Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2014 Draft Thread

I hope we don't go WR at 10. Someone mentioned we're closer to being Denver than Seattle. I'm not sure what our coaches can do to help Staff but they're not going to get Staff to play at Manning level. Imo, the best way to help Staff is to get a better defense. Make him not throw as much or take as many chances..

I don't think anyone really cares how many yards he gets..just get some wins. We lost a lot of 4th quarter leads so bad QB play, defense didn't come up big or a combination? I'm still not confident the coaches can improve Staff's accuracy outside 10 yards so I'm going for the improved defense.

Last edited:
So Gilbert or Dennard come in and pick off 5 balls at least(Houston 2011) or maybe 4 (Wright or Alphonso Smith 2011) and don't give up 5 big play TDs as rookies (Houston 2013)? What are the expectation for these savior rookie CBs.

How many picks for Slay and Bentley? Do they develop. I'd say that's more important.

Number 1 CB going from 2 picks (Houston 2013) to five or more would be nice. But its really up to Slay(or Houston as a number 2) and Bentley getting some picks. Levy won't repeat IMO.

I'd be happy with that or the CB from OK St. The defense is what needs improvement!

The D will improve with a better scheme.....even without any personnel upgrades. That being said, the offense is what needs another weapon. Someone opposite CJ would be a bigger help to the team then a DB.

The D will improve with a better scheme.....even without any personnel upgrades. That being said, the offense is what needs another weapon. Someone opposite CJ would be a bigger help to the team then a DB.

It's hard to believe our secondary will improve just on a new scheme. We still need players.

I just don't see trotting out mike evans opposite CJ and their being this huge impact. Sure hes a big body....but hes not going to blow by anyone in the nfl and hes not going to run crisp enough routes to create separation. I don't like Lee that much but at this point I think id rather have Lee than Evans.....and with that being said theres no way I think Lee should sniff the top 10 in the draft especially if 3 or 4 qbs go in the top 10. There will be a top 6 or 7 guy there at 10 we should jump on who fits an immediate need and still would be considered a BPA guy. Lee/Evans is reaching for a need and not getting value....you just don't do that in the top 10. Id consider a trade up for Watkins leaps n bounds over picking evans at 10. Barr or Gilbert are my hopes at this point. Id even take a Jernigan over evans if negotiations with Suh start to sour. But I agree with Tom...the best value at 10 seems to be defenders.

Last edited:
i still say trade down if they can get a taker. get more picks and build up. they can still get a CB or WR in the later half of the 1st round

I thought I should post this here too.

Clearly, this could/will change based on what happens in Free Agency. If NOTHING changed from now until then, this is how I would go...

1. Ha Ha
2. Jordan Matthews
3. Keith McGill
4. Aaron Murray/Zach Mettenberger
4. C.J. Fiedorowicz
6. Jeff Janis
7. Jeremy Gallon

Ha Ha would be there at 10 for sure.....and could be there later if a trade down scenario presents itself. Matthews fills the #2 WR role and is a day one starter. Worst case scenario, McGill moves to S in a couple years. Has the size (6'3" 211 lbs) and speed (4.51) to be elite.

The top three in the draft shore up and add depth to the defense. rounds 4-7 could do the same for the offense. A TE, slot WR and a backup QB. I like Murray more than Mettenberger, but would be happy with either.

Last edited:
I thought I should post this here too.

Clearly, this could/will change based on what happens in Free Agency. If NOTHING changed from now until then, this is how I would go...

1. Ha Ha
2. Jordan Matthews
3. Keith McGill
4. Aaron Murray/Zach Mettenberger
4. C.J. Fiedorowicz
6. Jeff Janis
7. Jeremy Gallon

Ha Ha would be there at 10 for sure.....and could be there later of a trade down scenario presents itself. Shazier would probably be gone by round 2.....if so, slot in Van Noy. He adds a pass rusher on the outside opposite Levy for the pressure Austin said he is going to bring. Worst case scenario, McGill moves to S in a couple years. Has the size (6'3" 211 lbs) and speed (4.51) to be elite.

The top three in the draft shore up and add depth to the defense. rounds 4-7 could do the same for the offense. A TE, slot WR and a backup QB.

I think we could do better in the middle rounds, but I wouldn't dislike this draft if it went down. HaHa starts day one (although you are tempting fate putting someone named HAHA in the Lions secondary) and so does Jordan Matthews. I would pass on McGill, although he's got some upside. I would try to fill a need in the third with a possible homerun like we did with the Warlord (easier said than done). Jeffcoat may be a good pick there, one of MichiganAlex's boys. McGill will be just adding to the mix of Bentley Green Greenwood, kind of redundant. I like the quarterbacks you picked, I don't know if they'll be there but were all in on Stafford, that backup-development project gets picked later than the 4th IMO.

Last edited:
Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Player
Washington TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins underwent surgery Friday to repair a stress fracture in his left foot.
Doctors discovered the injury at the Combine, and the 2013 Mackey Award winner was disallowed from participating. Seferian-Jenkins' recovery timetable is eight weeks, making it possible "ASJ" won't work out for scouts before May's draft. The Huskies' Pro Day is on April 2. Seferian-Jenkins continues to look like a second-day prospect in a draft class teeming with talented tight ends.

How about taking a chance on this guy in the third?

I think we could do better in the middle rounds, but I wouldn't dislike this draft if it went down. HaHa starts day one (although you are tempting fate putting someone named HAHA in the Lions secondary) and so does Jordan Matthews. I would pass on McGill, although he's got some upside. I would try to fill a need in the third with a possible homerun like we did with the Warlord (easier said than done). Jeffcoat may be a good pick there, one of MichiganAlex's boys. McGill will be just adding to the mix of Bentley Green Greenwood, kind of redundant. I like the quarterbacks you picked, I don't know if they'll be there but were all in on Stafford, that backup-development project gets picked later than the 4th IMO.

McGill isn't really redundant because he has as much if not more potential at S as he does at CB. It's also not redundant if he pans out to be really good, as the names you mentioned haven't amounted to much. McGill could be the Warlord type homerun you speak of.

I worry a bit about Aaron Murray's size, but like his skill set better than Mettenberger's. Can't have too many Georgia QB's!

Gallon could turn out to be the game one starter in the slot. He gets open. Attacks the ball in the air for someone his size. Good runner after the catch.

Janis instantly fills the role of white guy in a skill position currently occupied by Durham. But he has talent. And potential.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins - TE - Player
Washington TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins underwent surgery Friday to repair a stress fracture in his left foot.
Doctors discovered the injury at the Combine, and the 2013 Mackey Award winner was disallowed from participating. Seferian-Jenkins' recovery timetable is eight weeks, making it possible "ASJ" won't work out for scouts before May's draft. The Huskies' Pro Day is on April 2. Seferian-Jenkins continues to look like a second-day prospect in a draft class teeming with talented tight ends.

How about taking a chance on this guy in the third?

perfect....fall to us in rd 2!

post combine mock:

1 Gilbert CB
2 ASJ TE
3 Moncrief WR
4a Ahmad Dixon S
4b William Clarke DE

Why the love for Jenkins? I know this wouldn't be a Lions draft without a 2nd round pick coming off surgery but haven't we learned anything yet?

Back