Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2014 Draft Thread

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46006/349/out-of-the-box

Peshek: Top 4 WR Metrics

Much will be written about the talent and depth in this year’s wide receiver draft class; it’ll be one of those truisms that gets passed around non-stop. Just looking at the stats of the top tier of WRs shows us that it isn’t just an empty platitude, but rather a statement that has a lot of merit. On average, this year’s class of WRs gained more yards after the catch, dropped fewer balls, and achieved production utilizing a much wider array of talents. I’ll expand on those stats in the piece, but it’s important to note that these stats won’t predict which WR will be better, but explain their production and complement film study.

Where Did They Catch the Ball?

The table below represents the percentage of catches in each zone, it is color-coded so that an above-average number of receptions is greener and a below-average number is redder.

yuHvdoh.jpg

- Sammy Watkins’ receptions stick out like a sore thumb. It shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone who’s watched Clemson that 57% of Watkins’ catches came off screens. We’ll examine his yards after the catch in relation to screens later in the piece, but that doesn’t discount the fact that you’d like to see more than 30% of his receptions come past 6 yards – just for some variation.

- The most normalized reception chart belongs to Mike Evans, who was the closest to average among the top tier. Much will be made about Manziel and Evans’ connection and reliance on each other for deep balls. However, we still have to be impressed by the fact that at 6’5” Evans has caught the highest percentage of receptions past 20 yards amongst the top 15 WRs in this class.

- Like Evans, 25% of Benjamin’s receptions came on throws deeper than 20 yards. Benjamin’s receptions are well distributed among the various zones with the exception of screens. He caught 3 screens on the year where he totaled -8 yards. The screen game is not going to be strong for Kelvin at the next level.

- Lee’s receptions are the most stunning, as only 3.5% of his catches (2 receptions) came deeper than 20 yards. He actually dropped more deep passes (3) than he caught. Other than that, we can see the influence of Kiffin’s passing game where the majority of Lee’s receptions came on short passes designed to get yards after the catch.

What Did They Do After They Caught It?

mWZAiha.jpg

- As alluded to earlier, Marqise Lee was put in situations where he could catch the ball short and take it for good yardage. His 7.05 yards after the catch is top 5 in the class, although his paltry 3.7 yards after the catch on screens leaves a little something to be desired.

- We can see the effects of Benjamin’s deep receptions as he caught the ball an average of 13.4 yards from the line of scrimmage, proving to be a solid deep threat. However, his 4.89 yards after the catch is the lowest among the top 15 WRs. That’s not necessarily a problem with a bigger WR as that’s not ‘where he wins’. However, we still have to take that into account when comparing him to other similarly sized WRs.

- Benjamin’s YAC becomes relevant when compared to Evans who averaged 7.63 yards after the catch. His yardage wasn’t just racked up on broken Manziel plays. On screens he averaged 8.92 yards after the catch, displaying an innate shiftiness/burst that he may not always get credit for.

- I was a bit hard on Watkins earlier for his lack of receptions downfield, however we have to be impressed with his YAC. Despite catching 70% of his passes within 5 yards of the LOS, where defenses were keying in on him – he averaged the highest YAC of this class gaining 8.48 yards on average. Most importantly he still averaged a solid 6.1 yards on non-screen passes showing he can get it done all over the field

How Did they Catch the Ball?

The chart below represents the final break each WR made before catching the ball. The goal isn’t to tell you exactly what routes each WR ran, but the variety of breaks they made as well as how those affected their production. For instance, comebacks typically yield very little YAC (2.5 yards on average) while posts/corner/slants yield high yards after the catch. The chart has factored out screens.

OjQ7PwX.jpg

Roue
- When he’s not running screens, Watkins has the most normal distribution of route types. This makes his overall YAC on non-screens all the more impressive because we know he’s not running an excess of routes that lead to exaggerated YAC totals.

- As many have surmised via his tape, nearly 44% of Mike Evans’ catches are from coming back to the QB. Whether that’s on a scramble drill or designed route, that high number of comebacks takes away from his experience running sharp-breaking routes like square outs. Although we must consider Evans’ high YAC as a positive sign despite catching so many comebacks.

- Most interesting here is Benjamin and FSU’s utilization of the go route to take advantage of his height mismatch, nearly doubling the average for that specific type of route.

- Nearly 43% of Marqise Lee’s receptions came on short breaking in/out routes designed to put him in a position to gain yardage after the catch. I’m personally a bit surprised by the lack of post/corner/slants that have seemed to factor more heavily into USC’s past offenses.

How Are Their Hands?

Here are the drop rates for each of the WRs. I defined drops as balls that were easy receptions and likely bounced off the hands of a WR, not passes that a WR ‘could have caught’ with an acrobatic play. I won’t provide any commentary since it’s pretty self-explanatory.

qd2U26t.jpg

So much of a WR’s numbers depend on the quarterback, so we can’t always use stats as effectively as we do for other positions. However, that doesn’t mean there isn’t value in them. Whether you use them to identify problems with a prospect’s hands or examine a WR’s YAC in depth, there is merit if you understand their potential and limitations. That’s all I have for now. I’ll answer any questions and tweet out additional info I have on Twitter @NU_Gap. Thanks for reading.

Thank you for posting the 2.0 version of the WR metrics.... Saw the top guys but not the second part yet... I like the numbers I'm seeing, especially Beckham and Landry. "Striking though, is the fact that Odell Beckham caught 62% of balls thrown to him past 10 yards. Beckham is clearly the deep threat here while Landry shows a tendency toward more intermediate passes." We could use that deep threat in the second.

Final draft order

1. Houston (2-14, .559 SoS)
2. St. Louis via Washington (3-13, .516 SoS)
3. Jacksonville (4-12, .504 SoS)
4. Cleveland (4-12, .516 SoS)
5. Oakland (4-12, .523 SoS)
6. Atlanta (4-12, .553 SoS)
7. Tampa Bay (4-12, .574 SoS)
8. Minnesota (5-10-1, .512 SoS)
9. Buffalo (6-10, .520 SoS)
10. Detroit (7-9, 457 SoS)
11. Tennessee (7-9, .504 SoS)
12. NY Giants (7-9, .520 SoS)
13. St. Louis (7-9, .551 SoS)
14. Chicago (8-8, .465 SoS)
15. Pittsburgh (8-8, .469 SoS)
t16. Baltimore (8-8, .484 SoS)*
t16. Dallas (8-8, .484 SoS)*
18. NY Jets (8-8, .488 SoS)
19. Miami (8-8, .523 SoS)
20. Arizona (10-6, .516 SoS)
21. Green Bay (8-7-1, .453 SoS)
22. Philadelphia (10-6, .453 SoS)
23. Kansas City (11-5, .445 SoS)
24. Cincinnati (11-5, .480 SoS)
25. San Diego (9-7, .496 SoS)
26. Cleveland via Indianapolis (11-5, .484 SoS)
27. New Orleans (11-5, .516 SoS)
28. Carolina (12-4, .494 SoS)
29. New England (12-4, .473 SoS)
30. San Francisco (12-4, .494 SoS)
31. Denver (13-3, .469 SoS)
32. Seattle (13-3, .490 SoS)

* - Coin Flip (source)

Those charts were interesting. If Evans is still somehow around when Lions pick, he sure would seem to be a solid option.

I would be ok with top CB available so those screaming about drafting all D I understand the points being made but still prefer a WR like Evans and then go all D after that. Alas, what will be will be.

Those charts were interesting. If Evans is still somehow around when Lions pick, he sure would seem to be a solid option.

I would be ok with top CB available so those screaming about drafting all D I understand the points being made but still prefer a WR like Evans and then go all D after that. Alas, what will be will be.

Unless Mike Evans runs something like a 4.4, I guarantee you he'll be there at #10. But I think the majority of the board would agree with me that it wouldn't be a good pick at 10 for the Lions to take him.

My current preferences are in this order:
1. Sammy Watkins
2. Justin Gilbert
3. Jake Matthews/Greg Robinson

Sean over at PoD put together a mock draft table for the Lions

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2014/2/6/5378356/2014-nfl-mock-draft-database-lions

I won't bother trying to post the entire table here but I'll go ahead and post the tallies.

Positions (first round)

Wide receiver - 10
Cornerback - 9
Linebacker - 6
Offensive tackle - 2

Players (first round)

CB Justin Gilbert - 5
WR Marqise Lee - 4
CB Darqueze Dennard - 4
WR Sammy Watkins - 3
WR Mike Evans - 3
LB C.J. Mosley - 3
LB Khalil Mack - 2
OT Taylor Lewan - 1
OT Greg Robinson - 1
LB Anthony Barr - 1

It never occurred to me that the Lions could end up with two C.J. Mosleys on the same team.

I would say we go CB unless Watkins is there. WR seems pretty deep. We should be able to get good receivers in the next two rounds. Hate to agree with Kiper, though.

WR 2.0 is buried in the last post on the previous page (here)

Peshek: CB Metrics 1.0
Friday, February 07, 2014

Cornerbacks are a bit more tricky than other positions when it comes to their metrics. If you read a previous post on the problems with CB stats, you’ll understand that the stats are rather ambiguous and can be tricky when taken at face value. I’ll try to be transparent and put them in context, but there are many more confounding factors than say…with a running back.

All numbers are hand charted by me. Because a target or ‘burn’ may be a bit subjective, the numbers won’t always line up with other stat services. However, I’ve used the same criteria for each player which means we can at least compare these stats to each other on an objective basis.

The Trinity of CB Stats

These are what I like to call the trinity of CB stats. Burn rate, which is the number of completions against a defensive back divided by the total number of targets (the number below is adjusted for screens and pass interference). PD Rate which measures how often a DB gets their hands on the ball – a PD rate of 5 would mean the DB defenses the ball once every 5 targets. Finally Snaps/ Targets describes how often the DB is thrown at – the lower the number the more often a DB is targeted.

BUbEKzP.jpg

- Dennard is the clear winner here when it comes to burn rate. While he was targeted at a higher rate than the rest of the CBs, once every 5.73 snaps – he rarely let the WR catch the ball with a burn rate of 27.45%.

- Racking up maybe the most solid overall resume within the ‘trinity’ of stats, Jason Verrett capitalized heavily on his ball skills. He broke up one out of every 2.75 targets which makes him the best ballhawk of this group, if not the entire CB class.

- For a guy who’s getting little hype, Terrance Mitchell did well across all three stat-lines. It may not seem like it, but that burn rate of 35.29% would be best for third in the entire class among the top 10 corners. The biggest concern is that while he had 5 interceptions on the year, he didn’t have many other passes defensed.

- Roby by far comes out looking the worst. He certainly wasn’t helped by his scheme at Ohio State getting beat on nearly 50% of his targets, but on top of that he had the worst passes defensed rate of the entire group. If one category isn’t strong, you’d at least like to see another strong stat – not so here.

Where the Ball was Thrown?

This represents the total percentage of targets for each DB. Targets may not seem important when you can look at YPA/YPC, but it’s important to know if those are being skewed by a number of short or long throws. Green represents a below-average amount of targets while red represent an above-average number of targets. One isn’t better than the other, that’s just the scale I’m using.

4KH3Rp0.jpg

- Darqueze Dennard was targeted heavily on both short and deep passes. That certainly contributed to his lower burn percentage, but he still did a great job defending those passes as we’ll see in the next section. He was tested deep by nearly every Big Ten school he played

- Verrett on the other hand was targeted much more in the intermediate 11-20 yard zone where 38% of his total targets came. You’d rather your DB not be giving up those crucial, NFL style throws, so we’ll check in on his defensive prowess there in the next section as well.

- The scheme at Ohio State forced a lot of passes short on Roby where he was either expected to make a play on the ball, or make the tackle. We can see that nearly 55% of his targets came within 10 yards of the LOS.

- Meanwhile, Gilbert’s came in the intermediate zones where he was targeted an above-average amount of times in the 6-20 yard areas.

How Did the DBs Defend Those Throws?

The completion percentage and target charts are essentially linked. It’s doesn’t matter if someone is getting beat 100% of the time if that only represents 5% of their total targets. Green is representative of an above-average completion percentage meaning that the DB defends those zones better than average. Red, of course, means their completion percentage is worse than average.

mfplSEl.jpg

- Like I mentioned, Dennard while tested deep only allowed an 8.33% completion percentage when targeted 20+ yards. That’s more than half the average for a top-level defensive back showing that his much-debated long speed may not be an issue.

- We can check in on Verrett’s intermediate completion percentage, per the last section here. In the 11-20 yard zone he allowed a 31.58% of passes to be completed, which is above-average. Given how often he was targeted in that intermediate zone and an average completion percentage, that’s definitely something to keep an eye on when watching film.

- Mitchell really succeeds at defending the intermediate and deep zones. His ability to defend those 11-20 yard passes, allowing only a 25% completion percentage is particularly impressive. That may make you feel comfortable about your ability to put him on an island with the WR.

- Justin Gilbert’s inability to defend the intermediate zones combined with his tendency to be targeted there is throwing up all sorts of red flags. Does he have the ability to defend the NFL type routes or is he going to get picked on by better receivers and quarterbacks?

Where Did They Line Up?

This chart represents the technique the defensive back was playing at the start of the play. It’s been simplified down, so press-bail may not represent exact press-bail technique but situations where the DB didn’t get his hands on the WR. This can give you a feel for the experiences of each DB. These don’t tell you about their success playing these, but just the amount they played them.

v0a0BGd.jpg

- Dennard stands out because the numbers bear out exactly what we’d expect – a physical presence at the line of scrimmage. He lined up in press the most out of the top CBs at 27% of the time and then still lined up in press-bail another 28% of the time.

- Verrett may have the least experience playing a variety of techniques. He was lined up 1-5 yards off the line of scrimmage slightly more than half the time. He still had a decent amount of snaps where he played press – around 16% of the time.

- Where Verrett may be the least rounded here, Terrance Mitchell may have the most varied experience. He still pressed the WR 24.42% of the time, but also played off-coverage another 62% of the time.

- Gilbert and Roby both rarely pressed, only doing so around 11% of the time. However where Gilbert played a variety of off-coverage, Roby lined up 6-10 yards off the LOS 67% of the time. Another place the OSU scheme put him in a position to either make a play or give up a completion on short passes.

That’s the extent of the stats here, there are a few more minor stats that I’ve left out for the sake of brevity. I’ll tweet out those and answer any questions on Twitter @NU_Gap. Thanks for reading.

Aaron Colvin, DB, Oklahoma (SR)
Mike Davis, WR, Texas (SR)
Cody Hoffman, WR, BYU (SR)
Keith McGill, WR, Utah (SR)
Weston Richburg, OL, Colorado State (SR)

Prospects the Lions met with at the Senior Bowl.

if we don't take gilbert or trade down and get dennard.....than I would not draft any corners....cut your cap casualties....then make a run at DRC. LKP loves stats....DRC was a top 5 rated corner last year. Adding another rd 2-5 cb to our heap of round 2-5 corners doesn't accomplish much imo.

Good is good, he locked down Mike Evans who went 4 for 8 yards vs him. I can guarantee we draft Jaylen Watkins CB Florida if he is there late. Him and Richburg from Colorado State are high on our radar.

Hopefully Mayhew has youtube clips of the highest quality this year.

Back