out, five guys, whataburger, etc. but if I'm eating a burger not cooked by me or someone I know on the grill, then it's going to be a made to order one.

Though years ago when I was in Vegas me and my now ex-wife were going to try the famous double/double animal style at an in-and-out, but the line outside was literally 30 people long.

Thanks for the offer, but I wont eat fast food burgers. I have heard people argue over and over about which smaller chain has the best burgers; in-and-out, five guys, whataburger, etc. but if I'm eating a burger not cooked by me or someone I know on the grill, then it's going to be a made to order one.

Though years ago when I was in Vegas me and my now ex-wife were going to try the famous double/double animal style at an in-and-out, but the line outside was literally 30 people long.

Lol I've seen the drive thru line go back two or three blocks.

Well, I think not just hamburgers but diner style food in general.

I do think the guy who left the "tip" of the word of Jesus was an ass.

I don't mind Christians proselytizing - that's part of the belief system - but he should have left an actual monetary tip in addition.

Kind of a "give unto Caesar" thing; with the social convention of tipping one's service person being Caesar in this instance.

Did that priest just finish watching a 3 Stooges marathon? I kept waiting for him to do the double eye-poke on one of the kids.

reminds me of the pre-match head slap I'd get from my high school wrestling coach. Maybe the priest is just trying to get them fired up for their first communion.

Well, if one of those were my kid, that priest would have his teeth smashed in. Maybe it'd fire him up.

At least he wasn't forcing them to blow him....looks like catholic priests are behaving a little better.

What isn't being reported is that this was a special first communion for kids who are possessed by Satan.

That's what the kicking and head smacking and head shaking shit was about; it was a combo first communion/exorcism in one.

Lol that makes it so much more reasonable.

I was going to say the same thing Monster. Oh....they were just exorcising demons...

Back