Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2014 Draft Thread

Maybe because we score 13 points vs the 4-12 Vikings without CJ.

look at the even bigger picture...total points scored for the year. We ranked 3rd in our division and only scored 4 more points than min the entire year. So anyone that thinks our offense is good to go....were basically Minnesota....and that isn't saying much.

I did all the youtube work for him! pick moncrief in the 4th as an outside WR! IMO a dynamic TE in the middle of the field is even more important than a #2 WR....someone that can open things up for the outside WRs. You get that and you technically should have an unstoppable offense. If you bracket CJ, and pull coverage with a dynamic TE threat in the middle....either bush or the #2 WR just has to beat their man.

that is exactly why you need top talent. we already have middling guys unable to beat their man, we need someone with top talent who can take their guy and even doubles to the woodshed. two CJs are almost unstoppable and make everyone better. fauria can handle TE role and grab another late in draft / FA / undrafted FA, but the #2WR being single covered versus doubled is a huge difference in the D schemes and how dynamic the entire O becomes.

stafford could break Mannings single season TD and yards records with a second stud WR, and as mentioned helps the team remain a possible winner in games CJ is not playing in. no other position can have same impact for this team.

hard to blitz a safety when facing two stud WRs, that is a huge gamble. so 2nd stud WR also means less blitzing of stafford which helps him stat healthier and less skitish. if LBs blitz, bush in the flat or on a draw also has greater chance of breaking a big gain.

not saying DCs would never blitz, but the O will have better chance of burning the D when they do. probably see more 5 and dime Ds too, giving bell better odds of running over the smaller DBs too.

a second stud WR...i even like the chances versus sherman & co in seattle. sure a shutdown corner might negate need to double up our WRs, but i still like the odds better than a guy who might beat single coverage, but might not...and if not then might as well stick with what we already have.

that is exactly why you need top talent. we already have middling guys unable to beat their man, we need someone with top talent who can take their guy and even doubles to the woodshed. two CJs are almost unstoppable and make everyone better. fauria can handle TE role and grab another late in draft / FA / undrafted FA, but the #2WR being single covered versus doubled is a huge difference in the D schemes and how dynamic the entire O becomes.

stafford could break Mannings single season TD and yards records with a second stud WR, and as mentioned helps the team remain a possible winner in games CJ is not playing in. no other position can have same impact for this team.

Stafford needs to improve before thinking about breaking any records. Plus, most fans don't give a flying fuck if Stafford breaks any records. I think fans want playoff wins. The WRs will be fine by adding a few complimentary players. The defense needs more work than the offense.

second stud WR also means it all rides on completing the D. all of the past top WR duos who did not win the super bowl was due to not having a good enough D. shore up the D back 7 with everything available at that point. a stud RB would be nice, but i think combo of Bell and Bush is solid enough that a super stud RB is less important than improving the D back 7, but the O just totally breaks down if CJ is out so they desperately need that second stud WR.

second stud WR also means it all rides on completing the D. all of the past top WR duos who did not win the super bowl was due to not having a good enough D. shore up the D back 7 with everything available at that point. a stud RB would be nice, but i think combo of Bell and Bush is solid enough that a super stud RB is less important than improving the D back 7, but the O just totally breaks down if CJ is out so they desperately need that second stud WR.

Look at the AFC and NFC championship teams.

Denver, 1 stud WR with 2 other good WRs.
Seattle, 0 stud WR, 2 average wr, stud secondary
SF, 0 stud WR, 1 good wr, 1 good TE, stud front 7
NE, 0 stud WR, 0 good wr, 1 stud TE, decent defense.

Stafford needs to improve before thinking about breaking any records. Plus, most fans don't give a flying fuck if Stafford breaks any records. I think fans want playoff wins. The WRs will be fine by adding a few complimentary players. The defense needs more work than the offense.

name the QB in the top 5 TDs and yards who failed to make playoffs? just saying that if stafford does break mannings records, the chances of the team making the playoffs and winning in the playoffs are pretty high.

as for winning in the playoffs that absolutely means a stronger D, not denying that at all. while i would like a C to backup/replace Dom, i'm not opposed to remaining picks being all D related. but you have a far harder time getting a stud WR after R1 who will actually provide the impact that the Lions O needs. complimentary WR has not worked yet, especially when CJ is out. stud WR is a MUST have due to that alone. we aren't talking about a nice to have, we are talking about a MUST have. when CJ goes down, this team becomes as bad as the 0-16 team ever was, they lose their entire playbook it seems while the D keys on stopping the RBs and the O just doesn't do jack. second stud WR means that no longer happens and the Lions have a good chance still. you won't find that type of WR in FA (cost too much) and chances are very slim to find one late in draft or undrafted.

Drafting another stud receiver doesn't mean Stafford won't implode!!! It helps his chances, but doesn't guarantee shit.

name the QB in the top 5 TDs and yards who failed to make playoffs? just saying that if stafford does break mannings records, the chances of the team making the playoffs and winning in the playoffs are pretty high.

as for winning in the playoffs that absolutely means a stronger D, not denying that at all. while i would like a C to backup/replace Dom, i'm not opposed to remaining picks being all D related. but you have a far harder time getting a stud WR after R1 who will actually provide the impact that the Lions O needs. complimentary WR has not worked yet, especially when CJ is out. stud WR is a MUST have due to that alone. we aren't talking about a nice to have, we are talking about a MUST have. when CJ goes down, this team becomes as bad as the 0-16 team ever was, they lose their entire playbook it seems while the D keys on stopping the RBs and the O just doesn't do jack. second stud WR means that no longer happens and the Lions have a good chance still. you won't find that type of WR in FA (cost too much) and chances are very slim to find one late in draft or undrafted.

That's not because they can't replace CJ...it's because the rest of the team is weak. Look at the 49ers. They lost Crabtree for most of the season and were fine. Look at Seattle, they didn't have their #1 WR all year and were fine. Look at NE. They lost their #1 weapon in Gronk and were fine. Complete teams....that is what wins consistantly. Not loading up on the glamour positions and using duct tape on the rest of the team.

from wiki (i know, but stuff like this is usually legit even on wiki):

Passing for 5,000 yards is a rare achievement in the NFL. Dan Marino was the first player to reach the 5,000 mark when he set an NFL record with 5,084 yards passing in 1984.[1] Marino's record remained intact for over a decade after his retirement in 1999.[2] Peyton Manning currently holds the record with 5,477 passing yards in 2013. Drew Brees is the only NFL quarterback to reach 5,000 yards more than once.[3]

NFL players with 5,000 passing yards in a season[edit]

Quarterback Team Passing Yards Season
Dan Marino Miami Dolphins 5084 1984
Drew Brees New Orleans Saints 5069 2008
Drew Brees New Orleans Saints 5476 2011
Tom Brady New England Patriots 5235 2011
Matthew Stafford Detroit Lions 5038 2011
Drew Brees New Orleans Saints 5177 2012
Peyton Manning Denver Broncos 5477 2013
Drew Brees New Orleans Saints 5162 2013

NFL players with 4,000 passing yards in a season[edit]

4,000 yards passing in a season was once considered a very rare feat but has lost a bit of significance over the years. During the 14 game era, only Joe Namath passed for over 4,000 yards in a season with 4,007 yards passing in the 1967 AFL season. During the 1980s and 1990s, 4,000 yards became the standard for the league leaders in the NFL. Over the last decade, 4,000 yards has become almost commonplace in the NFL. In the 2012 season, eleven quarterbacks passed for over 4,000 yards.[8] Peyton Manning has had the most 4,000 yard seasons (13).[9]

I included the 4000 yard comments because they show how 4000 is no longer the magic mark, 5000 is, but also how meeting the mark of that time was a very good sign of a playoff team. the D needs to be there to win in the playoffs but 5000 yards by QB means a very good chance of making playoffs. that is the new standard. having only 1 stud WR reduces that chance greatly.

Drafting another stud receiver doesn't mean Stafford won't implode!!! It helps his chances, but doesn't guarantee shit.

isn't that the main reason for the coaching changes? giving him another serious weapon will also help his confidence, which was easily shaken last year, especially when CJ was not playing. give him a second go-to guy will also make him really think through which option is his best on a given play based on what the D is giving him.

coaches work on footwork this year will help, but he absolutely needs another stud WR. how can anyone look at the games without CJ and not comprehend this is a major problem for the lions currently?

from wiki (i know, but stuff like this is usually legit even on wiki):

Passing for 5,000 yards is a rare achievement in the NFL. Dan Marino was the first player to reach the 5,000 mark when he set an NFL record with 5,084 yards passing in 1984.[1] Marino's record remained intact for over a decade after his retirement in 1999.[2] Peyton Manning currently holds the record with 5,477 passing yards in 2013. Drew Brees is the only NFL quarterback to reach 5,000 yards more than once.[3]

NFL players with 5,000 passing yards in a season[edit]

Quarterback Team Passing Yards Season
Dan Marino Miami Dolphins 5084 1984
Drew Brees New Orleans Saints 5069 2008
Drew Brees New Orleans Saints 5476 2011
Tom Brady New England Patriots 5235 2011
Matthew Stafford Detroit Lions 5038 2011
Drew Brees New Orleans Saints 5177 2012
Peyton Manning Denver Broncos 5477 2013
Drew Brees New Orleans Saints 5162 2013

NFL players with 4,000 passing yards in a season[edit]

4,000 yards passing in a season was once considered a very rare feat but has lost a bit of significance over the years. During the 14 game era, only Joe Namath passed for over 4,000 yards in a season with 4,007 yards passing in the 1967 AFL season. During the 1980s and 1990s, 4,000 yards became the standard for the league leaders in the NFL. Over the last decade, 4,000 yards has become almost commonplace in the NFL. In the 2012 season, eleven quarterbacks passed for over 4,000 yards.[8] Peyton Manning has had the most 4,000 yard seasons (13).[9]

I included the 4000 yard comments because they show how 4000 is no longer the magic mark, 5000 is, but also how meeting the mark of that time was a very good sign of a playoff team. the D needs to be there to win in the playoffs but 5000 yards by QB means a very good chance of making playoffs. that is the new standard. having only 1 stud WR reduces that chance greatly.

funny....none of the teams QBs on that list had more than one stud WR.

Look at the AFC and NFC championship teams.

Denver, 1 stud WR with 2 other good WRs.
Seattle, 0 stud WR, 2 average wr, stud secondary
SF, 0 stud WR, 1 good wr, 1 good TE, stud front 7
NE, 0 stud WR, 0 good wr, 1 stud TE, decent defense.

If you think we can get to SF and Seattle's D faster than we can get to Denver's O by all means let's do it. I think it's the other way around, we are closer to Denver than Seattle or SF. Of course that depends highly on Stafford playing at a high level once we do stack his weapons. NE? Brady and Belichick can win with anyone, substitute Them in for Stafford and Schwartz and were playing for a Super Bowl. I don't think we can draft those two though.

isn't that the main reason for the coaching changes? giving him another serious weapon will also help his confidence, which was easily shaken last year, especially when CJ was not playing. give him a second go-to guy will also make him really think through which option is his best on a given play based on what the D is giving him.

coaches work on footwork this year will help, but he absolutely needs another stud WR. how can anyone look at the games without CJ and not comprehend this is a major problem for the lions currently?

said it before but im on board to give him everything he needs so we can see if he is the problem or not. Give him a TE and a WR and a new coaching staff....he either produces or hasta la bye bye .

CJ>DT
Welker>>>whoever was our slot?
Eric Decker>>>Kris Durham
Orange Julius>>>Droptimus Prime

We don't need two CJs or two DT but we ain't finding Welkers or Deckers at this rate and we can't afford them once they become good through FA.

If you think we can get to SF and Seattle's D faster than we can get to Denver's O by all means let's do it. I think it's the other way around, we are closer to Denver than Seattle or SF. Of course that depends highly on Stafford playing at a high level once we do stack his weapons. NE? Brady and Belichick can win with anyone, substitute Them in for Stafford and Schwartz and were playing for a Super Bowl. I don't think we can draft those two though.

right...Stafford is not Brady or Manning....he is FAR from those two QBs. Seattle and SF BUILT TEAMS. They are complete teams that have depth almost everywhere and DON'T rely on Stud WRs. Denver has a HOF QB, one great WR and some good WRs. Detroit has a slightly above average QB, one great WR and a mediocre defense that is terrible vs. the pass. The smart thing to do is build the team including depth, fill the needs and try and build something that might have some playoff success. Adding another #1 WR is not the answer IMO.

also, Marino had the Marks Brothers, Duper and Clayton.

Brady had Moss and Welker.

those are 2 off the top of my head, further analysis of the others may yield others

CJ>DT
Welker>>>whoever was our slot?
Eric Decker>>>Kris Durham
Orange Julius>>>Droptimus Prime

We don't need two CJs or two DT but we ain't finding Welkers or Deckers at this rate and we can't afford them once they become good through FA.

Welker undrafted FA, Decker & Julius were both 4th round picks. Kind of supports my philosophy of not drafting a WR at 10.

Back