Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What i saw today......in no particular order.

Honestly, if not for the mental part of the game, the Lions would have won that game by 30 points or better. They simply overmatched the Vikings in terms of talent at most areas on the field. Outside of Peterson on O and Allen on defense I don't really see a Viking team with many impact players. And Ponder is not very good at all.

If we can cut down on the mental mistakes and stupid plays we've got some talent on this team.

I hear a lot of "if we can cut down on the mental mistakes.." -- The Lions have made mental mistakes since JS arrived. The Suh/Delmas etc. BS will continue. You just don't learn how not to do it after years of it being a common occurrence..

Its all on the coach. Did JS even sit Delmas after his bonehead play..?

On offense..

Riley Reiff looked like the veteran and Jared Allen looked like the rookie. I was beyond impressed with that matchup. The fact that they didn't have to double team him made the rest of the O Line stronger in the run. Which segways into...

Reggie Bush. By far exceeded my expectations. Lightning in a bottle. I'm a little concerned with how he's going to hold up over the course of the season, but he's got a great counter part in...

Joique Bell. Not only is he a solid runner, the dude can catch. Which means when he spells Bush, the opposing defense can't assume they won't keep throwing to the back field or that they're going to run. Keeps them guessing. He has turned out to be a huge signing.

On defense..

Ansah/Suh. More often than not, Minnesota was dedicating their LT/LG/C and a TE/RB to just topping these two. Not only does this open up things for the other side of the DL and Lbs if they choose to blitz, this meant less to cover down the field. I also love that Ansah's outside move doesn't take him into a different zip code (Fuck you Avril) and leaves him in a position to still play the run if need be.

Secondary. I'm still a little concerned. Ponder missed quite a few opportunities that a better QB doesn't miss. The optimist in me says the DL forced bad throws and will continue to do so. The pessimist in me says it was Ponder being bad, games good be more interesting in the future. Time will tell on this.

Linebackers. Aside from that first run did their job well. Nothing flashy but they were where they needed to be, when they needed to be. Levy looked like a different player completely.

**Edit** As far as the penalties go, the one that pissed me off the least was actually Suh's. I know I'm in the minority on that, and I understand given his previous history. But last season that isn't even a penalty nor was it a penalty the other 15 years of organized football the guy played. As a captain, he needs to be smarter and show better decision making on the fly, but I can't be mad at a guy who was hustling on a play trying to make a block on an interception. Just hope he (and others) learn from the mistake.

Last edited:
On offense..

Riley Reiff looked like the veteran and Jared Allen looked like the rookie. I was beyond impressed with that matchup. The fact that they didn't have to double team him made the rest of the O Line stronger in the run. Which segways into...

Reggie Bush. By far exceeded my expectations. Lightning in a bottle. I'm a little concerned with how he's going to hold up over the course of the season, but he's got a great counter part in...

Joique Bell. Not only is he a solid runner, the dude can catch. Which means when he spells Bush, the opposing defense can't assume they won't keep throwing to the back field or that they're going to run. Keeps them guessing. He has turned out to be a huge signing.

On defense..

Ansah/Suh. More often than not, Minnesota was dedicating their LT/LG/C and a TE/RB to just topping these two. Not only does this open up things for the other side of the DL and Lbs if they choose to blitz, this meant less to cover down the field. I also love that Ansah's outside move doesn't take him into a different zip code (Fuck you Avril) and leaves him in a position to still play the run if need be.

Secondary. I'm still a little concerned. Ponder missed quite a few opportunities that a better QB doesn't miss. The optimist in me says the DL forced bad throws and will continue to do so. The pessimist in me says it was Ponder being bad, games good be more interesting in the future. Time will tell on this.

Linebackers. Aside from that first run did their job well. Nothing flashy but they were where they needed to be, when they needed to be. Levy looked like a different player completely.

**Edit** As far as the penalties go, the one that pissed me off the least was actually Suh's. I know I'm in the minority on that, and I understand given his previous history. But last season that isn't even a penalty nor was it a penalty the other 15 years of organized football the guy played. As a captain, he needs to be smarter and show better decision making on the fly, but I can't be mad at a guy who was hustling on a play trying to make a block on an interception. Just hope he (and others) learn from the mistake.

Honestly I didn't even know a block below the waist was illegal....happens on every play. The fact is illegal on some plays and not others is the dumbest shit I ever heard.

Its not about how close the block was to being a penalty or not but the fact Levy was way ahead of him and was about to score the TD and didn't need any help. It was a bonehead play. He didn't think. Hustle doesn't mean shit if you fk it up.

Last edited:
Pettigrew has had more than ample time to get it figured out. He is butter fingers plain and simple. Start fining him 10K for every drop!

Everyone forgot Sam Martin's kickoffs. ST on the whole were a huge improvement over last year.

I really wish they coulda stopped APs first run. Can you imagine? "Lions hold comeback player of the year Peterson to 15 rushing yards." That would have been the story of the week, even over Peyton's game, IMO.

I really wish they coulda stopped APs first run. Can you imagine? "Lions hold comeback player of the year Peterson to 15 rushing yards." That would have been the story of the week, even over Peyton's game, IMO.

That's what fans of the teams that played the Lions used to say about Barry. "I wish we could have stopped him on that 80 yard TD".

The Lions D did a pretty good job but they knew that Ponder and the WRs sucked so they were able to stack the box.

That's what fans of the teams that played the Lions used to say about Barry. "I wish we could have stopped him on that 80 yard TD".

The Lions D did a pretty good job but they knew that Ponder and the WRs sucked so they were able to stack the box.

They did an amazing job, not "pretty good"

Actually I felt the oline did pretty good against that d line and allen. Replacing 3 starters.

The big run sucks and needs to be shored up. But it's Peterson. The two 40 yarders to Simpson that set up TDs sucked too. But they did plenty of great things to win this game. Even with leaving 17 points on the field from miscues. I would have loved a 51-24 rout but I'll take 34-24 still convincing win.

The dline should b the reason y detroit may win sunday. getting the pressure on palmer so he doesn't have time to throw to lloyd or fitz

It was a nice win after a stupid 1st half..Also, my impression of the Vikings is that they stink..

It was a nice win after a stupid 1st half..Also, my impression of the Vikings is that they stink..

A win is a win. But I have a hard time labeling it a good win when we played like undiciplined crap the entire first half vs a team with no qb. Can't make those mistakes vs good teams.

Dont care about the big run, if we can defend the run like that all season its going to be a team defining improvement and improve our chances for the postseason greatly.

I wonder how we will fare against a team like the eagles running a spread? They are lbviously very dependant on the run, the redskins too imo. If can stop their QB and rb from running all over, we are going to really see what rg3 and vick are made of. Im predicting bad throws and probably picks.

Back