Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trade Deadline

Papelbon on the gun: 90, 75, 91, 90. His velocity and value are diminishing. Sunday column: http://bit.ly/12WaZx3

Given that contracy paplebon would be a disaster. Closers rarely justify big contracts. Id rather invest money into someone who pitches 200 innings vs 70.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

The only player I suggested trading Nick C for was Stanton. All I said was to possibly acquire Morrison, and I made myself clear about how he'd be cheap(the Ozzie Guillen trade talk).

The only player I suggested trading Nick C for was Stanton. All I said was to possibly acquire Morrison, and I made myself clear about how he'd be cheap(the Ozzie Guillen trade talk).
I misread it then, though it wasnt as clear as you intended.

In any case, trading for Morrison is a bad idea regardless of who we trade for him for the reasons I already mentioned (awful on defense, attitude problems, etc).

I say we bring up Nick C. Then it cuts out the platoon in LF.... Then trade Garcia, Dirks, and Crosby, and maybe somebody else and go after a 2b with that team throwing in a decent reliever...... We use Benoit as the closer cause he can handle it and with Rondon improving he will be the long term answer he just need time to workout the jitters and get his control down..... And then if need be try and get a SS if Peralta gets suspended but by the talks since the tigers are in the playoff hunt he won't be suspended till next season which by that time he is a free agent then in the offseason we fill his roster spot with all of these moves it should set us up to get us the ring.

I say we bring up Nick C. Then it cuts out the platoon in LF.... Then trade Garcia, Dirks, and Crosby, and maybe somebody else and go after a 2b with that team throwing in a decent reliever...... We use Benoit as the closer cause he can handle it and with Rondon improving he will be the long term answer he just need time to workout the jitters and get his control down..... And then if need be try and get a SS if Peralta gets suspended but by the talks since the tigers are in the playoff hunt he won't be suspended till next season which by that time he is a free agent then in the offseason we fill his roster spot with all of these moves it should set us up to get us the ring.

And if Nick C hits like shit at the MLB level to go with his terrible defense? Then what?

Mitch wont like that I'm mentioning this again, but Avi Garcia hit well over .400 in AAA and look how he hit when he got here.

And if Nick C hits like shit at the MLB level to go with his terrible defense? Then what?

Mitch wont like that I'm mentioning this again, but Avi Garcia hit well over .400 in AAA and look how he hit when he got here.

And Tui hit like crap and look how he's doing :clap:

You just never know. And if Dirks wasn't hitting like crap I wouldn't be on the Nick C. promotion bandwagon.

But I believe if Garcia would have stopped getting put in then out then in he may have hit better.... Getting switched liked that all the time slows down your rhythm how's is any hitter gonna get in a groove be in the lineup one day out two then in three days then out again? I think it's worth a gamble cause dirks sucks.

But I believe if Garcia would have stopped getting put in then out then in he may have hit better.... Getting switched liked that all the time slows down your rhythm how's is any hitter gonna get in a groove be in the lineup one day out two then in three days then out again? I think it's worth a gamble cause dirks sucks.

That's one of the reason I'm against Nick C being called up. Will he get a chance to play FT or is he better off playing everyday in AAA?

Are you wanting to trade for a 2B because you think Infante isn't coming back this year?

Unless they plan on playing him EVERYDAY then I say leave him the fuck down.

I believe that had a lot to do with Garcia's numbers up here. I don't follow a lot of other teams in the league, but it seems when a young hot prospect is brought up on teams we play he plays all 3 games vs us. Not maybe 1 game in a series.

Unless they plan on playing him EVERYDAY then I say leave him the fuck down.

I believe that had a lot to do with Garcia's numbers up here. I don't follow a lot of other teams in the league, but it seems when a young hot prospect is brought up on teams we play he plays all 3 games vs us. Not maybe 1 game in a series.

Thats true too, about the playing every day.

What I was basically saying though was the guy that I quoted said bring up nick, play him in LF (eliminating platoon) and trade away Dirks. So then the issue becomes if he can't hit better than Dirks, and he certainly can't field better then him, then what? We would have really shit the bed.

It's too big a gamble on an unknown.

And Tui hit like crap and look how he's doing :clap:

You just never know. And if Dirks wasn't hitting like crap I wouldn't be on the Nick C. promotion bandwagon.

Exactly, but most people who want Nick called up, do so because they think he's going to "rake". For all we know he might be terrible, so since we don;t actually have a pressing need for him (barring injury) might as well wait until September to try him out, and let him get his every day AB in Toledo and continue to work on his defense.

Thats true too, about the playing every day.

What I was basically saying though was the guy that I quoted said bring up nick, play him in LF (eliminating platoon) and trade away Dirks. So then the issue becomes if he can't hit better than Dirks, and he certainly can't field better then him, then what? We would have really shit the bed.

It's too big a gamble on an unknown.

Agreed.

I do not understand you people's logic. He's a top 10 hitting prospect in BASEBALL. To keep him in the minors because of defense and or not having a "need" because we have a below average MLB player in Dirks is just absurd. Like I've said before.. if the Marlins and Brewers followed that logic, then Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder would probably have been in the minors until 2010. You don't know for a fact that Castellanos is all-star talent(even though all scouts say he is.. fans must know better), but we do know for a fact that he's a big improvement over Andy Dirks, who is easily the worst position player we have outside of Ramon Santiago.. and yes, I think Don Kelly is a better overall player. It's horrible to keep the kid rotting in the minors when he's clearly ready to hit at this level. If his defense suffers, replace him with Kelly in the 7th inning. How many fly balls really get hit to left field anyway? As long as he can make routine plays, then the defense of him staying in the minors is completely unjust. BTW, Joe Dumars didn't draft Wade, Anthony, or Bosh because we already had Tayshaun Prince. Do you understand that this logic is going to result in nothing good?

Exactly, but most people who want Nick called up, do so because they think he's going to "rake". For all we know he might be terrible, so since we don;t actually have a pressing need for him (barring injury) might as well wait until September to try him out, and let him get his every day AB in Toledo and continue to work on his defense.

Its not about raking. Its about being better than someone else, Dirks. IMO, if you have someone that could improve your team and get to the playoffs then you do it.

Its not about raking. Its about being better than someone else, Dirks. IMO, if you have someone that could improve your team and get to the playoffs then you do it.

And you know he's better than Dirks how? if you bring him up and trade Dirks away like the one guy said, and he's not better, you're screwed.

Nick C is hitting .284 with an .804 OPS in AAA, that's going to drop at MLB, just how far is the gamble.

I wouldn't want to rush infante back and if his ankle situation is as bad as magglio's was then we may need a 2b.... But I guess it's not determined yet we will have to wait and see infante when he returns.....and for the people talking about leaving Nick C. down in the minors cause your not sure he can hit in the bigs.... Washington didnt leave Harper down they took a chance and it paid off even though he is a better player but still think he is a bit overrated... I just don't get how a TOP 10 hitting prospect wouldn't be ready to be called up and they already said he has made a huge improvement in LF so what's the deal.

I do not understand you people's logic. He's a top 10 hitting prospect in BASEBALL. To keep him in the minors because of defense and or not having a "need" because we have a below average MLB player in Dirks is just absurd. Like I've said before.. if the Marlins and Brewers followed that logic, then Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder would probably have been in the minors until 2010. You don't know for a fact that Castellanos is all-star talent(even though all scouts say he is.. fans must know better), but we do know for a fact that he's a big improvement over Andy Dirks, who is easily the worst position player we have outside of Ramon Santiago.. and yes, I think Don Kelly is a better overall player. It's horrible to keep the kid rotting in the minors when he's clearly ready to hit at this level. If his defense suffers, replace him with Kelly in the 7th inning. How many fly balls really get hit to left field anyway? As long as he can make routine plays, then the defense of him staying in the minors is completely unjust. BTW, Joe Dumars didn't draft Wade, Anthony, or Bosh because we already had Tayshaun Prince. Do you understand that this logic is going to result in nothing good?

I don't understand your logic. Nick is playing poor defense in AAA and isn't hitting great. Do you think he will come up and hit better against better pitchers and play better defense in Comerica Park?

Okay, you just criticized other peoples logic and typed this? LMAO

What "fact" do you have that says he will out preform Dirks?

I wouldn't want to rush infante back and if his ankle situation is as bad as magglio's was then we may need a 2b.... But I guess it's not determined yet we will have to wait and see infante when he returns.....and for the people talking about leaving Nick C. down in the minors cause your not sure he can hit in the bigs.... Washington didnt leave Harper down they took a chance and it paid off even though he is a better player but still think he is a bit overrated... I just don't get how a TOP 10 hitting prospect wouldn't be ready to be called up and they already said he has made a huge improvement in LF so what's the deal.

You cannot compare Nick C to Bryce Harper. Not at all, they are not even close.

Back