Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Why Stafford will never be a great QB

Like, I get it that some people here are of the opinion that Stafford is going to be fine and was a victim of a bad supporting cast. But trying to say other players we're equally (or more) to blame just seems ludicrous to me.

The jersey idea is the only rational explanation I've got since there is no way people watched the same games as I did and think Stafford didn't play awful in the second half of this season.

I dont think anybody in their right mind thought Stafford played good the second half. He was fn terrible. Who is even saying he wasnt awful? I dont recall one person saying that ...lol.

And its not about who was worse or a little better than that guy. EVERYBODY had a hand in this shitshow of a season. To say Stafford was 80% to blame and the rest were 20% is retarded to say the least.

It's pretty simple, QB is the most important position on the field. I don't see how you not understand that even with average QB play the last 6 games, we would be in the playoffs. that does not mean other people didn't make mistakes.

I don't recall Stafford throwing off his back foot or side arm so much in previous years, it seemed like this year he did it for no reason. He seemed to get sloppy and looked like shit. A pro QB should be able to hit guys in stride, Stafford had trouble hitting guys in the numbers when they were standing in the soft spot of a zone. He had trouble putting the ball in the right spot on a swing pass.

Discussing with Tony is like talking to a woman, gets so hung up on terminology hte can't understand the point of the argument. If Stafford plays better we are in the playoffs, I don't see how you could not agree, statistically he as one of the worst QBs in the league down the stretch.

Yes guys like Houston played bad, but to me that is a talent issue not a lazy issue. I think most players played as good as their talent allows them too. Maybe my issue is I think to highly of Stafford, maybe he is a guy that can not be accurate on throws of 5+ yards, maybe his ceiling is an average QB.

I wouldnt put so much blame on Stafford if I didn't think he was capable of much more. To me he is the player that played the most below what I think their best is. That's why he is the player I blame the most. (Coaching is still #1 reason)

And youre too ignorant to see the other side of the coin. If Stafford played better we're in the playoffs? Thats fn genius, buddy. I can say the same fn thing. If Durham or Reggie dont drop that pass we're in the playoffs. If the referee calls the armbar on Durham, we're at the 1 yd line and we score a TD and we beat the Ravens on Monday night. Sorry man, it doesnt work that way. You dont have a clue if Stafford plays better we win. Something else could have happened ...we're the fn Lions!! Too many factors go into this season why we lost and never made the playoffs. Stafford could have been Joe fn Montana but someone has to catch the damn ball. I fully understand the argument ....nice fn try.

Last edited:
21 turnovers in last 7. 9.5 of them were staffords fault. Plenty of other blame with 11.5 turnovers. The half is the philly fumble by the way

5 losses we forced no turnovers.at gb Cincy at pit Tampa ravens

Three losses complete garbage in run d. At gb at phi at min

Two losses no Calvin and very limited against giants.

Plenty of losses gave up long play passing td. Cincy at gb at pit Tampa

Stafford made more plays than most lions. The wins for sure, ravens game last td drive, final drive against bucs, 27 points at pit should be a win no matter if they were only in quarter two. 4 big drops in second half of that game too.

Built in excuse at Philly at gb and at min

21 turnovers in last 7. 9.5 of them were staffords fault. Plenty of other blame with 11.5 turnovers. The half is the philly fumble by the way

5 losses we forced no turnovers.at gb Cincy at pit Tampa ravens

Three losses complete garbage in run d. At gb at phi at min

Two losses no Calvin and very limited against giants.

Plenty of losses gave up long play passing td. Cincy at gb at pit Tampa

Stafford made more plays than most lions. The wins for sure, ravens game last td drive, final drive against bucs, 27 points at pit should be a win no matter if they were only in quarter two. 4 big drops in second half of that game too.

Built in excuse at Philly at gb and at min

You keep referencing the Ogletree drop in the Pittsburgh game. It was a decent throw by Stafford and Ogletree dropped it, but it was by no means a perfect throw. Ogletree had to come back to the ball and basically get on his knees for it. PLUS, there was less than 2 minutes left in the game at that point and barring a miracle, the outcome of the game was already decided.

Ogletree on the bomb down 10. Durham in 3rd quarter up 7. Perfect throw to Ross on second down and riddick on first before jump ball pick to Calvin down 3.

Wasn't even counting that drop. But we can make it five if you want

27 points at pit should be a win no matter if they were only in quarter two. 4 big drops in second half of that game too.

Stafford playing amazing for 1 quarter and sucking the rest of the game doesn't necessarily mean the Lions should win. I admit, the 2nd quarter was one of the best quarters I've ever seen Stafford play, but one quarter isn't enough. He has to play at least halfway decent in the other quarters.

He made plays in 4th. Wrs let him down three times and he ran for a first. Two three and outs in 3rd and one long drive into fg range where plays were made. His second half is better than people think in that game. His first quarter sucked but so did lions defense too

27 and fg attempt should be enough

He made plays in 4th. Wrs let him down three times and he ran for a first. Two three and outs in 3rd and one long drive into fg range where plays were made. His second half is better than people think in that game. His first quarter sucked but so did lions defense too

27 and fg attempt should be enough

Even if he played halfway decent in the 4th (which I have no way of rewatching even if I wanted to), that two quarters (1st & 3rd) that he did absolutely nothing. You can't play awful for half a game and say he deserved to win.

3rd is when botched fg drive started. So not awful in 3rd. Durham dropped a pass and there was a sack for one 3 and out. The other one bad throw and one tipped screen sniffed out. One bad throw does not make an awful quarter. One great, two solid and a terrible first quarter. 27 points with a fg attempt is enough to blame the defense. Plus a bush fumble and botched fg.

Stafford can't score every drive

Last edited:
3rd is when botched fg drive started. So not awful in 3rd. Durham dropped a pass and there was a sack for one 3 and out. The other one bad throw and one tipped screen sniffed out. One bad throw does not make an awful quarter. One great, two solid and a terrible first quarter. 27 points with a fg attempt is enough to blame the defense. Plus a bush fumble and botched fg.

Stafford can't score every drive

Don't for get the 5-8 yard over throw of Reggie Bush in the Pittsburgh game that probably goes for a TD if it is not over thrown....

The team cost us a chance at the playoffs but if we had had a better QB the last 7 games we are in the playoffs.. You just cannot dispute that.. Matt missed wide open guys in the Tampa bay game and a lot of the drops you talk about are probably 50/50 poor throws and good throws..

Oh well we are never going to change MS lover heads... And they won't change ours.. until
Chubby boy grows up and learns to play better the Lions are going nowhere..

Hopefully the new staff can fix him because the last staff just cried and covered for his ass.

Don't for get the 5-8 yard over throw of Reggie Bush in the Pittsburgh game that probably goes for a TD if it is not over thrown....

The team cost us a chance at the playoffs but if we had had a better QB the last 7 games we are in the playoffs.. You just cannot dispute that.. Matt missed wide open guys in the Tampa bay game and a lot of the drops you talk about are probably 50/50 poor throws and good throws..

Oh well we are never going to change MS lover heads... And they won't change ours.. until
Chubby boy grows up and learns to play better the Lions are going nowhere..

Hopefully the new staff can fix him because the last staff just cried and covered for his ass.

50/50 good and poor throws?? Where do you fn guys come up with this shit?? A drop is a drop, no matter how you look at it.

The TEAM let us down, not just Stafford. You can't say he cost us the playoffs. He sure as hell had a hand in it though. This broken record shit has to stop ...lol

Not to get into an argument but are drops like errors in baseball where if you get a hand on it..? Or do they have to be catchable balls..

Not to get into an argument but are drops like errors in baseball where if you get a hand on it..? Or do they have to be catchable balls..

Gotta be 'catchable' balls. The Fauria pick six against the Giants, was NOT catchable. And the two balls CJ flat out botched, WAS catchable. There has to be some intelligence to it, right?

The only reason why I asked because lkp keeps saying Stafford is not at fault for tipped ball INT. Even though some are not close to the WR.

The only reason why I asked because lkp keeps saying Stafford is not at fault for tipped ball INT. Even though some are not close to the WR.

See, im not sure on that one. That could go either way, right? Is a tipped ball a good play by the defender or a bad pass by the QB? I would lean more towards it being a good play by the defender if you ask me. I guess it's more of a judgement call .... it could definitely go both ways.

PFF has them at much more than others. 9% drop rate. Next closest is Pats with 7.8% but the leage average is around 5-6 %. That is basically a 4% swing not in Staffords favor. Not to mention the lack of separation by his wide outs. Previous years Stafford had about a 6% and 5% drop rate against him. He is a low 60% QB. He can make more throws to get to mid 60% but he's done enough to be low 60%. And if his WRs/TEs got better separation life would be easier for Stafford. Also if the Lions forced more turnovers.

5 losses. No turnovers forced by Detroits defense.

Turnovers by the defense can make QBs look efficient scoring points. Russel Wilson is a prime example.

And by the way. 9 throws of 634 is 1.4%. That right there puts Stafford at 60%.

And by the way. 9 throws of 634 is 1.4%. That right there puts Stafford at 60%.

60 percent is still not good enough with how many times Stafford goes to his running backs.

60 percent is still not good enough with how many times Stafford goes to his running backs.

Bush drop rate is very high. Going to RBs hurts him sometimes. And with Calvin doubled, Burleson/Durham/Ross/Ogletree failing to beat single coverage, RB is the best option unless Bush drops it or they sniff the screen out because we ran it a million times.

Last edited:
Back