Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2014 Draft Thread

he actually played at 282 lbs this year cause he was being asked to block more for Washington lol. He admitted that was way too high for him and he cut 20 lbs. He wasn't able to run at the combine but he was hoping for a 4.65. Im sure that's a lowball number...a lot of ppl don't meet what they "hope" to run....but even if that means hes in the 4.7-4.8 range that's still a great number.

He's a stud. If we did grab Evans and him in the first two rounds we could put together an offense that would beat the Pistons.

Just so you know if you weren't aware already I have no clue whether that TE is good or not. I rarely watch college football. In-fact I didn't know who he was until the combine.

So I base stuff on what you guys says, my view on what I think the Lions need. Add in that I don't want a second round pick that is coming off even the minor of injuries.

Don't worry, Mitch. We all know you know nothing about college football players and potential draft picks and just equate all potential picks based on what we did in the past. Like you said you know nothing of ASJ and when he was actually going to workout at the combine, dude was a first round lock.

Don't worry, Mitch. We all know you know nothing about college football players and potential draft picks and just equate all potential picks based on what we did in the past. Like you said you know nothing of ASJ and when he was actually going to workout at the combine, dude was a first round lock.

I don't watch college ball sue me..I just don't want a recent injured player when the draft appears to be deep, which includes TE.

I don't watch college ball sue me..I just don't want a recent injured player when the draft appears to be deep, which includes TE.

Lol all good buddy not attacking you for not watching it, just don't expect us to take your opinions and comments on the draft and potential draft picks seriously because now we know you really don't know anything ;) <3 O and the whole injury thing I can understand after the whole Broyles thing, but ASJ's injury shouldn't be anywhere near as serious as an ACL and he should be more than ready to go by training camp.

Last edited:

Legit concern Mitch, foot injuries can derail a career real quick. And I don't necessarily like the record our med teams judgement. BTW you are probably even more of an expert on college players than most junkies, after all as a Lions fan the draft is pretty much our Super Bowl.

Lol all good buddy not attacking you for not watching it, just don't expect us to take your opinions and comments on the draft and potential draft picks seriously because now we know you really don't know anything ;) <3 O and the whole injury thing I can understand after the whole Broyles thing, but ASJ's injury shouldn't be anywhere near as serious as an ACL and he should be more than ready to go by training camp.

Probably not but we've had the second round from hell for a lot of years. Some of those coming off injuries. It just seems we'd want to stay away from it..Plus imo I don't think a TE is a huge need, not in the second anyway.

Legit concern Mitch, foot injuries can derail a career real quick. And I don't necessarily like the record our med teams judgement. BTW you are probably even more of an expert on college players than most junkies, after all as a Lions fan the draft is pretty much our Super Bowl.

We're the only franchise that has a SB every year. Spring time.

Right I only want to draft a TE pre round 3 if we don't re-sign Pettigrew. Would rather save the money let him walk and get a guy round 2 or 3 who can step right in and start and produce with that low rookie contract for 4 years.

Right I only want to draft a TE pre round 3 if we don't re-sign Pettigrew. Would rather save the money let him walk and get a guy round 2 or 3 who can step right in and start and produce with that low rookie contract for 4 years.

I guess my thinking is we need a WR and CB before a TE, even if Pettigrew leaves. So if TE gets taken round 2 then most likely a WR or CB moves to round 3.

I hear you. This FO puts to much faith in Chris Houston.... Hopefully the new staff doesn't let that shit fly if he isn't going to produce. I'd love Gilbert in the first, just don't think they will pull the trigger on a CB in rd 1.

Anyone with espn insider able to post McShay's Lions draft that was done today?

Anyone with espn insider able to post McShay's Lions draft that was done today?

I don't even know why ESPN has Insider, everything there is posted elsewhere on the internet in a matter of minutes...Like McShay's mock.

1 Blake Bortles Houston Texans (2-14)COLLEGE: UCFAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 232POS: QB
Analysis: This is just as hard a decision for this mock draft as it was for my first back in December. I still have Clowney as the No. 1 player and Bridgewater as the No. 1 QB on my board, but I consider Bortles to be the likeliest choice. He has the prototypical size and mental makeup that Houston is looking for, and my guess is that his weaknesses -- consistency and ball placement -- are things that Texans coach Bill O'Brien thinks he can fix. (The fact that O'Brien coached previously under UCF coach George O'Leary adds a layer of familiarity, provided O'Leary endorses Bortles.) I'm sure some Texans fans will be asking about Johnny Manziel, but I don't think he really fits what O'Brien and this new regime are looking for.

2 Jadeveon Clowney St. Louis Rams (7-9)COLLEGE: South CarolinaAGE: 21HT: 6-5WT: 266POS: DE
Analysis: If Clowney doesn't go No. 1 to the Texans, the Rams will be ecstatic for two reasons: One, it would drive up the trade value for the No. 2 pick (at No. 6, the Falcons are one potential trade partner); and two, if the Rams don't get a trade offer that makes sense, they'll have the opportunity to take the best player in this draft and transform a good, young defense into an exceptional one. Yes, I know that the Rams already have a very good defensive line (and O-line was an issue last season), but in today's NFL, when you're defending the pass as much as teams are, being able to rotate your D-linemen or move a guy like Robert Quinn inside to rush the quarterback on passing downs would be a huge asset. Second down is the new third down. Greg Robinson is the pick if Clowney goes first.

3 Teddy Bridgewater Jacksonville Jaguars (4-12)COLLEGE: LouisvilleAGE: 21HT: 6-2WT: 214POS: QB
Analysis: I think that if Clowney drops to this spot, he could be Jacksonville's choice as a guy who could come in and be a difference-maker for that defense, playing something of a hybrid role. But unless Clowney is available, I think the Jaguars will take the best QB available at No. 3. I feel as though Bortles and Bridgewater are the two likeliest options, and with Bortles off the board in this scenario, that means Bridgewater. He is the most NFL-ready and naturally accurate quarterback in this class, and he remains the top QB in our rankings.

4 Johnny Manziel Cleveland Browns (4-12)COLLEGE: Texas A&MAGE: 21HT: 5-11WT: 207POS: QB
Analysis: The mantra for the Browns is the same as for the Jaguars: take the best available QB. They'll be pulling hard for Clowney and Robinson to be among the top three picks so they have some choices here, but in this scenario the only guy among our first round-worthy QBs is Manziel. I don't know if he's an ideal fit or if he'd be the Browns' first choice, but I'm not worried about his size or arm strength as it relates to playing in cold weather. If I had to rank the top three QBs in terms of arm strength, I'd go Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles, without much difference among the three. And Manziel's 9 7/8-inch hands are plenty big enough to grip the ball in cold weather.

5 Sammy Watkins Oakland Raiders
6 Greg Robinson Atlanta Falcons
7 Khalil Mack Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)COLLEGE: BuffaloAGE: 21HT: 6-2WT: 251POS: OLB
Analysis: I think that this choice would come down to Mack versus offensive tackle Jake Matthews. While in some respects Mack wouldn't fill a huge need area, as the "Sam" linebacker in Lovie Smith's defense isn't as important as some other positions, what drives up his value is his versatility. He could cover tight ends when they needed him to and he could also be an impact pass-rusher (something the Bucs lacked last season) when they turned him loose off the edge. Mack is one of the four elite players in this class, and teams need guys like him who can create turnovers.

8 Justin Gilbert Minnesota Vikings (5-10-1)COLLEGE: Oklahoma StateAGE: 21HT: 6-0WT: 202POS: CB
Analysis: If I were to rank the two or three likeliest teams to trade out of their first-round pick, the Vikings would be right in the mix. I could see them trying to aggressively move up if one of the top QBs (say, Johnny Manziel) dropped to No. 5, and I could see them moving back if there isn't a QB available at No. 8 in an attempt to grab more picks and take a lower-rated quarterback like Jimmy Garoppolo later. But if they stay put, I think the Vikings take the best player available, either offensive tackle Jake Matthews or cornerback Justin Gilbert out of Oklahoma State. I'll go with Gilbert, the top corner prospect on our board who has excellent speed, size and playmaking ability.

9 Jake Matthews Buffalo Bills
10 Mike Evans Detroit Lions
11 Anthony Barr Tennessee Titans
12 Taylor Lewan New York Giants
13 Calvin Pryor St. Louis Rams
14 Aaron Donald Chicago Bears
15 Ha Ha Clinton-Dix Pittsburgh Steelers
16 Timmy Jernigan Dallas Cowboys

17 C.J. Mosley Baltimore Ravens
18 Marqise Lee New York Jets
19 Zack Martin Miami Dolphins
20 Darqueze Dennard Arizona Cardinals
21 Eric Ebron Green Bay Packers
22 Bradley Roby Philadelphia Eagles
23 Odell Beckham Jr. Kansas City Chiefs (11-5)COLLEGE: LSUAGE: 21HT: 5-11WT: 198POS: WR
Analysis: The Chiefs need to upgrade at cornerback and safety and would also like to add some D-line help, but they could also use some new weapons on offense and Beckham is a good value pick here. He and Oregon State's Brandin Cooks are vying to be the fourth wide receiver in this class, but Beckham is a little bigger and stronger than Cooks, and he's a little more dynamic in terms of his playmaking ability even though Cooks ran a faster 40 time at the combine. He could also help the Chiefs in the return game.

24 Kyle Fuller Cincinnati Bengals (11-5)COLLEGE: Virginia TechAGE: 21HT: 5-11WT: 190POS: CB
Analysis: The Bengals need a cornerback, and Fuller is a guy who turned some heads with his combine performance. The two big question marks on him had been speed and durability, but then he ran a 4.49 40 and, from what I heard, teams didn't come away with any concerns about his durability. He has good size (6-foot) and long arms and proved to be an explosive athlete based on his test results.

25 Jason Verrett San Diego Chargers
26 Brandin Cooks Cleveland Browns
27 Morgan Moses New Orleans Saints
28 Kelvin Benjamin Carolina Panthers
29 Ra'Shede Hageman New England Patriots
30 Louis Nix III San Francisco 49ers
31 Kony Ealy Denver Broncos
32 Xavier Su'a-Filo Seattle Seahawks

link

Last edited:
i don't see why minnesota wouldn't want a WR too

Because they have far more need than at WR. They have Jennings J Simp and BEAST Patterson.... Not saying they won't draft a WR, just not likely in the first.

Back