Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trade Deadline

I think the priority for the trade deadline is this:

BP arm or arms! Maybe a proven closer or another 8th inning type guy.

I think F-Rod from the Brewers would be an option.

Why would you use any trade pieces on the bullpen, when after this year we need a SS, 2B and a backup 2B/SS. Now granted if you happen to get an arm or two in a trade, I get it. But I am not a proponent to trade for bullpen arms. Their life expectancy is less than the Taliban.

Why would you use any trade pieces on the bullpen, when after this year we need a SS, 2B and a backup 2B/SS. Now granted if you happen to get an arm or two in a trade, I get it. But I am not a proponent to trade for bullpen arms. Their life expectancy is less than the Taliban.

This team is all in for this year. While I don't want the team to mortgage the future for a closer I don't think it would take too much to get an 8th inning type guy or a guy like F-Rod from the Brewers. Worry about SS & 2B in the off season.

I think the priority for the trade deadline is this:

BP arm or arms! Maybe a proven closer or another 8th inning type guy.

I think F-Rod from the Brewers would be an option.

I have never understood the term "proven closer". I mean, Valverde was a proven closer, so was Todd Jones. Benoit is better than both at this point in time, but people get so jittery because nobody hung the "proven closer" moniker on him.

I bet nobody has a problem with calling Sergio Romo or Jason Grilli "proven closers", why do Detroit fans insist we can't get by with Benoit?

And I agree with Rebbiv, never, ever trade for a bullpen arm, they should only be throw in pieces as part of a larger deal.

No way the Phillies trade away a guy who's been the face of their franchise, to get someone under contract for the same amount of time and only 1 minor league prospect.

If they were going to trade Utley, which I find doubtful, they would want a pretty steep price for him.

I Didnt say Philly would trade Utley...Just said I dont think the Tigers should part with Infante and two of their best prospects.

And I agree with Rebbiv, never, ever trade for a bullpen arm, they should only be throw in pieces as part of a larger deal.

I would have no problem trading for a bullpen arm and a bullpen arm only.

But would never give up anything of value for one.

I Didnt say Philly would trade Utley...Just said I dont think the Tigers should part with Infante and two of their best prospects.

I know you didn't. But you did say what it would probably take to get him was Infante plus 1 of the 3 mentioned, that was what I was countering. (I highlighted the part I was responding to)

Only the OP think we are after Utley, and or the Phillies would trade him.

Last edited:
Team needs something, before it's too late to be able to afford to get what is needed. IE the closer too deadline the higher the asking price. And who knows the asking price could be too high right now.

If we're not going to promote Castellanos, then we might as well go out and try to upgrade in LF. Don't know who will be available, but Logan Morrison wouldn't be a bad trade option. Great potential and has seemed to want out of miami since he got called up. Probably wouldn't cost much either, considering Miami was willing to trade him for Ozzie Guillen. It would also allow us to get Cishek packaged with him. I'd check on Raul Ibanez in Seattle as well. If we're wanting to go big, which is a possibility, I'd throw Miami an offer such as Castellanos, Garcia, and Porcello for Stanton and Cishek. Maybe even some more mid-level's to entice Miami. I've said all along, if they don't think Castellanos is good enough defensively to help this team with his bat, then they might as well trade him to a team that could use him as a 3B, which suits Miami's needs. They know Stanton will be gone as soon as he can.

Another thing that pisses me off is that I was adamant about signing K-rod over Valverde in April, and now the Tigers are going to end up trading away prospects to get him.

He's only 21. As much as I want him to be here its not a reason to trade him just because.

this, seriously.

and if we traded him for morrison, id throw a fucking fit. that would be retarded. we might as well just call up castellanos at that point, the defense would probably be about the same and we'd likely get more offense. oh, and we'd have a player WITHOUT attitude problems.

Last edited:
Tigers have made initial inquiries on Padres relievers, sources say. Street and Gregerson among the possibilities

I wanted the Tigers to kick the tires on KRod during ST but Rondon appears to be improving game to game and he might be the solution/answer @closer after all & long term so Tigers can use the money saved to help extend key players like perhaps Cabrera, Fister, or Scherzer.

Last edited:
Back